Time to settle in

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:35 pm

How long do players get to settle into clubs or new league or new country before they are deemed a failure or not good enough etc ?

Is it all dependant on where they come from ?Age? Previous playing experience ?

Should most players get at least a season before things need to be done or maybe 18 months?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rorschach26 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:46 pm

4 me it depends on age & if they speak the language

its like people think they turn up 4 the match & training then sleep in a regenerating tank till the next match r something

their still human they have 2 settle, find a home, learn the language, make friends all this matters no matter how much thier on no matter how much ability they have

i also think alot of the right-wing fans on here like 2 jump on the foreign lads backs coz it gives them lil hard-ons
Rorschach26

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 pm

when it comes to our club it seems like they are given around 6 months usually and then shipped off somewhere else
(Bellamy to name just one of MANY examples)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Think its also hard for some when players like Torres settle in very quickly .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Did bellamy not get at least a season thou ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Depends on if they show any signs of promise or of eventually settling. Morientes and Gonzales never looked likely to settle, and could have been sold much quicker than they were. Others such as Lucas and Babel show glimpses of talent and may be worth persevering with. Keane ...... I would think deserves at least a season before being cast aside. Dossena ....... time is almost up :D
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Pretty much agree with that saint - dossena is a strange one as going forward he seems very good but christ defending is awful but most of that seems down to poor positioning as he seems solid in the tackle and covers ground well so maybe thats something that will come with coaching and playing regulary with the lads ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

depend on quality i guess. Also if they could adjust and adapt to any league. Torres is a good example how he fitted in very quick. Yet it could take certain players more time ti adapt maybe even a few seasons. I think it was Dennis Bergkamp who was labelled a flop in his first season but proved otherwise.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:03 pm

so is it harsh to call people flops or :censored: or not good enough after say ten games in the prem ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm

GYBS wrote:so is it harsh to call people flops or :censored: or not good enough after say ten games in the prem ?

well probably yeah. you have to give certain player some time. Also depends on how poor the individual plays. Everything is taken in account. work rate, team play, goals (if striker) etc..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:07 pm

So can a player who has had some shocking performances ever really turn it around ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:12 pm

GYBS wrote:So can a player who has had some shocking performances ever really turn it around ?

If the player was completely wack even before comming to liverpool then i doubt it very much that he will progess.Im mentioning dossena here. Personally i think he was :censored: so dont know why rafa brought him. If its a decent player whoes shown glimpses of brilliance but has been slightly poor than yeah maybe that player could turn it around. I still believe babel has a bright future with us. His been given some slack but with time and more games i think he could be brill. As for keane we all know he was brill at spurs but i think he needs more games and confidence. Also when he was paired with torres they were doing okay.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:13 pm

The same for dossena mate as he was very good in the italian league last season - good enough to get himself called up for their national squad and first choice at the moment and lookde solid for them when i watched them play so there must be something there but maybe not suited to the prem ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:18 pm

GYBS wrote:The same for dossena mate as he was very good in the italian league last season - good enough to get himself called up for their national squad and first choice at the moment and lookde solid for them when i watched them play so there must be something there but maybe not suited to the prem ?

you do have a good point. It was the same with morientes. Brilliant in the spanish league but poor with us. Maybe your right dossena is not adjusting to the premier league. I did watch him a few times but didnt really think he was that good to be honest. He looks a bit slow aswel. Not the ideal defender. Who knows maybe he needs more time. I feel defenders usually adjust more quicker than striker. They form a solid base at he back whilst striker have to have more of an understanding with the team.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:22 pm

I think going forward he has looked pretty decent its just his positional sense when defending is very very poor but is that something that is coached and comes with experience ? he seems quick enough going forward and got one of the best cross in the team ? yeah agree nando was never suited to the rpem - shame as i really liked him.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion