Torres has got a hamstring tear

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Must confess when mine went I got no warning whatsoever. I was in full flight and it just felt like it snapped, (it probably didn't actually snap I wouldn't have thought but it felt like it). The pain then was like someone sticking a serated knife into the back of your thigh and gouging it round and round in a deep circle. Not pleasant, and like I say you don't walk off with that. Not unless you're very tough anyway lol.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm

bigmick wrote:Must confess when mine went I got no warning whatsoever. I was in full flight and it just felt like it snapped, (it probably didn't actually snap I wouldn't have thought but it felt like it). The pain then was like someone sticking a serated knife into the back of your thigh and gouging it round and round in a deep circle. Not pleasant, and like I say you don't walk off with that. Not unless you're very tough anyway lol.

pretty similar to when aurelio snapped his achilles away at PSV a couple of years back. there was nobody within five yards of him and it just went.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 pm

bigmick wrote:Must confess when mine went I got no warning whatsoever. I was in full flight and it just felt like it snapped, (it probably didn't actually snap I wouldn't have thought but it felt like it). The pain then was like someone sticking a serated knife into the back of your thigh and gouging it round and round in a deep circle. Not pleasant, and like I say you don't walk off with that. Not unless you're very tough anyway lol.

the worse injury no bone wise for a footy player is the achilles tendon - it is quite weak anyway but when that snaps you can hear it like a gun shot and the pain is out of this world.

its hard for hamstrings to go just like - if you have warmed up properly - most of the time it happens when you have got a slight tear but dont realise it or you over extend during a sprint . most of the time they go when you go straight into a sprint from standing cold. with the hamstring being such a strong and thick muscle it is a lot of pain when you do have a bloody deep tear . and when you do that you cant walk on it or put any weight on it cause the muscle immedialtly tightens up to protect itself from further damage.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:57 pm

I can't honestly believe you lot are arguing over f*cking recovery times now...

Jesus H. Christ. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Fo Dne wrote:A severe tear (which does need surgery) can take upto six months to heal properly.

Which is what I said.

The website clearly says it can take upto 3 months for the hamstring to heal. That doesn't include complete rehabilitation and the regaining of fitness levels and the required rest. It clearly states for the hamstring to heal, there are different grades of healing.

Let's see what your site says:

"In the case of a complete rupture, the Hamstring muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months."

Given that the site isn't an elite athlete's guide to recovery, the timescales they use are broader, but the timescales they do use are much closer to 2 and a half months, and not 6.

For most top athletes who sustain the injury, it doesn't take anything like 6 months to recover fully. It usually takes about two and a half months. Very fit athletes heal quicker - FACT.

If you rush a hamstring injury, you become at great risk of being prone to it in the future. like Michael Owen. If you don't let the first one heal properly and keep getting them... they can affect your ability to run and also a players speed and agility... like Michael Owen. It can then hinder you as a player and cause other injuries. like Michael Owen.

Owen had a collection of injuries, some concurrent with each other, and it's impossible to say whether or not the injuries he sustained would've recurred had he been given extra time to recover. The style of player that he was - sprinting quickly in short bursts, and using his agility to beat players - probably just made him more prone to the injury than others. Some players are just more prone.

The fact you say a Sunday league player would be out for longer with the same injury shows a complete and utter lack of knowledge...

Elite athletes require shorter recovery times - FACT. A typical sunday league player who sustains a hamstring tear of the same grade would typically take longer to recover in comparison with a Premiership player. FACT.

granted professionals have physio's but so does anyone else...

Yeh.
Only the best physio's in the country, only hyperbaric oxygen chambers, cryogenic chambers, next day MRI scans...

On this occasion you're chatting utter bollocks.
LFC2007

Postby Fo Dne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Elite athletes require shorter recovery times - FACT. A typical sunday league player who sustains a hamstring tear of the same grade would typically take longer to recover in comparison with a Premiership player. FACT.

:laugh:

Course they do - FACT!
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby skatesy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I can't honestly believe you lot are arguing over f*cking recovery times now...

Jesus H. Christ. :D

hahaha  :D
skatesy

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion