Too old? - Managers above 60 - 65 yrs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:15 pm

There was an interesting discussion on the radio tonight in which the age of top managers was under the microscope. The oldest manager in the Premiership is Sir Mancshite at 60 .. the debate surrounded whether by the age of 65 mangers should gracefully retire since they could not compete "mentally" at the same level as a Benitez or Mourinhio.   

It was claimed that the pressures associated with managing at the top level meant that realistically anyone above 65 could not really do an adequate job.

Far be it for me to agree.. but in most jobs ppl are made to retire by 65..

In an increasingly ageing population.. ageism is under greater scrutiny now then ever before.. but there is a point when players can loose respect for the likes of Robson because they're seen more as grandfather-figures not necessaily always in touch with the intracacies of new methods of training, diet and fostering tight discipline needed to sheperd the gold plated flock...

On the other hand... is experience a commodity which outweighs an old head ...  difficult one  ???
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:18 pm

:D keep it stirring zara :;):  like me with the best midfield in prem :;):  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:23 pm

:;):

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:46 pm

Good posting from our favourite ladies  :)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:27 am

yeah robson and lately ferguson did seem to go a bit nutty in their old age :laugh:
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:23 am

The arguement that above 60 years old as 'being too old' is not so straight forward as Sir Bobby transformed Newcastle after the shambles caused by the much younger Mr. "Sexy Football" Ruud Gullit when he was into his 60s.

He seem to have lost it now that he is a ripe old 71. That being the case, age above 65 or nearing 70 can be seen as a more conclusive indicator of being too old.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:44 pm

.. agreed.. I think the issue is whether you would appoint an experienced veteran to take the helm at an age of 60+.. some managers will have contracts that will see them reach certain 60+ milestones at the end of the term.. could the managers age be a reason to look to yonger blood... ?

... I think it is a difficult one.. some of the best coaches are older and more experenced.. but some of the younger ones, who are the most innovative and strong advocats of discipline.. which is crucial in this day and age of big money.. are perhaps better a-tuned to the mentality of the player of today...

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:08 pm

Woollyback wrote:Good posting from our favourite ladies  :)

agreed  :D
106-1093504160

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:51 pm

judge wrote:

agree with judge that it's agreable  :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:24 pm

I dont have a problem with manager 65 and over but I dont think that clubs can really look to managers of that age for anything more than a couple of years, I think maybe something where an older manager might come in and act closely with a young manager to offer experience could work quite well but I think Fergie and robson are starting to lose it abit.  They're both outstanding managers but their heyday is over.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby dawson99 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:10 pm

sorry, gonna argue here but i think age is important. Sir Bobby Robson is a great, but lets face it, how many more are there like him?
The young up and coming managers all show a complete different managing style, bringing in diets, zen technicians, pschoanalysts blah blah blah...

I dont agree with all this but the game is completely different now. We are in a new century, have een for a while now and most teams need a new kind of technical manager.

There will always be the odd exemption to every rule (whys the ginger one in girls aloud etc) but as a rule i think the oldies are gonna be pushed out of the top leagues, and im sorry to say but the teams who get the younger managers may well do a lot better
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:21 am

Unfortunately football management is an extremely stressful business and the reality is, when most people hit 65 they are thinking about the golf course or the flower garden.

All the same, Sky showed footage last night of Bobby Robson dribbling a football at one of his last training sessions at Newcastle, and picked up a fair bit of speed and skill for a 71 year old.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:23 am

So there's hope for you yet then JBG  :;):
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:33 am

:D Woolly...

.. it's true that at a certain age the mental faculties will start to "decline".. consentration not there, lapses in memory.... and lets face it how many ppl want to be "working" at that age.. (up at 6am ...) with all the money the top managers earn they can retire comfortably.. I suppose letting go of the buzz is heard..

...but I think a bigger issue .. is the need for "succession planning" .. grooming managers of the future.. "mentoring" future coaches.. and passing on the experience and vast knowledge .. instead of just bowing out of the game.. :)
Last edited by zarababe on Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:46 am

judge wrote:

Creeps  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion