Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tonyeh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:29 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
tonyeh wrote:There's no doubt, when Liverpool changed back to the 4-4-2, they operated as a far stronger team. In fact, the scoreline could easilly have been wider at the end.

Reality check.  We scored our first playing the original formation.  The second came off a corner when we had reverted to 4-4-2 but, crucially, we were playing against 10 men.  Our third came when it was 10 against 10 and we Alonso playing auxiliary CB.  Reverting to 4-4-2 did not win us this game.  FACT.

Ah...but I didn't say it won us the game Bob. I said we looked a far stronger team.  :;):
tonyeh

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:35 pm

What did make us a stronger team, the formation change or the goal. As far as I know a goal can change your mindset and the game far more than anything else.

(Sorry Bob, indeed the main point was another, you're right).
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Sabre wrote:What did make us a stronger team, the formation change or the goal. As far as I know a goal can change your mindset and the game far more than anything else.

(Sorry Bob, indeed the main point was another, you're right).

I'd say the goal definately in this instance.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 pm

Actually, maybe it was the bollocking the team got at half time that did the trick. :D

It's difficult to say now, TBH. But definitely yesterday, it seemed that in the second half with changes, Liverpool went up a gear. Of course, Bob is correct about the sendng off having a factor on the game.

But, Liverpool looked like they wouldn't have scored in the first half, if it had gone on for 3 hours.
tonyeh

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Tony, we looked a better team in the 2nd half fullstop.  We were playing well from the re-start using the same formation as the first half.  We then gained the extra man, which almost always helps (especially when City opted not to bring on another defender) and only then did we revert to 4-4-2.  We scored virtually straight away to bring us level and always looked the more likely to push on for the win.  Perhaps reverting to 4-4-2 helped but, in all honesty, there's no way to say for sure given the sending off and the sharp upturn in our play well before Keane came on for Masch.  I've got know problem with people saying they would have preferred to see 4-4-2 from the outset...I just have a problem with the claim that we 'obviously' looked a better side once we reverted to 4-4-2.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

I actually thought the 1st 15 minutes were really good in the pace that we were playing at. I mean we had 78% possession compared to man City's 22%. The only thing we lacked was being able to penetrate City's defence with the final ball. However after that initial spell, we were shocking for the rest of the half.

This season it seems we need to go behind to really wake ourselves up.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tonyeh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Well, I'm not really disagreeing with anything you're saying Bob. You're correct in saying that there was probably not one single turning point in the game yesterday.

But, in saying that, I'm just not convinced in using a single player up front as a winning formula...especially for Liverpool.

If it's used again, I will certainly have the same reaction to it as I had at the beginning of the match yesterday. Uncomforatble.
tonyeh

Postby Bam » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:34 pm

But, in saying that, I'm just not convinced in using a single player up front as a winning formula...especially for Liverpool.

Its not as negative as people would have you believe.

Last season it turned our form right around and Torres was excellent playing in that role.

I just dont think its neccesary to change formation from one week to the next. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Rafa does change formation every game. But the 4-4-2 served us really well, as did the 4-2-3-1 last season. But when your on form playing in whatever formation your playing in, I dont think its wise to rock the boat and shuffle the pack around for me its a very risky thing to do.

Last season Rafa went with one upfront and changed formation, at the time there was talk of him loosing his job. Our performances were dire, I dont think we were very convincing and we're desperately struggling. He changed and went with the 4-2-31 formation and it worked a treat. For me thats the time to start changing your approach .... When all else fails and the results arent going you way.

So this season until we do hit a serious blip in form and find ourselves in a rut, that would be the time to change things around. But not when your in the middle of a b.loody good run, all the players know their jobs and are brimming with confidence.

But what would I know, Rafa got it right yesterday :D

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:50 pm

The stats for Torres for last year are ...

33 games played in

17 games scored in

10 draws

4 scored in.

Overall...21 wins, 13 draws, 4 losses. 11 points behind Utd.

Not good enough to challenge for the title.
tonyeh

Postby Bam » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 pm

tonyeh wrote:The stats for Torres for last year are ...

33 games played in

17 games scored in

10 draws

4 scored in.

Overall...21 wins, 13 draws, 4 losses. 11 points behind Utd.

Not good enough to challenge for the title.

We didnt play one upfont all season long.

Check, and re-arrange your stats.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Its generally accepted that we only changed to 4-2-3-1 after the defeat to Barnsley, Torres stats after that game are :- played 16 scored 15 which ain't bad at all imo.

Or in the league played 12 scored 12 which may be even better ?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:04 pm

tonyeh wrote:Well, I'm not really disagreeing with anything you're saying Bob. You're correct in saying that there was probably not one single turning point in the game yesterday.

If it's used again, I will certainly have the same reaction to it as I had at the beginning of the match yesterday. Uncomforatble.

Did you not watch Liverpool playing the second half of last season then?
If you did you will certainly understand that it can be a winning formula!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:04 pm

We got out of jail but who cares its three points.

Or you could argue that it was tactical superiority, the game stats seem to point that way.

Or lets just look for different angles to have a go at Rafa
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 pm

didnt we only really loose once with torres up front on his own in the league and that was against the mancs ?

?????
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:06 pm

taff wrote:Or lets just look for different angles to have a go at Rafa

It amazes me on this forum that if we lose its Rafa and if we in its despite him.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion