Too many fancy dans! - Why cant we buy british?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 17, 2005 6:14 am

banana wrote:
LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
spiralstairs00 wrote:We sold super Dan,

At this point all attention levels dropped to zero.

Oh my god , my sentiments exactly.....i did assume he was talking about d.murphy, but i was sooo hoping i was wrong. 'Super Dan'.....You must be crazy mate, would you rather he or Luis Garcia in the team??? Bit of a no brainer in my book!!!!

That is exactly what this is about.

If you want english, put danny murphy in midfield. If you want quality play xabi alonso.

A lot of guys are so desperate to sign british that they come up with huckerby, johnson, routledge and nolan. Relegated sh!t. Proven losers.

Do you honestly believe LFC will sign those guys?
Do you honestly believe LFC can challenge for top prizes with players like that?
Do you honestly believe those players can make LFC a better team?

The obvious answer is NO

Then please shut @p and let Benitez do his work. If british talent are going to play for LFC, we have to produce that talent by ourselves in the academy.

You really get wound up dont you .

Just to get you going even more LETS BUT BRITISH.

They will improve our team and stop Rafa doing his job. :laugh:
66-1112520797

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 17, 2005 7:09 am

Ideally, we should be buying a couple of British players but there are no noteworthy ones available to us for some sane amount of money. The really good ones are not available to us.

I hope Benithez can pull a Wenger in the transfer market - buy a few very good players at relative bargain transfer prices and improve the squad tremendously - but only this part, not the whining Wenger!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 17, 2005 9:57 am

If you want to put a few points on the Premiership total by the end of next season, absolutely for certain then one player stands out for me. If you want to strengthen the spine, make us more able to go away and get a result it's the same guy. You want somebody who the whole team looks at and thinks, "I'm glad he's playing". You want LEDLEY KING. Let's get on the phone and find out how much they want for the England centre-half at the 2010 World Cup. My guess is around about 15 million. My feeling is that he's worth every penny.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:08 am

bigmick wrote:If you want to put a few points on the Premiership total by the end of next season, absolutely for certain then one player stands out for me. If you want to strengthen the spine, make us more able to go away and get a result it's the same guy. You want somebody who the whole team looks at and thinks, "I'm glad he's playing". You want LEDLEY KING. Let's get on the phone and find out how much they want for the England centre-half at the 2010 World Cup. My guess is around about 15 million. My feeling is that he's worth every penny.

Agreed Mick - King would be an excellent signing, but £15M would eat up a lot of the rumoured £25M-£30M earmarked for this summer.  But I doubt Spurs would let him go without a fight.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 17, 2005 11:31 am

A good thread with so much to talk about, and so much sh@te on it.
Wright-Phillips would cost a stupid amount, although would be a definate improvement and would go straight into the side.
Any british player we are linked with the price goes up ridiculuosly and also people say they are proven. PROVEN at the previous club, but there is a pressure that comes with playing for lfc that some players arent upto. Players like Clough struggle to cope with the expectation. So just because they have performed well in the league the previous season doesnt mean they will slot in and perform from day one.
Van der vaart is a mile better than wright phillips and would probably cost less...i havent seen him linked with us anywhere but would rather have him without doubt.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:33 am

True, but if we could get him for around £10-£13 million i wouldnt bite spurs hand off... id bite their whole arm off!
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:39 am

Mick i don't think he's the answer at all mate.

He's a good player, but not class, not from what i've saw.

I'd rather we had a fit Jonathon Woodgate, he's by far the better player.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue May 17, 2005 11:47 am

stu_the_red wrote:I'd rather we had a fit Jonathon Woodgate, he's by far the better player.

ok we'll just wait three years then :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:48 am

personally i dont see what all the fuss about ledley king is about either, he's good no doubt but no world beater, and for the prices ive seen mentioned deffo not worth anything in the £12 mil plus range.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:54 am

if he was available for £6m to £8m i'd go for him. But Spurs are after silly money.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:56 am

stu_the_red wrote:if he was available for £6m to £8m i'd go for him. But Spurs are after silly money.

exactly, he's good and would strengthen our defence but spurs would want £15 mil plus and thats just ridiculous in my view.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 17, 2005 12:03 pm

as centre backs go, i'd seriously make an effort to get christian chivu from roma. the guy is a superb player, and he's left footed which is a rare commodity for a centre half. at the moment, roma are still not safe from relegation and are in financial turmoil.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 17, 2005 12:03 pm

I've got the feeling that Rafa will make one huge signing of about 15- 20 milloin in the summer....the rest will be around the 4-6 million mark.

If the board give Rafa 30 million + the sales of players...i reacon he'll have a kitty of 45 million to spend as e wishes and don't expect him to be held to randsome for any player, least of all Spuds
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue May 17, 2005 12:24 pm

Danny Gabbidon and Im serious. With the right manager he could be seriously classy.  Assuming Hypia and Carragher remain together next season and with Pellegrino coaching more than playing.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Traore go central as well as with a rejuvenated Kewell we have some good options on the left.

I would like to see a big money purchase in midfield/right midfield
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue May 17, 2005 12:43 pm

stmichael wrote:as centre backs go, i'd seriously make an effort to get christian chivu from roma. the guy is a superb player, and he's left footed which is a rare commodity for a centre half. at the moment, roma are still not safe from relegation and are in financial turmoil.

A good shout, he was quality at Ajax and takes rocket JAR style freekicks as well.
He probably wouldnt cost as much as King either with Roma struggling near the bottom of Serie A and in financial difficulty.
Woodgate for me is a non-starter, he IS class but hasn't played more than 6 games in a row in 3 years. Too risky.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion