Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:07 pm

s@int wrote:I am still trying to get over the fact that everyone is talking about sex........ and Judge made a football post :D

f'uck off s@int

it was a bloody good football post
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:1. To you it might have seemed sensible, to Keane and a few other players in the team, awell as some supporters, it would probably seem stupid. Changing your best players position, dropping a striker who's just scored in order to give a midfielder a game is plain stupidity. It was only the fact he realised how stupid a mistake it was then decided to correct it we won the game.

Yeah, so stupid to employ TACTICS and change formation to counter the opposition's ATTACKING THREAT by playing cover in midfield, to try and control possession and nullify said threat. Much better to play two strikers, because one has scored in the last game, ignoring completely the fact that with two up front we'd have lost our midfield advantage and the two strikers would quite possibly been stood upfield starved of supply.

As for the latter sentence, ballacks. The starting XI turned the game, Keane nearly contributed to the comeback but didn't turn the game around as you're suggesting. Even if the starting tactics hadn't worked it wouldn't make the decision incorrect.

Of course had it been a home game then keeping the same XI would have probably been correct

Yeah, totally, Gerrard and Alonso aren't good enough to dominate a midfield away from home.

For the record, Mascherano had a complete shocker aswell. We got back into the game with the starting eleven, the changes had a massive impact in the play, allowing us to platy much higher up the pitch, the also helped get more out of Gerrard and Keane contributed more in 25 minutes than Mascherano did in 65.

How anyone can sit there and say the subs weren't the turning point is completely beyond me. Also, I didn't see us lose control against City's wonderful team (that Gerrard and Xabi) couldn't cope with when Keane actually did replace Mascherano. As I said, if anything that pushed us up another gear.

If it had been Alonso who passed the ball out wide to Gerrard who in turn played Arbeloa (who doesnt get forward "atall" cough) through for our first goal instead of Mascha.
You'd of been on here creaming yourself, and professing how intelligent and wonderful Alonso is, and that he's the only player in the side who has the vision and ability to play a ball like that. We'd never hear the end of it.

You really make me laugh in disbelief sometimes, you really do.
Last edited by Bam on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Owzat wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:1. To you it might have seemed sensible, to Keane and a few other players in the team, awell as some supporters, it would probably seem stupid. Changing your best players position, dropping a striker who's just scored in order to give a midfielder a game is plain stupidity. It was only the fact he realised how stupid a mistake it was then decided to correct it we won the game.

Yeah, so stupid to employ TACTICS and change formation to counter the opposition's ATTACKING THREAT by playing cover in midfield, to try and control possession and nullify said threat. Much better to play two strikers, because one has scored in the last game, ignoring completely the fact that with two up front we'd have lost our midfield advantage and the two strikers would quite possibly been stood upfield starved of supply.

As for the latter sentence, ballacks. The starting XI turned the game, Keane nearly contributed to the comeback but didn't turn the game around as you're suggesting. Even if the starting tactics hadn't worked it wouldn't make the decision incorrect.

Of course had it been a home game then keeping the same XI would have probably been correct

Yeah, totally, Gerrard and Alonso aren't good enough to dominate a midfield away from home.

For the record, Mascherano had a complete shocker aswell. We got back into the game with the starting eleven, the changes had a massive impact in the play, allowing us to platy much higher up the pitch, the also helped get more out of Gerrard and Keane contributed more in 25 minutes than Mascherano did in 65.

How anyone can sit there and say the subs weren't the turning point is completely beyond me. Also, I didn't see us lose control against City's wonderful team (that Gerrard and Xabi) couldn't cope with when Keane actually did replace Mascherano. As I said, if anything that pushed us up another gear.

course they(Gerrard and Xabi) didn't have problems with City's attack, Citeh were down to 10 men, and we had all the momentum.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd trust Alonso and Gerrard to control a midfield against anyone to be quite honest. I think at times it may need adjusting depending on the opposition, maybe away to Chelsea or away to United but Maybe I'm just overated Gerrard and Alonso.

Maybe they aren't really that good. For me, they should play pretty much every week in the premier league, with Riera on the left and Keane and Torres upfront there is enough talent and quality in there to adjust to teams that play with five in midfield. The amount of harrying Keane and Torres do and tracking back from Keane helps gain control even when they are outnumbered.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Fo Dne wrote:For the record, Mascherano had a complete shocker aswell. We got back into the game with the starting eleven, the changes had a massive impact in the play, allowing us to platy much higher up the pitch, the also helped get more out of Gerrard and Keane contributed more in 25 minutes than Mascherano did in 65.

The reason we didn't lose control might be attributed to the fact that Citeh had just had a player sent off when Masch was subbed.

Masch was involved in our first goal mate, and while I didn't think he had a great game...... he was no worse than Alonso in the first half.

We scored our second from a corner just after Masch went off. Do you think Masch going off made Gerrards delivery that much better?

So that gets us to 2-2 against a side with 10 men..... who do you think is going to dominate play and who do you think has the momentum in their favour?
account deleted by request

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:26 pm

s@int wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:For the record, Mascherano had a complete shocker aswell. We got back into the game with the starting eleven, the changes had a massive impact in the play, allowing us to platy much higher up the pitch, the also helped get more out of Gerrard and Keane contributed more in 25 minutes than Mascherano did in 65.

The reason we didn't lose control might be attributed to the fact that Citeh had just had a player sent off when Masch was subbed.

Masch was involved in our first goal mate, and while I didn't think he had a great game...... he was no worse than Alonso in the first half.

We scored our second from a corner just after Masch went off. Do you think Masch going off made Gerrards delivery that much better?

So that gets us to 2-2 against a side with 10 men..... who do you think is going to dominate play and who do you think has the momentum in their favour?

Exactly Saint.

And all this talk about us playing much better when Keane came on and us going back to 4-4-2 is nonsense.

Something that had a bigger role to play in our win, was Mark Hughes poor decison making IMO. He didnt once look to shut up shop when they were 2-0 up, still playing an expansive game. Tactically he got that wrong I reckon and when they were down to 10 men we easily stretched them all over the place while Robinho couldnt do the job of holding the ball upfront on his own.

I think the old smug tw@t sparky came a cropper personally.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Bam wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
Owzat wrote:

If it had been Alonso who passed the ball out wide to Gerrard who in turn played Arbeloa (who doesnt get forward "atall" cough) through for our first goal instead of Mascha.
You'd of been on here creaming yourself, and professing how intelligent and wonderful Alonso is, and that he's the only player in the side who has the vision and ability to play a ball like that. We'd never hear the end of it.

You really make me laugh in disbelief sometimes, you really do.

And like wise with your complete lack of understanding of the patterns of play, importance of team work and importance of giving the right pass to the right player. Also your complete lack of understanding in balance and teams that have players who bring different attributes to the table.

You sit there in the middle of nowhere banging on about playing two similar players in central midfield and going on about how great a creative player Gerrard is, then you go on in another thread about us lacking creativety. Then, after you saying that, you then want us to put the even less creative Mascherano back into the side ahead of someone with vision and who plays the right pass.

There was nothing special about the pass Mascherano played to Gerrard. There was nothing quality about it, just a simple pass which done its job. As for trying to make out I'd be :censored: :censored: Alonso because of something like that, you're mistaken. Arbeloa created that goal through taking advantage of some woeful defending. All Mascherano and Gerrard done was the correct and simple thing that 90% of decent footballers in world football would have done.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:33 pm

s@int wrote:

You've got to be joking? He left Xabi exposed, he gave the ball away, his movement was :censored: poor, he offered absoloutely no support to anyone and generally looked lost. I can't be arsed slagging the lad off because I know how much his :censored: gets :censored: on forum's like this but to sit there and say he had the same influence on the game as Xabi for any period yesterday is simply plain wrong. Mascherano's a good player but there is no excuse for that performance the other day especially when he came in for a goalscorer into a winning side.

By rights he should now find himself on the bench again this week... I doubt very much however that will happen.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

s@int wrote:

Did you even see the attack which led to the corner? I'll take that as a no, look at the shape of the team lad, look at the shape of City's side due to our shape then come back.

Rediculous statement to make, completely rediculous to even suggest we'd have got that corner had the team still been the same. Every player does things differently and for you to suggest that the minutes leading upto that corner would have all happened in exactly the same way is a rediculous statement.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

You sit there in the middle of nowhere banging on about playing two similar players in central midfield and going on about how great a creative player Gerrard is, then you go on in another thread about us lacking creativety.

Mascherano and Gerrard are two totally different players, and for someone with a UEFA badge or whatever the feck you think you've got is wide of the mark, Stevie Wonder could even see that.
We lack creativity from the wide areas big boy, as long as we have Gerrard in the middle we'll always have a sufficient enough of a threat from the middle. Whoever he's paired up with, i.e Mascha or Xabi doesnt really matter, neither of them score enough goals, neither of them play that telling pass in the final third, neither of them take a man on regulaly. Granted Xabi will move the ball around more and instigate our build up of play but he's hardly the assist master or this creative magician you make him out to be.
Last edited by Bam on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:47 pm

You've got to be joking? He left Xabi exposed, he gave the ball away,

So you expect him to sit and hold Xabi's hand ?

If Mascha hadnt of been there theres a likely chance Gerrard would of left him exposed, do you really expect the extra man in midfield to sit alongside Xabi, when his game is about pressing the opposition and winning the ball further upfield ?

Xabi's passing wasnt the best either, if your going to be anal about it, some of Alonso's passes went astray.

I'll admit it wasnt Maschas best display, but more often than not he's put in MoTM displays. What was it you said about Torres ? He's allowed to miss the odd sitter as more often than not he's banging them in. Surely the same would apply to Mascha as more often than not he's one of the best players on the pitch.
Last edited by Bam on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Yeah Masch played ONE game below par .... bench him. Alonso plays cr@p for a season and a half and he's the best thing since sliced bread and should be playing every week.

Sorry Stu I like your posts and think you make a lot of sense at times, but I can't agree with you on this one. I think like a few on here you have a blind spot where Alonso is concerned. I hope Alonso continues to play well (thats 2.5 games this season in which he has anyway)

Masch has only played 4 games this season and he has been m.o.t.m in 2 of them. Alonso 10 games m.o.t.m once.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:58 pm

Bam wrote:

You sit there in the middle of nowhere banging on about playing two similar players in central midfield and going on about how great a creative player Gerrard is, then you go on in another thread about us lacking creativety.

Mascherano and Gerrard are two totally different players, and for someone with a UEFA badge or whatever the feck you think you've got is wide of the mark, Stevie Wonder could even see that.

We lack creativity from the wide areas big boy, as long as we have Gerrard in the middle we'll always have a sufficient enough of a threat from the middle. Whoever he's paired up with, i.e Mascha or Xabi doesnt really matter, neither of them score enough goals, neither of them play that telling pass in the final third, neither of them take a man on regulaly. Granted Xabi will move the ball around more and instigate our build up of play but he's hardly the assist master or this creative magician you make him out to be.

I don't make him out to be an "assist master" at all. I simply say that he's got the brains and passing ability, plus the vision that Gerrard lacks. He brings other players into play in positions they are familiar with and dangerous in.

As for Gerrard, he's a box to box midfielder. Always has been, always will be. He's far better than Mascherano as a player, can do everything Mascherano can do and a whole lot more. He can tackle better, he's quicker, stronger, better on the ball, scores more goals and uses the ball better. Gerrard's performance the other day against Everton was what he's about. Thats how you get the best out of him. Not giving him a "free reign" and asking him to do things he's not upto doing on a regular basis. One of Steven Gerrard's best overall performances in a red shirt was the one he put in in the derby the other week, I'd personally rather see him doing that every week and score 10 goals a season than drifting in an out of games and scoring the odd screamer here and playing out of position.

Gerrard and Mascherano is a poor pairing. The lack intelligence, creativety and ball usage as a pair. They don't play the right pass, they don't bring the other players around them into play in the right area's on a regular and consistent basis. They often get caught standing next to each other, Mascherano doesn't have the intelligence to overlap and create space for others like Xabi does and he doesn't think about his position when we have the ball. I'vesaidittime and time again, they often get caught flat and we have no options when they play together. It makes the team very one dimensional.

As I've said many many many times in the past. When Gerrard and Hamann played, we often lacked creativety in that area of the pitch. When Gerrard and Mascherano play, its even worse. Then Gerrard and Alonso play, the balance and mix is excellent, hence the reason we consistenly control games and look a better side, when those two play as a central pairing.

The move in tandem, they overlap and underlap, they swap positions, both are comfortable going forward or defending, they both offer something different in terms of attacking, they both offer different things in terms of ball winning, they can both spray a pass, they can both his a shot.

Its a team game, having options and different strengths is what makes a team good. You also say we lack creativety out wide, well in that case are you saying Riera isn't upto it? Also, surely if we lack creativety in wide positions we need some more centrally to make up for that?

Just a thought. :upside:
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 pm

s@int wrote:Yeah Masch played ONE game below par .... bench him. Alonso plays cr@p for a season and a half and he's the best thing since sliced bread and should be playing every week.

Sorry Stu I like your posts and think you make a lot of sense at times, but I can't agree with you on this one. I think like a few on here you have a blind spot where Alonso is concerned. I hope Alonso continues to play well (thats 2.5 games this season in which he has anyway)

Masch has only played 4 games this season and he has been m.o.t.m in 2 of them. Alonso 10 games m.o.t.m once.

Spot on.

Again its punditry ignorance coming from Stu, who claims Mascha is overated on here. Yet at the first sign of form is getting all excited over his keyboard that Xabi's finally turned up in a Liverpool jersey.

Then he has the audacity to say Mascha should benched, when players like Alonso and Kuyt have found themselves in the team pretty consistantly despite having some mediocre performances.

As for telling everyone on Newkitt that we "overate" Mascha, the same is applied to you and Pennant.

Oh the irony of it all, carry on though Stu your entertaining if nothing else.
Last edited by Bam on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm

And yet strangely Liverpool score MORE GOALS when Masch plays than when Alonso plays ?

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Bam wrote:

You've got to be joking? He left Xabi exposed, he gave the ball away,

So you expect him to sit and hold Xabi's hand ?

If Mascha hadnt of been there theres a likely chance Gerrard would of left him exposed, do you really expect the extra man in midfield to sit alongside Xabi, when his game is about pressing the opposition and winning the ball further upfield ?

Xabi's passing wasnt the best either, if your going to be anal about it, some of Alonso's passes went astray.

I'll admit it wasnt Maschas best display, but more often than not he's put in MoTM displays. What was it you said about Torres ? He's allowed to miss the odd sitter as more often than not he's banging them in. Surely the same would apply to Mascha as more often than not he's one of the best players on the pitch.

Its a team game as I keep saying. Central midfielders are meant to help each other out. Mascherano had a shocker. Deal with it.

He's overated by our own quite alot. A very good player yes, in the same class as Alonso? Again, yes although very different.

I have absoloutely no problem what so ever with him being in our squad. He's a top player and I like him alot, I'm pointing out he had a shocker, thats all. To compare his and Xabi's game is though is rediculous as they were miles apart on the day.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion