Top four. - It's a case of setting your stall out.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Emerald Red wrote:So I take it the goal posts have now officially been shifted or something? If top four wasn't good enough for Rafa, now all of a sudden top four is good enough?

top 4 wasnt good enough for Rafa because considering the fact that he led us to the ECL and a 2nd place finish, a 7th place finish was something unimaginable. hence thereby a 4th place finish for this season would be an obvious improvement especially when the other clubs, most notably Man City, have vastly improved their squads with really good players which we cannot afford in the current financial climate. need i state the obvious to you?  ??? besides, even if top4 was good enough for Rafa, he failed.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Scottbot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Emerald Red wrote:So I take it the goal posts have now officially been shifted or something? If top four wasn't good enough for Rafa, now all of a sudden top four is good enough?

I'm confident we won't get in the top four. This has been my view since before a ball was even kicked. If I'd come on here and said that contention for the league was over even before we'd played our first match, I'd have been mauled. I'll be surprised if we finish higher than 6th.

That's a bit dramatic for me Red. Everyone got a bit excited when Cole signed up and Stevie and Torres followed suit but I don't think anybody really believed (in the heart of hearts) that we were actually gonna go out and win the thing with everything that's gone on.

As for the goalposts moving in the last 12 months of course they have. Not a soul is giving us a chance for the title this this season. And neither would they if Rafa was still in charge given our performances last seaosn and the escalation of the off the pitch troubles. And as for the question about Top four not being good enough for Rafa? The absolute truth of it is that Rafa would most likely still be in the job if we'd finished top 4 last season mate in which case it would have been good enough for him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:03 pm

I predicted we would finish 5th or 6th before the season started and I've had no reason to change my view on that. If the flair players Gerrard, Torres, Cole and Meireles stay fit and play in the majority of games, we shouldn't be too far off 4th, but I think top 4 will just be out of our reach.
Calum

Postby lakes10 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:06 am

sorry but i think Bigmick is wrong here.

when i looked at the Fixtures Arsenal,Man City,West Brom,Birmingham
i said to myself that we would only have 4 points after them games, yes it was a doom thing to think but we have one point than i said, man u have also missed out on points.
to put thins in a better light all we needed to do it to beat the smaller teams, dont care about the nig teams for now, they will draw a few games with the small teams and might even get beat by some of them, win the ones that count...and thats not the top 4 clubs. hold the top teams to a draw and we will end up very close to them or even above them.

:censored: i just spoke like we are not a top 4 club anymore....need to go and have a rest.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:

top 4 wasnt good enough for Rafa because considering the fact that he led us to the ECL and a 2nd place finish, a 7th place finish was something unimaginable. hence thereby a 4th place finish for this season would be an obvious improvement especially when the other clubs, most notably Man City, have vastly improved their squads with really good players which we cannot afford in the current financial climate. need i state the obvious to you?  ??? besides, even if top4 was good enough for Rafa, he failed.

6th would be an improvement on last year.
But to be honest its sh'it or bust with Roy this season. He has to qualify for the CL so 4th is a must and he knows it. The likes of Gerrard and Torres will give one more season and Roy has to come up with the goods. Its a huge ask to turn the club around under the current circumstances, but I think Roy has the knowledge, experience and wisdom to do it. Hope he gets the luck
Thommo's perm

Postby tonyeh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 am

While we haven't played too well so far, I also think we've done ok. All things considered. We've been unlucky too against Arsenal and Abismal against Man City. However, I think it's possible to break back into the top 4. It's very early days yet and there's a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season.

Roy does have a LOT of work to do and has been left with a lot to clean up as well, IMHO. We still have a lot of dross in the team that holds us back and everyone knows who I'm talking about. The ship still hasn't been steadied yet and Roy hasn't found his key side either and he needs to sort that out quick, or top 4 ambitions will disolve before we know it.

Our general play needs an injection of something however, but that has been the situation for years anyway. We've had a listlessness about us for a long time and that doesn't disappear overnight and last year's reduction in "status" has been a bad blow for the club.

I've been of the opinion that we've been punching above our weight for a number of years anyway and last year's revelation was the chickens coming home to roost, as I've said before. So, I'm not that upset with where we are at the moment. Obviously I want to see improvement and fast, but Roy has only had his hand on the tiller for a very short while and it'll take time. In any case, this season will be no different than the last few in one respect. We'll still be hoping for our rivals to fuck up somewhere along the line. That's been the situation for so long now anyway.

So...top 4 is doable, but there's loads of work to do to get us there and we need "others" to stumble along the way.
tonyeh

Postby In and Out » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah, I reckon we'll get top 4 this season.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 pm

tonyeh wrote:So...top 4 is doable, but there's loads of work to do to get us there and we need "others" to stumble along the way.

Results like last weekend won't happen very often...not our game, but others. Thing is, WE couldn't capitalise and make up ground. It's the same problem for years....and showing no sign of changing this year either.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Scottbot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:18 pm

We are more than capable of finishing top four this season. I will be VERY disapointed if we we don't manage it particularly given the starts Tottenham and City have made to their campaign.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:24 pm

In and Out wrote:Yeah, I reckon we'll get top 4 this season.

you have posted in the wrong thread. Post in the humour thread were we can all have a good laugh at the brilliant joke u have just posted.  :laugh:
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:29 pm

rocky29 wrote:i think will come 8th. And thats if nando keeps fit all season. The team has no balance no creativity and no goalscorers apart from nando.

You're a bundle of laughs ain't ya! Suggest you find a bridge and get it over with lad.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:13 am

Scottbot wrote:
rocky29 wrote:i think will come 8th. And thats if nando keeps fit all season. The team has no balance no creativity and no goalscorers apart from nando.

You're a bundle of laughs ain't ya! Suggest you find a bridge and get it over with lad.

You mean get over it?  :laugh:

:rasp
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 am

Im pretty someone told me or may have read once or twice on some forum that we had this fantastic squad which would have taken/put a credible challenge for the title last season if we had a few more arms around the shoulders.

We strenghened quite well, brought on a respected man manager,   so I cant see why we wont be challenging for the title this year. 
At very least despite early hiccups we should at least be in the hunt for a CL place
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:30 am

laza wrote:Im pretty someone told me or may have read once or twice on some forum that we had this fantastic squad which would have taken/put a credible challenge for the title last season if we had a few more arms around the shoulders.

We strenghened quite well, brought on a respected man manager,   so I cant see why we wont be challenging for the title this year. 
At very least despite early hiccups we should at least be in the hunt for a CL place

:wwww
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 am

rocky29 wrote:
In and Out wrote:Yeah, I reckon we'll get top 4 this season.

you have posted in the wrong thread. Post in the humour thread were we can all have a good laugh at the brilliant joke u have just posted.  :laugh:

You're the one who's been crying about how great Aquilani is and that we should have never loaned such a fantastic player out.

Considering the blokes hardly played football in the last 3 and half years perhaps it is you who should enter the humour joke thread.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion