Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:08 pm

GYBS wrote:didnt we only really loose once with torres up front on his own in the league and that was against the mancs ?

?????

Not sure but possibly..who gives a fu'ck..lets all moan about it anyway!! :no
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Sabre wrote:BTW Stu, Spain won that final with one striker, and against Germany, those guys who if you make a mistake, they'll make pay .

Also I don't know why playing one striker is negative, when Torres showed yesteryear that he can score tons of goals. If only we had the defensive solidness we are showing this season until the last game, it would have been a much better season the last one.

For me both systems are valid, and some oppo teams will be more vulnerable depending on what formation we use. Rafa did warn about this in summer, he said we'd play 2 formations, and 3 tops. 2 different formations can be assimilated with no problems by any squad.

I have never in my life had a go saying playing one striker is negative. I'm not that stupid Sabre and I actually understand the game lad. Read every one of my posts over the years and you'll clearly see I've never ever once gone on about playing one upfront as negative.

What I was having a go at was changing a winning side just because the idiot wanted to give Mascherano (who done absoloutely :censored: all) a game.

Gerrard was moved completely and stupidly out of position into a position which gets 50% of his game out of him and we dropped a striker who just scored and broke his duck for a defensive midfielder.

Its called stupidity. Nothing more, nothing less.

We have a winning side, we're winning and playing quite well, Gerrard and Alonso are playing really well and dominating games, Keane and Torres look like they're finally starting to hit it off.... Oh yes I know, lets change it and :censored: everyone around and change the team around.

:no
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Number 9 wrote:
GYBS wrote:didnt we only really loose once with torres up front on his own in the league and that was against the mancs ?

?????

Not sure but possibly..who gives a fu'ck..lets all moan about it anyway!! :no

sorry mate - no mate happy clapping from me

1.Rafa is :censored: - cause ummm he is rafa
2.Kuyt is :censored: cause ummm he scored the winner
3.Arbeloa is :censored: cause ummm he helped set up the first
4.Pepe is :censored: cause he let one in
5.Torres is :censored: cause he missed a sitter
6.Gerrard is :censored: cause he didnt score but set up the equaliser
7.Skittles is :censored: cause he got injured
8.Yossi is :censored: cause he came on and set up the winner

have i missed anyone out mate  :p  :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:14 pm

And yet changing the formation against Middlesbro' Sunderland and Liege from 4-4-2 won us the games, changing it again to 4-4-2 against Citeh won us the game ....... maybe there is a pattern emerging here?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:14 pm

Fo Dne did rafa tell you he played masher just to give him a game ?

So last year when gerrard was playing just behind torres he was only playing at 50% ?

So before man city you think we were playing quite well yet every post you made was slagging off something saying we were playing :censored: and how things on paper that are wrong ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
taff wrote:Or lets just look for different angles to have a go at Rafa

It amazes me on this forum that if we lose its Rafa and if we in its despite him.

I am amazed today.  I looked forward to logging on because I was excited to read peoples views after we come back from two goals down and get three points.  To read the topics and peoples comments amaze me. 

Man Utd got out of jail against Bolton with the "best player in the world" and an amazingly expensive forward line up.  They dont care its three points, what is happening to us? have we forgotten how to be happy
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:18 pm

s@int wrote:And yet changing the formation against Middlesbro' Sunderland and Liege from 4-4-2 won us the games, changing it again to 4-4-2 against Citeh won us the game ....... maybe there is a pattern emerging here?

Is it called adapting to how the game is going and having options and not being stuck in one formation and rafa has the nounce and knowledge to be able to change it when its needed .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Tony, we looked a better team in the 2nd half fullstop.  We were playing well from the re-start using the same formation as the first half.  We then gained the extra man, which almost always helps (especially when City opted not to bring on another defender) and only then did we revert to 4-4-2.  We scored virtually straight away to bring us level and always looked the more likely to push on for the win.  Perhaps reverting to 4-4-2 helped but, in all honesty, there's no way to say for sure given the sending off and the sharp upturn in our play well before Keane came on for Masch.  I've got know problem with people saying they would have preferred to see 4-4-2 from the outset...I just have a problem with the claim that we 'obviously' looked a better side once we reverted to 4-4-2.

You were watching a different team lad. I saw the side come out in the second half and look more positive and with a bit between the teeth but the fact is Mascherano was still doing absoloutely nothing. About 40 minutes into the game I was saying Keane has to come on for Mascherano to give us a chance. He wasn't influencing the game at all, even after we'd stepped it up in the second half.

When he came on the change in style and quality of the play was what made the come back a genuine possibility. We all of a sudden had an outlet and were playing alot higher up the pitch and we had a spark. I like Mascherano alot, I really do. But yesterday he done nothing, moving Gerrard back into midfield and bringing on Keane was the correct decision given the circumstances.

It was however only a correction of a previous mistake made by Rafa himself and to be quite Honest, had it been me, I'd have given the team bout 3 minutes after the first goal before making the change, not 10.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:25 pm

We won away from home and the team look determined and confident.  That is a sign of good management, if not then ferguson, Wenger and Mourhinho have been lucky.

We cannot romp and dominate every game and players will go up and down but this team IMO looks genuinely together and this win again IMO is brilliant.  Teams win leagues with confidence, determination, team spirit and luck
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:26 pm

GYBS wrote:Fo Dne did rafa tell you he played masher just to give him a game ?

So last year when gerrard was playing just behind torres he was only playing at 50% ?

So before man city you think we were playing quite well yet every post you made was slagging off something saying we were playing :censored: and how things on paper that are wrong ?

:laugh:  :kungfu:
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Fo Dne wrote:What I was having a go at was changing a winning side just because the idiot wanted to give Mascherano (who done absoloutely :censored: all) a game.

Who is the bigger idiot ?

The one who is managing Liverpool in the Premier League or the one who is managing Rag Ar.se Rovers in the Who Gives A Sh.it Memorial League and thinks he knows better than the one managing Liverpool ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm

:laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:What I was having a go at was changing a winning side just because the idiot wanted to give Mascherano (who done absoloutely :censored: all) a game.

Who is the bigger idiot ?

The one who is managing Liverpool in the Premier League or the one who is managing Rag Ar.se Rovers in the Who Gives A Sh.it Memorial League and thinks he knows better than the one managing Liverpool ?

Who's the bigger idiot?

The sheep or the one following it?
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Stay on topic lads its a good discussion (one of the few), don't ruin it.
account deleted by request

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:34 pm

s@int wrote:Stay on topic lads its a good discussion (one of the few), don't ruin it.

Who went off topic?
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion