Top four. - It's a case of setting your stall out.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm

:laugh:
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Nah sorry i was trying to bring abit of comedy into the never ending debate . Ok realism from my point of view .
If we can keep our big players fit ie Torres ,gerrard and cole and this raul fella delivers the goods and our other imortant players like kuyt ,agger , carra have good season's and babel or pacheco play out of there skins and we have a bit of luck and Roy gets his team the way he wants it to play (hopefully positively ) , i think we'll finish atleast fourth . Not beyond the realms of possibilty is it .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crim cram » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm

The schedule set up for Chelsea and against us in the early season.  We've played Arsenal & Man City(a) and will now travel away to Manu after going to Birm who haven't lost at home in 17 games - While Chelsea have played NOBODY!  That's not down to Roy that's because chelsea has had such an easy ride.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Very hard for me to say at this moment in time.
If i had to give an answer i would say yes we can and will finish in the top 4.
We have had tough fixtures so far and after the united games there are some that we should be looking at as a way to get some points on the table.

We without question need to change our approach and be bolder in away games or we wont pick up many points on the road this season.
That ends up making the home games must win, which isnt an ideal scenario.
Like Igor has said though we need our big players to stay fit.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Ben and Igor got it pretty much spot - it will all be down to how we approach games , the set up and tactics , keeping the top guys fit and a little bit of luck - if that all comes together then we can sneak it
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20 pm

Benny The Noon wrote: :laugh:

So you do want Roy to fail
Shame on you
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Ben and Igor got it pretty much spot - it will all be down to how we approach games , the set up and tactics , keeping the top guys fit and a little bit of luck - if that all comes together then we can sneak it

Why didnt you quote this bit as opposed to the smiley i used to have a bit of a giggle at what Igor posted .
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Ben and Igor got it pretty much spot - it will all be down to how we approach games , the set up and tactics , keeping the top guys fit and a little bit of luck - if that all comes together then we can sneak it

Why didnt you quote this bit as opposed to the smiley i used to have a bit of a giggle at what Igor posted .

So us getting relegated would be funny?
Sick
Thommo's perm

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:

So us getting relegated would be funny?
Sick

It was a joke - and i laughed - get a grip
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:06 pm

My point at the start wasn't really to spark a debate about whether or not we'd get fourth, although obviously people are entitled to talk about that if they want. No, my point was twofold really in that firstly we aren't doing as badly as it looks (because none of our rivals are doing that well either), and secondly I think there's a case for approaching things differently than if we are actually trying to win the thing.

On the first point it's beyond dispute really if you look at the table, the teams who are likely to contest fourth are very close together. As I've said a few times now, forget about Chelsea and the Mancs as their objectives are different to ours right now. My guess is you can forget about Arsenal too, but we'd be fools not to be bouyed by a very indifferent start from Man City and Tottenham.

As far as approach is concerned, games such as yesterdays are pretty close to being "must wins" if you want to win the title. Put it this way, both the Mancs and Chelsea would have been throwing the kitchen sink at it with a quarter of an hour left if it was still 0-0. We on the other hand have a different agenda, and as such a point was a sound result even if the performance was the latest in a very long line of indifferent ones.

We aren't that badly off, and IMHO we can and will do a lot better. That won't be enought to win us the league, but we have got enough to make Man City pull out absolutely all the stops to deny us getting fourth. The team, the manager and the fans just need to accept where we are, be realistic and keep their heads.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:15 pm

If we are to challenge man citeh for 4th spot than surely we have a massive challenge ahead of us.. Imo its going to be a close one, if we are to get our main xi working well then surely i could see us almost there but if we don't gel sooner than will probably finish 6th or below. Will have a better idea by december!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm

bigmick wrote:As far as approach is concerned, games such as yesterdays are pretty close to being "must wins" if you want to win the title. Put it this way, both the Mancs and Chelsea would have been throwing the kitchen sink at it with a quarter of an hour left if it was still 0-0. We on the other hand have a different agenda, and as such a point was a sound result even if the performance was the latest in a very long line of indifferent ones.

Not sure how well that sort of agenda will go down with the likes of Gerrard, Torres and Cole? I'm worried we lose this weekend to the mancs, struggle somwwhat in the next couple of games and our season (for these players) is a big soggy biscuit from here on in.

I don't have any title pretentions but you can bet our best players fancy/ied that we can be in and around the race or at least make a bit of a fist of it till Christmas.
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:02 pm

i think will come 8th. And thats if nando keeps fit all season. The team has no balance no creativity and no goalscorers apart from nando.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 pm

So I take it the goal posts have now officially been shifted or something? If top four wasn't good enough for Rafa, now all of a sudden top four is good enough?

I'm confident we won't get in the top four. This has been my view since before a ball was even kicked. If I'd come on here and said that contention for the league was over even before we'd played our first match, I'd have been mauled. I'll be surprised if we finish higher than 6th.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 pm

Of course, that's not to say we couldn't get fourth. But that would take the Yanks to f*ck off before January, and new owners to come in and splash the cash. Then again, targets would have to be identified and brought in also. It's a big ask, really.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion