Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm

I'll get my coat :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 pm

s@int wrote:I am still trying to get over the fact that everyone is talking about sex........ and Judge made a football post :D

:laugh:  :laugh:
Conformation that the forums gpne mad!
PMSL
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:07 pm

s@int wrote:Yeah Masch played ONE game below par .... bench him. Alonso plays cr@p for a season and a half and he's the best thing since sliced bread and should be playing every week.

Sorry Stu I like your posts and think you make a lot of sense at times, but I can't agree with you on this one. I think like a few on here you have a blind spot where Alonso is concerned. I hope Alonso continues to play well (thats 2.5 games this season in which he has anyway)

Masch has only played 4 games this season and he has been m.o.t.m in 2 of them. Alonso 10 games m.o.t.m once.

In your opinion he was Man of the Match.

It seems all players have to do to win praise these days is run round alot and win a few tackles.

Mascherano for me is overated by our own as I've said. He's no better (or worse for that matter) than Xabi as a player. The fact is though, Xabi compliments Gerrard. Mascherano doesn't. They are the simple facts of the matter. NOTE TO ALL THE CLUELESS BELLENDS! I AM NOT SAYING HE'S A BAD PLAYER, HE'S A QUALITY PLAYER!

If we had Scholes in central midfield as apose to Stevie, I'd take Mascherano all day as I feel they'd compliment each other better and they would work better for the team. But we don't, we have Stevie. Therefore its got to be Xabi when fit.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm

s@int wrote:And yet strangely Liverpool score MORE GOALS when Masch plays than when Alonso plays ?

Oh behave yourself! Don't start with all that :censored:!

Our biggest win last season comes with Gerrard off the pitch. Our best win of this season was again with Gerrard for much of the match and our best striker.

Don't come at me with the stats malarky. Stats can be twisted to make them support just about any arguement.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Fans' MOTM table 2008-09:

Steven Gerrard: 3

Fernando Torres: 2

Javier Mascherano. 2

Pepe Reina: 2

Xabi Alonso: 1

Jamie Carragher: 1

Daniel Agger: 1

Liverpoolfc.tv MOTM table 2008-09:

Fernando Torres: 3

Javier Mascherano: 2

Steven Gerrard: 1

Dirk Kuyt: 1

Pepe Reina: 1

Alvaro Arbeloa: 1

Apparently not just in my opinion mate
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:And yet strangely Liverpool score MORE GOALS when Masch plays than when Alonso plays ?

Oh behave yourself! Don't start with all that :censored:!

Our biggest win last season comes with Gerrard off the pitch. Our best win of this season was again with Gerrard for much of the match and our best striker.

Don't come at me with the stats malarky. Stats can be twisted to make them support just about any arguement.

Yeah, but its always nice when they support MINE  :D

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Sabre wrote:I'll get my coat :D

No dont, stick around.

This is the gist of it Sabre.

From my point of view and before the game against City I would have stuck with the same team that won against PSV. Xabi and Gerrard have done excellently well together, and for me its the first time this partnership has really worked, I'd of liked to of seen it go on, plus I would of liked to of seen Keane start.

As it happens Rafa changed the formation around, much to my dissmay. Mascha did have an average game by his standards, Xabi faired a little better. Having a decent run in the side would of helped Xabi achieve this, Mascha's just come back into the side, he hasnt played at his usually MotM standards he can.

Then immediately he gets slaughtered by Stu because of it. Stu who allows Nando to have the odd bad game, because he's usually class, Xabi the odd average one and a half seasons FFS !

Its a tad hypocritical IMO.
Last edited by Bam on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Number 9 wrote:
s@int wrote:I am still trying to get over the fact that everyone is talking about sex........ and Judge made a football post :D

:laugh:  :laugh:
Conformation that the forums gpne mad!
PMSL

then that makes me sane

woohoo  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Ah...but do they win more games? :D
tonyeh

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:27 pm

s@int wrote:Fans' MOTM table 2008-09:

Steven Gerrard: 3

Fernando Torres: 2

Javier Mascherano. 2

Pepe Reina: 2

Jamie Carragher: 1

Liverpoolfc.tv MOTM table 2008-09:

Fernando Torres: 3

Javier Mascherano: 2

Steven Gerrard: 1

Dirk Kuyt: 1

Pepe Reina: 1

Alvaro Arbeloa: 1

Apparently not just in my opinion mate

Listen lad, I don't care for other peoples rubbish opinions on things they know nothing about. I really don't.

They often pick favourates in things like that. The amount of times I've heard Aldo (and I like Aldo) give Gerrard Man of the match on radio city then been left scratching my head wondering why isn't even funny.

I know what I see, I know how to assess a player, I know what a player should do when they have the ball and when they don't, I know the positions they should be in, I know what a level of player will do what when they have the ball in certain positions, I know what the likes of Ferdinand will do in comparrison to Carragher, I know what the likes of Fowler or Shearer would do in comparrison to Kuyt. You get pictures of what players do in your head and you asses whats good and whats bad. You compare what different players would do in different situations, what positions they take up.

You see how other teams hurt your team. People don't understand the little things it takes to win football matches. The reason I'm so against Kuyt being in the side is the way he consistently hinders us. The smallest details can win matches, where you can improve and what makes things as they are.

The more basic the level, the more simple the game and the more simple the things you need to do to win the game.

In the premier league, having one player consistently giving the ball away can have a massive effect in a number of area's of the team. For example... Can't be arsed goin into it again. Goin to work.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Bam wrote:
Sabre wrote:I'll get my coat :D

No dont, stick around.

This is the gist of it Sabre.

From my point of view and before the game against City I would have stuck with the same team that won against PSV. Xabi and Gerrard have done excellently well together, and for me its the first time this partnership has really worked, I'd of liked to of seen it go on, plus I would of liked to of seen Keane start.

As it happens Rafa changed the formation around, much to my dissmay. Mascha did have an average game by his standards, Xabi faired a little better. Having a decent run in the side would of helped Xabi achieve this, Mascha's just come back into the side, he hasnt played at his usually MotM standards he can.

Then immediately he gets slaughtered by Stu because of it. Stu who allows Nando to have the odd bad game, because he's usually class, Xabi the odd average one and a half seasons FFS !

Its a tad hypocritical IMO.

I've never once slaughtered Mascherano.  ???
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Have you ever seen Stu when making comparisons not exagerating a bit? Him saying Mascherano is not a bad player nor worse than Alonso must be actually translated as a huge praise.

I get my coat because I don't like to start making comparisons, because we end up in OTT statements, like Mascherano and Gerrard not being compatible, or "Alonso played cr@p for a season and a half" in the other side. The reality is that Alonso had problems with injuries, struggled a bit to come off them. The reality is that Mascherano is the same defensive beast he was last season, he just have been in Beijing. Him not playing more is probably more related with him being in Beijing than Alonso's form. It seems to me that Rafa is a bit "resentful" with players that are not available when the season has started!

No, no, I don't want to enter this debate because I rate both players a lot. No more comparisons from me.

The bit about Mascherano just coming back to the team, not deserving to be criticised harshly, and acknowledging that it's unfair to criticise harshly for an average (not bad) game, is correct, though. I don't think he's incompatible with Gerrard, neither. Less compatible? perhaps, and only a bit. But let's be serious here, 96% of the teams in Europe would dream to have a Mascherano-Gerrard pairing, so even if he's a bit less compatible, we must know placing that statement in a context: they're still a hell of a good pairing.

Just as we have to put in context when we say Alonso is below his average, that doesn't mean cráp.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Jesus........I just can't read that Sabre....sorry.

The lads who use that red text on here are blinding me.
tonyeh

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Not arguing that mate .... just saying its not just me that thought Masch was M.O.T.M. a couple of times.

Just DON'T get into the whole "unseen" business, it does my head in. A player plays well for 12 months and has everyone saying how well he has played. Starts to play badly and suddenly no one but the chosen few can see why he's still playing well ? FFS he hid it so well even Rafa couldn't see it and dropped him!  :D

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:37 pm

tonyeh wrote:Jesus........I just can't read that Sabre....sorry.

The lads who use that red text on here are blinding me.

Humm... I turned it red a lot time ago in some sort of gesture to support the team in a difficult moment -- can't remember :D

But the last day I was thinking about the legibility when reading newkit in another screen that's not mine, I did see that depending on the screen it was difficult to read.

So, I'll revert to black font. Thanks for the comment.
:)

P.S. Done I think
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion