Too many fancy dans! - Why cant we buy british?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spiralstairs00 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:19 am

We sold super Dan, Warnock who has played fantasticly this season is behind Bambi Traore & Gerrard is voted Liverpool fans player of the year while still leading Chelsea & us along a garden path!!! I love Stevie but we all know that if it is'nt this season it'll be next that he'll go either to the Chelsea scum "to win silverwear" or Madrid "to try & play abroard". As for Traore, he plays well in fits & starts but we all know we're waiting for the nightmare game he has every now & again.

Why should'nt we buy British players? There are a few that will be moving clubs this summer & for a change some of them are very good, every bit as good as the overseas players we're being linked with every day! Van der varrt for instance, a winger from the Dutch leagues, a very highly rated winger at that but any better than Wright phillips?? Then theres Baraca of Valencia, 30 years old from a league as good as ours but not as psyical so he'll need a good few months to adapt when theres a certain former Charlton player who cant get a game at the london blue scum who's only 23 & nearly as good as a certain Stevie G (I know you all disagree, but remember his form before leaving charlton). As for defenders, theres Upson, Gabbidon, When fit Wodgate(he'll never play for Madrid), King & Riggott. All available in the summer at the right price according to reports. Barton at Man city Nolan at Bolton, both very good players who'd love to wear the red of Pool! Dont say price because most of the players mentioned here are all reasonablly priced & all the right side of twenty too. YNWA
spiralstairs00

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 am

Not one of those players you mentioned except Woodgate are class footballers.

I agree that Warnock is streets ahead of Traore in every aspect except height, pacey and recovery.

However to say that foreign players aren't good enough is plain stupid. To even suggest the likes of Baraja (who is EASILY as good as Alonso) and van der Vaart are in the same class as Wright-Phillips and Parker is ludicrous.
115-1073096938

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu May 12, 2005 9:50 am

I think Parker would struggl to get into our side.  He wants to play in the middle of the park and Im afraid he isn't in the same class as Gerrard and Alonso.  I agree though, he is a great player.

And unfortunately British players are more expensive, but they are going to get even more expensive soon if Uefa brings in the rule of so many home grown players need to be in your team, so I agree, it may be a good idea to break the bank now before its too late
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 am

stu_the_red wrote:Not one of those players you mentioned except Woodgate are class footballers.

I agree that Warnock is streets ahead of Traore in every aspect except height, pacey and recovery.

However to say that foreign players aren't good enough is plain stupid. To even suggest the likes of Baraja (who is EASILY as good as Alonso) and van der Vaart are in the same class as Wright-Phillips and Parker is ludicrous.

Truly wise words :)
That same point of view as mine.
Every club has to be multinational to be competetive.  :alien:
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu May 12, 2005 12:36 pm

Buying Parker from Chelsea would hardly count as a home grown player (you may have been referring to Warnock though).

I do believe that British players have a bit more bite about them than European ones (hairbands etc), take less time to settle in and are less likely to leave to go back to Europe.

On the downside, I don't rate any of the British or Irish international teams. They produce honest, hard working players and usually good defenders but not many creative types. Probably something to do with how we play when we're children.

Obviously there are exceptions.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu May 12, 2005 12:42 pm

The days of all British teams have gone.  Even in the lower leagues theres europeans and non europeans playing.

I agree that we dont look in our backyard enough and theres too many people who only want proven foreigners but also people who dont want foreigners.

I think its a balance.  We get a nice amount of British players or even local players and try and get class players from abroad.  I think weve got a nice balance to be honest.  I expect to see a few players try and make their mark next season (Warnock, Welsh) but I also expect some transfers as well.

Like it or not, Chelsea have got this balance as well
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 12, 2005 1:08 pm

i would also like to see a few more british lads come to our club. as great as these foreigners are technically, the majority of them don't like the pace, intensity and physicality of the english game.

the problem of course, as mentioned on many occasions, is that english players are ridiculously overpriced. we payed less for morientes than manure payed for alan smith. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 12, 2005 1:13 pm

spiralstairs00 wrote:We sold super Dan,

At this point all attention levels dropped to zero.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu May 12, 2005 1:14 pm

Another problem with English stars is that some of them get into to their heads to be truly great they have to go and join some foreign club. And just to add salt to the wounds do it on a bosman or when their contract has run right down
As already stated, balance is the key
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu May 12, 2005 1:15 pm

We should drop this foreigners dont like it up em attitude.

Who would you rather Savage or Makelele
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 12, 2005 1:35 pm

Gabbidon??? Riggott? ???       :no

sorry, did i miss something, or are we now shopping for div1 players???

We need World Class players.....not 'future stars,' we have been down that road before and it becomes expensive and dissapointing.  Bring in class players, regardless of their nationality, and then let the youth players learn from them.  Warnock is an example of the quality we can bring through and i expect to see more.  Rafa has used the entire reserves side this season and will probably let go a few faces who arn't good enough, thus make room for more talent to get their chance from the lower ranks....something Houllier refused to do.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu May 12, 2005 1:43 pm

spiralstairs00 wrote:We sold super Dan, Warnock who has played fantasticly this season is behind Bambi Traore & Gerrard is voted Liverpool fans player of the year while still leading Chelsea & us along a garden path!!! I love Stevie but we all know that if it is'nt this season it'll be next that he'll go either to the Chelsea scum "to win silverwear" or Madrid "to try & play abroard". As for Traore, he plays well in fits & starts but we all know we're waiting for the nightmare game he has every now & again.

Why should'nt we buy British players? There are a few that will be moving clubs this summer & for a change some of them are very good, every bit as good as the overseas players we're being linked with every day! Van der varrt for instance, a winger from the Dutch leagues, a very highly rated winger at that but any better than Wright phillips?? Then theres Baraca of Valencia, 30 years old from a league as good as ours but not as psyical so he'll need a good few months to adapt when theres a certain former Charlton player who cant get a game at the london blue scum who's only 23 & nearly as good as a certain Stevie G (I know you all disagree, but remember his form before leaving charlton). As for defenders, theres Upson, Gabbidon, When fit Wodgate(he'll never play for Madrid), King & Riggott. All available in the summer at the right price according to reports. Barton at Man city Nolan at Bolton, both very good players who'd love to wear the red of Pool! Dont say price because most of the players mentioned here are all reasonablly priced & all the right side of twenty too. YNWA

Stop living in the past boy. You will never get a top team with only british players. So the real question is, what is your ambition. Having british players, or having a top team.

British players are not value for money. James Beattie £ 6 million pounds!! Nuff said. And you complain about selling "super-dan"? Let me tell you son, Dan was everything but super. Just try to compare him with some of our new midfielders (xabi and garcia). I reckon you think Dan could have controlled midfield in away games in Turin and La Coruna? Have you forgotten how we were ripped to bits in midfield when we played Valencia with murphy in the middle of the park. A little pace, technique and strenght in the opponent, and Dan went missing.

And what about other super players from britain? Michael Thomas, Fat Razor, Psycho Dicks, Babb? Fine collection of extremely limited players. Not saying that foreign is always good. We have had a lot of :censored: from abroad as well.

Just ask yourselves this question. What british players could strenghten our team? What will be their transfer price and is there any chance of their club letting them go?

I'd say Bridge would be a good buy at left back. But he is chelsea property. Then there is A. Cole, J. Terry, Scholes and one or two more. But apart from that nuthin. I remember so well guys screaming for us to buy british in the past. I remember we had to buy Kev Phillips, M Ricketts, Heskey (we bought him unfortunately), T Bramble, Bowyer, Dean Richards, Dar Anderton, Kirkland (unfortunate again) and so on. All these guys, extremely expensive, and not really good players are they?

Houllier was a weak, unsure manager who just did whatever the journalist or the fans wanted just to keep his job a little longer. We now have a strong leader with knowledge. We will get no souness bullsh!t from him. He will sign players irrespective of passport or skincolour. But he will also contribute to a better relationship between the first team and the academy. If we want britons, we have to produce them at the academy by ourselves. Houllier hated the academy and everybody in it. He bought 16 year olds from france instead.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu May 12, 2005 1:51 pm

This old bloke i know has a theory that Liverpool won't win the league again until they have a welsh player in the side. I always remember it being odd coz the old bloke isn't even welsh :laugh:
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby xd3vilx » Thu May 12, 2005 2:03 pm

English Player Are Expensive...I Lv The Way Spanish Footballer Play...They Have The Flair And I Like Their Skills...In England It Is More On Speed...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 12, 2005 2:23 pm

most English players are overrated and over priced....i would have Bridges in, he's a good player, but could you imagine how much Cole, Terry or Downing would cost?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion