Torres & gerrard top pay list - France football

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:28 am

Four of the top ten earners in the world game play for Chelsea, according to France Football magazine’s annual estimates of player salaries. Kaká, of AC Milan, and Ronaldinho, of Barcelona — both Brazilians — head the list, followed by Frank Lampard and John Terry, of Chelsea, who are the highest-earning Englishmen. In addition to Michael Ballack and Andriy Shevchenko, the other Chelsea representatives, three more Barclays Premier League players are in the top ten — Fernando Torres, Cristiano Ronaldo and Steven Gerrard. Ronaldo’s will improve once he has renegotiated his contract.

Top ten earners

Kaká (AC Milan) £6.6m
Ronaldinho (Barcelona) £6.31
F Lampard (Chelsea) £6.04
J Terry (Chelsea) £6.04
F Torres (Liverpool) £5.86
A Shevchenko (Chelsea) £5.77
M Ballack (Chelsea) £5.77
C Ronaldo (Man Utd) £5.69
T Henry (Barcelona) £5.69
S Gerrard (Liverpool) £5.69

Anyone in any doubt why we need financially strong owners, take a look at these salaries.

Also makes you realise the 30 million quid we spend a year to  service the debt would cover 5-6 top players like Gerrard, Henry, Ronaldinho.....  :(
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 am

Kewell would be top of the 'do f*ck all for your money' list.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:56 am

Torres will wear Liverpool's number 9 shirt, which has previously been worn by legendary Liverpool strikers Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush. It was revealed during the Liverpool press conference that the fee stood at £27 million. It has also been widely reported that Torres has taken a pay cut as part of the transfer. A drop from £103,000 a week in Spain, to about £90,000 according to The Times.

At the time of Torres transfer it was said that he had taken a paycut to join Liverpool - £90k p.w. equates to around £4.5million p.a. not £5.86million p.a. ?

I also thought that Rio Ferdinand would have been in the list ? He supposedly got a record deal of £130k per week and is thought to be looking for even more now Ronaldo has had a huge rise.
account deleted by request

Postby redtrader74 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:01 am

I also remember seeing a quote that he took as pay cut, from Torres himself, the fee was also apparently a lot less Saint, as i understand it, it was nearer £21m.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 am

redtrader74 wrote:I also remember seeing a quote that he took as pay cut, from Torres himself, the fee was also apparently a lot less Saint, as i understand it, it was nearer £21m.

Yeah I know mate , but with add ons it could eventually cost us £27.5million. i.e. they get £250,000 for every 15 goals Torres scores, plus presumably cup finals and Titles etc.

I was just surprised to see such a high figure shown for Torres wages.

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:13 am

if the dollar wasn't such a pussy right now Becks would be on the list.  Even with the conversion, Peyton Manning is making 7 milllion pounds a year and his salary is CAPPED by the league.  Alex Rodriguez makes 13.75 million pounds a year in the uncapped baseball league.

lots of NBA players make more than Kaka as well

Right now our footie teams salaries are capped at about 1.25 million pounds with the exception of being able to have 1 player make as much as he wants and only counting for 200,000 pounds against the cap.   So you can imagine what footie in the country could look like if it every got popular to the same levels of NFL and baseball (not really possible for the next 40-50 years though :(   ) I don't ever see Europeans in their prime EVER coming here but maybe one day we could compete for Africa, South America, and Asia's top talent
JoeTerp

Postby big al » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 am

Hey Joe does it not annoy you that so many stars in the US get very high salaries for playing sports that are only relevant to a US public.  They are not international stars. 

just kidding Joe.  On a serious note I have heard that owner of DIC, pays some of his camel jockeys a lot more than any of the figures quoted.  Some are reputed to be paid £10m per year.  plus when they retire they get all the dates they can eat for life.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 am

big al wrote:just kidding Joe.  On a serious note I have heard that owner of DIC, pays some of his camel jockeys a lot more than any of the figures quoted.  Some are reputed to be paid £10m per year.  plus when they retire they get all the dates they can eat for life.

surely that's not "on a serious note"...  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 am

s@int wrote:Torres will wear Liverpool's number 9 shirt, which has previously been worn by legendary Liverpool strikers Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush. It was revealed during the Liverpool press conference that the fee stood at £27 million. It has also been widely reported that Torres has taken a pay cut as part of the transfer. A drop from £103,000 a week in Spain, to about £90,000 according to The Times.

At the time of Torres transfer it was said that he had taken a paycut to join Liverpool - £90k p.w. equates to around £4.5million p.a. not £5.86million p.a. ?

I also thought that Rio Ferdinand would have been in the list ? He supposedly got a record deal of £130k per week and is thought to be looking for even more now Ronaldo has had a huge rise.

yeah would've thought some of the mancs player besides ronaldo would be up there...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:39 am

big al wrote:Hey Joe does it not annoy you that so many stars in the US get very high salaries for playing sports that are only relevant to a US public.  They are not international stars.

I would argue that the basketball players are international stars, in the sense that a good amount of them come from other countries.  I can't think of any country (even the USA) where basketball is the revered sport, and I don't think that is as widely followed in Europe (thats why they come here to play). But nonetheless the players in the league are nearly as diverse as the premier league.
JoeTerp

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:13 am

s@int wrote:Torres will wear Liverpool's number 9 shirt, which has previously been worn by legendary Liverpool strikers Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush. It was revealed during the Liverpool press conference that the fee stood at £27 million. It has also been widely reported that Torres has taken a pay cut as part of the transfer. A drop from £103,000 a week in Spain, to about £90,000 according to The Times.

I was wondering how that works, funny that Wes Brown (reportedly) wants £80k a week which would put him on £4.16m a year and he's nowhere near as good as a lot of people who would be between him and that list. Prize plank he is, could end up moving to a less successful club on a lot lower wage than the mancs pay him. Unless some club really badly wants him, still unlikely to be winning more with whoever that mug might be
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:43 am

Gerrard is the highest earner at the club, by some way as well. Those figures are :censored:, and seem to fit in with the "Torres cost a bomb" theory that all press reporters seem fixeated with. We paid Atletico £17m up front plus Luis Garcia who was valued at £4.5m, so effectively its £21.5m. IT was not revealed at any press conference the fee, it never has been done that way in football.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:49 am

Fernando Torres's goal-scoring hits Liverpool FC in the pocket
Feb 3 2008

FERNANDO TORRES' goalscoring streak this season is set to hit Liverpool where it hurts - the wallet.

The Anfield club has to pay Atletico Madrid an extra £150,000 for every 15 goals Torres scores.

Atletico negotiated the clause in his contract on top of the £21million fee when he came to Merseyside in the summer.

Torres, who has scored 18 goals since arriving in Liverpool, has already triggered one bonus payment to Atletico.

Torres said: "I'm keeping everyone happy! Liverpool get the goals and Atletico get the money.

"I honestly did not think I would score as many goals as I have so soon. But things have gone well for me.

"Now I just want them to go better for the team in general so we can win the league or a cup to reward everyone's hard work."

daily post

This is what I was meaning Leon about the extra payments but its only £150k here rather than £250k.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dundalk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:21 pm

Money very well spent Saint
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:28 pm

the scariest thing about that list is that darren bent is in the top 20. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion