Todays team selection. - Styling or sensible?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Lets just try and give oureslves the chance of enjoying it this season , if it happens were gonna be so worked up by all the negativity ,we will miss the lot . Lets go on a roller coaster ride this season and enjoy every minute , lets see what happens  and be grateful that we will be able to witness it again . .

Spot on, mate.  I was told to get a grip yesterday for actually expressing excitement about our comeback and about the way things are developing so far this season.  F.uck that.  We secured three hard-fought points against a spirited opponent on their patch and no one's going to convince me that that's not worth celebrating! :nod

Agree with you both.

Every team has its weaknesses, and we have a fair idea what ours are, but there is far too much focus on these negatives on here.  2-0 down at half time against the team that had the biggest net transfer spend in the WORLD this summer, away from home, and we came back to beat them 3-2 with a late winner.  If that doesn't have you punching the air and jumping around the place then you're not a real fan, not in my opinion.

Wigan to come next at Anfield and I think we'll beat them.  Then a really exciting week with Athletico and Chelsea away in the same week, a week that could really set us up for a great season if results gop our way.  We should be excited, and I for one am.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:56 pm

I think the standing table is only worth looking when you're in March or so. And I say now this, and if we're 2 points off the top in 15 days. Right now the fans must dream if they wish so, I don't know fans that do not dream. As long as the team thinks only in the next game, we can dream safely.

But right now we have to be happy. Not only we have 17 points, IMHO, Manchester City and Everton away are not easy. Manchester United at home is never easy. We have won some important wins, and excuse me, but no matter if you leave in Liverpool, Pakistan or Madrid, when you just beated your two main archrivals you have the right to be happy. I'm telling the thing like it is, you have the right to be happy.

CHL says

To me it sounds more like the players were not fully focused at the start of the game,

Yes there were problems of concentration, but it wasn't one of those days in which all the team isn't working as a whole, and you don't manage to get the ball further than the middle. But just two isolated yet bad concentration mistakes.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Just flicked through now and some excellent responses. I can't help thinking that once again some of the vociferous defences of the team and manager are a bit OTT, but there you go. With the possible exception of Stu, I don't think anyone is "slagging the manager" nor saying we can't make a "single change to the formation all season" or any of that. In the topic starter I was simply asking whether or not people thought the selection was a good idea or not.

I do get accused from time to time of not mentioning things when we win, but mentioning them when we lose. If on the other hand you do mention them when you win, some people get a bit hot under the collar but here you go.

I've said many times recently that I was wrong about Riera, that I was over critical of Skyrtel, and that if he continues like he is I would give the manager another season at least after this one. I've also said that I expect us to get within five or six points of the eventual champions. That's not a "I expect it or else", I expect it because the manager has built a team which is capable of that. I think we have one of the best goalkeepers in the League (although he should have saved the second goal yesterday), one of the best defenses, the best central midfield players and the besty striker.

Sorry though for being so negative. I'll try and snap out of it.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

bigmick wrote:Sorry though for being so negative. I'll try and snap out of it.

I'm gonna quote that before you edit it :laugh:

Only messing of course Mick.  My previous post wasn't a criticism of you personally, your thread got some decent debate going (which has been at a premium on here of late), but I do think this forum in general has been a bit negative of late, when we really should be enjoying a victory like the one yesterday.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 pm

Mick the threads a good one, as clearly it has sparked a decent debate.
I think there were things that people could be unhappy of or at the least a bit wary despite the win. Because we wont always be able to pull results like that out of the bag.

But rather than worry about it bask in the knowledge that our players seemed to have found some real determination and fighting spirit in the league games.
Make no mistake they are the type of wins that Chelsea (away at everton springs to mind when they won 3-2) and united (away at spurs 3-0 about 5 years ago and won 5-3) that show the players will never give up. Once opposing teams know that you set panic in them, if they know you are never beat you have won part of the battle.
Thats something we havent had in a long time, but its something that we have shown already about 3 times in the first 2 months of the season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:NEWKIT PUDITS "No rafa ,we want no changes ,none whatsoever , no formation changes at all , we want world class players in every postion , we want atleast 3 goals per game with none conceded and we want to be top of the table with maximum points . Otherwise Rafa lad we'll call you names like idiot and b@stard and sh!te at man management and loser and lost the plotman ."

No-one ever said anything of the sort.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 pm

john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Lets just try and give oureslves the chance of enjoying it this season , if it happens were gonna be so worked up by all the negativity ,we will miss the lot . Lets go on a roller coaster ride this season and enjoy every minute , lets see what happens  and be grateful that we will be able to witness it again . .

Spot on, mate.  I was told to get a grip yesterday for actually expressing excitement about our comeback and about the way things are developing so far this season.  F.uck that.  We secured three hard-fought points against a spirited opponent on their patch and no one's going to convince me that that's not worth celebrating! :nod

Agree with you both.

Every team has its weaknesses, and we have a fair idea what ours are, but there is far too much focus on these negatives on here.  2-0 down at half time against the team that had the biggest net transfer spend in the WORLD this summer, away from home, and we came back to beat them 3-2 with a late winner.  If that doesn't have you punching the air and jumping around the place then you're not a real fan, not in my opinion.

Wigan to come next at Anfield and I think we'll beat them.  Then a really exciting week with Athletico and Chelsea away in the same week, a week that could really set us up for a great season if results gop our way.  We should be excited, and I for one am.

Maybe the reason there is so much focus on our weaknesses is because Gerrard and Carragher aren't getting any younger and we have Keane, Torres, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Reina plus another few decent players and a team and squad which is quite close.

Maybe some of us think this team could really go places once the weaknesses are sorted and has seen the team in this position before only for the money to be spent wrongly and thats where the frustration comes from. This team is close, make no mistake, butit needs strengthening and there is no better time to do it than when you're on the up. Riera has come into a winning side and improved it (even though we were playing :censored:) and now if we can sort a right back and a right winger and hopefully a top centre half we'll really be in business.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:06 am

The BS on this site is the same whether we're bottom of the league or top, certain people arent able to enjoy the moment and insist on dragging everyone else down to their level.

Cant we have a Sad Section so we can weed this miseryguts out?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15 am

Reg wrote:The BS on this site is the same whether we're bottom of the league or top, certain people arent able to enjoy the moment and insist on dragging everyone else down to their level.

Cant we have a Sad Section so we can weed this miseryguts out?

Not at all. You either choose to agree or choose to not agree. There are negative posters and positive posters. Stu, being an "oldie" on here has views that are against many of the other oldies on here that are positive. We could win the league this year but there will be the "But can we defend it?" or the "Will we have the money to spend to keep it going?"  but you will have people celebrating and saying "Lets keep it going !" and "We have the quality to keep it going".

A "Sad Section" wouldnt work, I know, I tried an "Arguments" one and that didnt work !  :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 am

Bad Bob wrote:

Well said mate.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:13 am

Fo Dne wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Agree with you both.

Maybe the reason there is so much focus on our weaknesses is because Gerrard and Carragher aren't getting any younger and we have Keane, Torres, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Reina plus another few decent players and a team and squad which is quite close.

Maybe some of us think this team could really go places once the weaknesses are sorted and has seen the team in this position before only for the money to be spent wrongly and thats where the frustration comes from. This team is close, make no mistake, butit needs strengthening and there is no better time to do it than when you're on the up. Riera has come into a winning side and improved it (even though we were playing :censored:) and now if we can sort a right back and a right winger and hopefully a top centre half we'll really be in business.

And maybe your forgeting how wierd and wonderful it is to be a LFC supporter . The ups the downs , the highs the lows . Maybe your worrying far to much about the technicalities of this player or that player or this formation and that formation ,that your actually forgeting how to enjoy a game . Maybe your looking through the wrong eyes ,  maybe your looking through the eyes of a pundit and not the eyes of a lad standing on the kop watching the team he loves playing footy .

Maybe you should try and remember why you liked footy in the first place when you were a kid and why you decided LFC were the team for you .

Once you've done all that , maybe you'll start to enjoy it again .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:15 am

Igor Zidane wrote:And maybe your forgeting how wierd and wonderful it is to be a LFC supporter . The ups the downs , the highs the lows . Maybe your worrying far to much about the technicalities of this player or that player or this formation and that formation ,that your actually forgeting how to enjoy a game . Maybe your looking through the wrong eyes ,  maybe your looking through the eyes of a pundit and not the eyes of a lad standing on the kop watching the team he loves playing footy .

Maybe you should try and remember why you liked footy in the first place when you were a kid and why you decided LFC were the team for you .

Also remember this, everybodys a critic ! :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 am

Yayyy we won  :down:
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Bam » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:00 am

And maybe your forgeting how wierd and wonderful it is to be a LFC supporter . The ups the downs , the highs the lows . Maybe your worrying far to much about the technicalities of this player or that player or this formation and that formation ,that your actually forgeting how to enjoy a game . Maybe your looking through the wrong eyes ,  maybe your looking through the eyes of a pundit and not the eyes of a lad standing on the kop watching the team he loves playing footy .

--------------

Nicely put, Pineapple man.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:28 am

Fo Dne wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Agree with you both.

If we are not capable of addressing all of the "problems" with the squad in January (likely situation) what do you suggest the team go out and do? Solve one position wholly (1 world class type signing) while ignoring the other problems? I am guessing this is what you would choose because just adding more decent squad depth is not going to accomplish anything.  So assuming you can only bring in one impact player, what position do we fix, any specific players?

IF we do only improve one of those three weaknesses, will we be good enough to continue the challenge for the title?
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion