Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:34 am

hello_red wrote:Yayyy we won  :down:

That seems to be the general feeling doesnt it? Damned if we do !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:35 am

Four points or more from our next 2 games and I think most will start believing, relaxing and enjoying the games whatever formation we put out. I think its reasonable to be a little worried at this stage, most of the results have gone our way, but I can't help feeling that luck has played a big part so far. Not that we haven't deserved to win, just that without a slice of luck our season could be looking rather different.

Time to step up and start playing well, before our luck starts to turn.
account deleted by request

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:47 am

Few points on reflection from the City game:

1) Mascherano in for Keane seemed a sensible change before kick off.

2) Torres on his Jack Jones with Gerrard off him seemed a good line up before the game started.

3) City away seemed like a tricky one before the game started.

Once we kicked off, we where on top the first fifteen minutes, then:

4) A proper goalmouth scramble, freaky bounce situation resulted in Ireland smashing one into the net

5) A poory arranged wall resulted in a second goal from a decent free kick.

Then following an obvious roasting at half time (from Sammy Lee I heard) we saw

6) One team in it

7) Changes made to the set up and line up

8) Some help from a clear red card

9) Chances to make it 5-2

10) A 3-2 win

I really cant understand the problems people have with this. We could have lost ? We didnt.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:I really cant understand the problems people have with this. We could have lost ? We didnt.

It's getting ridiculous lately isn't it? Rafa and the team are damned if they do, damned if they don't. We're joint top of the league FFS, Rafa's curbed his rotation and we're more consistent. What more do people want?
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:12 am

I looked for the context of roasting in urbandictionary.com and it's related to sex. I guess it means he was very angry and shouted the players?

If so, that's interesting, because I always found the ex Liverpool and Osasuna player as the fella who would tap the player's back to compensate Rafa's "coldness".
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 am

Sabre wrote:

I looked for the context of roasting in urbandictionary.com and it's related to sex. I guess it means he was very angry and shouted the players?

:D Yeah thats also roasting too. Or there is even spit roasting!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:40 am

Sabre wrote:

If so, that's interesting, because I always found the ex Liverpool and Osasuna player as the fella who would tap the player's back to compensate Rafa's "coldness".

A "pat on the back" is the term Sabre liird.

Sammy can give it with hte best of them.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 am

s@int wrote:Four points or more from our next 2 games and I think most will start believing, relaxing and enjoying the games whatever formation we put out. I think its reasonable to be a little worried at this stage, most of the results have gone our way, but I can't help feeling that luck has played a big part so far. Not that we haven't deserved to win, just that without a slice of luck our season could be looking rather different.

Time to step up and start playing well, before our luck starts to turn.

Bang on.
tonyeh

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:01 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Lets just try and give oureslves the chance of enjoying it this season , if it happens were gonna be so worked up by all the negativity ,we will miss the lot . Lets go on a roller coaster ride this season and enjoy every minute , lets see what happens  and be grateful that we will be able to witness it again . .

Spot on, mate.  I was told to get a grip yesterday for actually expressing excitement about our comeback and about the way things are developing so far this season.  F.uck that.  We secured three hard-fought points against a spirited opponent on their patch and no one's going to convince me that that's not worth celebrating! :nod

Agree with you both.

Every team has its weaknesses, and we have a fair idea what ours are, but there is far too much focus on these negatives on here.  2-0 down at half time against the team that had the biggest net transfer spend in the WORLD this summer, away from home, and we came back to beat them 3-2 with a late winner.  If that doesn't have you punching the air and jumping around the place then you're not a real fan, not in my opinion.

Wigan to come next at Anfield and I think we'll beat them.  Then a really exciting week with Athletico and Chelsea away in the same week, a week that could really set us up for a great season if results gop our way.  We should be excited, and I for one am.

Maybe the reason there is so much focus on our weaknesses is because Gerrard and Carragher aren't getting any younger and we have Keane, Torres, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Reina plus another few decent players and a team and squad which is quite close.

Maybe some of us think this team could really go places once the weaknesses are sorted and has seen the team in this position before only for the money to be spent wrongly and thats where the frustration comes from. This team is close, make no mistake, butit needs strengthening and there is no better time to do it than when you're on the up. Riera has come into a winning side and improved it (even though we were playing :censored:) and now if we can sort a right back and a right winger and hopefully a top centre half we'll really be in business.

And maybe your forgeting how wierd and wonderful it is to be a LFC supporter . The ups the downs , the highs the lows . Maybe your worrying far to much about the technicalities of this player or that player or this formation and that formation ,that your actually forgeting how to enjoy a game . Maybe your looking through the wrong eyes ,  maybe your looking through the eyes of a pundit and not the eyes of a lad standing on the kop watching the team he loves playing footy .

Maybe you should try and remember why you liked footy in the first place when you were a kid and why you decided LFC were the team for you .

Once you've done all that , maybe you'll start to enjoy it again .

Maybe you're right... :down:  :D
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:07 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Fo Dne wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Lets just try and give oureslves the chance of enjoying it this season , if it happens were gonna be so worked up by all the negativity ,we will miss the lot . Lets go on a roller coaster ride this season and enjoy every minute , lets see what happens  and be grateful that we will be able to witness it again . .

Spot on, mate.  I was told to get a grip yesterday for actually expressing excitement about our comeback and about the way things are developing so far this season.  F.uck that.  We secured three hard-fought points against a spirited opponent on their patch and no one's going to convince me that that's not worth celebrating! :nod

Agree with you both.

Every team has its weaknesses, and we have a fair idea what ours are, but there is far too much focus on these negatives on here.  2-0 down at half time against the team that had the biggest net transfer spend in the WORLD this summer, away from home, and we came back to beat them 3-2 with a late winner.  If that doesn't have you punching the air and jumping around the place then you're not a real fan, not in my opinion.

Wigan to come next at Anfield and I think we'll beat them.  Then a really exciting week with Athletico and Chelsea away in the same week, a week that could really set us up for a great season if results gop our way.  We should be excited, and I for one am.

Maybe the reason there is so much focus on our weaknesses is because Gerrard and Carragher aren't getting any younger and we have Keane, Torres, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Reina plus another few decent players and a team and squad which is quite close.

Maybe some of us think this team could really go places once the weaknesses are sorted and has seen the team in this position before only for the money to be spent wrongly and thats where the frustration comes from. This team is close, make no mistake, butit needs strengthening and there is no better time to do it than when you're on the up. Riera has come into a winning side and improved it (even though we were playing :censored:) and now if we can sort a right back and a right winger and hopefully a top centre half we'll really be in business.

If we are not capable of addressing all of the "problems" with the squad in January (likely situation) what do you suggest the team go out and do? Solve one position wholly (1 world class type signing) while ignoring the other problems? I am guessing this is what you would choose because just adding more decent squad depth is not going to accomplish anything.  So assuming you can only bring in one impact player, what position do we fix, any specific players?

IF we do only improve one of those three weaknesses, will we be good enough to continue the challenge for the title?

I'd obviously like Richards in at right back first and foremost as I feel if we had a decent right back, between Gerrard, Kuyt and Pennant we have enough "cover" for the right hand side and enough different types of player with a fair amount of quality.

I do feel we could challenge, if we couldn't get a top player like Richards I feel a vast improvement would be adequate for us to challenge in both positions... IE Glenn Johnson and a good sided player (who? I'm not so sure) Hopefully someone of equal ability to Riera.

I like believe upfront we have enough quality in Keane and Torres, in midfield with Riera, Alonso and Gerrard and Mascherano as back up we again have alot of quality... on the right we're lacking, at the back any one of the current four centre halfs and a new one plus a right back will see us become a very good side into potentially an excellent one. Our goalkeepers sorted also.

We could also do with getting rid of some of the rubbish like Lucas, Babel, Dossena and Plessis and bringing in some more genuine quality.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:15 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Few points on reflection from the City game:

1) Mascherano in for Keane seemed a sensible change before kick off.

2) Torres on his Jack Jones with Gerrard off him seemed a good line up before the game started.

3) City away seemed like a tricky one before the game started.

Once we kicked off, we where on top the first fifteen minutes, then:

4) A proper goalmouth scramble, freaky bounce situation resulted in Ireland smashing one into the net

5) A poory arranged wall resulted in a second goal from a decent free kick.

6) One team in it

7) Changes made to the set up and line up

8) Some help from a clear red card

9) Chances to make it 5-2

10) A 3-2 win

I really cant understand the problems people have with this. We could have lost ? We didnt.

1. To you it might have seemed sensible, to Keane and a few other players in the team, awell as some supporters, it would probably seem stupid. Changing your best players position, dropping a striker who's just scored in order to give a midfielder a game is plain stupidity. It was only the fact he realised how stupid a mistake it was then decided to correct it we won the game.

2. It never has been a good idea. It works to an extent against some sides. It never has and never will get the best out of Gerrard. Again, most would disagree, Gerrard himself prefere's to play central midfield. Not upfront.

3. So why change a winning side?

4. Very poor defending from three players resulted in that goal.

5. Sometimes you just have to say hats off to the free kick taker. Good finish.

6. One team in it and we some how managed to find ourselves in a losing situation... Happens to often.

7. ??

8. Lucky, had the player stayed on his feet we may well have struggled to break them down.

9. City had chances also. We miss to many chances. Kuyt especially.

10. A fortunate 3-2 with a get out of jail card used.

The problems we won't always have this kind of luck and be able to make the same mistakes, which keep happening.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:12 pm

i see you didnt mention torres glaring missed chance which was easier than kuyts .

and you still not qualified if rafa himself told you he played masher just to give him a game ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:17 pm

GYBS wrote:i see you didnt mention torres glaring missed chance which was easier than kuyts .

No it wasn't as far as I recall it

I don't like slagging Kuyt eh?, but the required technical gesture in Torres action was more difficult, the ball came after a bounce and fast, in Kuyt's ball the ball from Riera just came to Kuyt's foot. In fact Torres did well the most difficult part of attacking the ball but failed in the touch.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. 08 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Stu, you have stated many times in the past that you make your own luck. Have you not? I think that we have found this characteristic in our side this season and we have been able to do it more consistently.

I cant help to think about many instances before where United,Chelsea,Arsenal have done what we have done so far this season, on a consistent basis.

I am not saying we will win the league, we may well fall flat on our :censored: in a couple of weeks. Who knows, but enjoy the :censored: football at the moment. You make some valid points, some that I disagree and agree on, but life is short.

Enjoy the results at the moment. There will be plenty of time to whinge, and moan later on the season.
A.B. 08

Postby GYBS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Sabre wrote:
GYBS wrote:i see you didnt mention torres glaring missed chance which was easier than kuyts .

No it wasn't as far as I recall it

I don't like slagging Kuyt eh?, but the required technical gesture in Torres action was more difficult, the ball came after a bounce and fast, in Kuyt's ball the ball from Riera just came to Kuyt's foot. In fact Torres did well the most difficult part of attacking the ball but failed in the touch.

torres had the net wide open in front of him with no one else around , they were both glaring misses but as usual one gets highlighted. ie the one from kuyt
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion