This week's signings - Any definite names coming from anfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:24 pm

At the end of last week, Benitez was quoted as saying he was looking to sign a right midfielder and a centre back by the end of this week.

It's now Thursday, and I've seen nothing concrete from Anfield about who we're specifically targeting. I know that on Tuesday Rafa said he was prepared to wait for players he wanted to become available, but who are these players?

Yes, yes...I know there's a rumour thread for this kind of thing, but at 65 pages long that whole thing has got pretty ridiculous.
ivor_the_injun

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:29 pm

rafa then went on to say that he may have to wait till after the champions league qualifiers to sign the players he wants.
i assume they must be good players if they want champions league football! michael owen maybe???
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:57 pm

if hes waiting until after the qualifiers it basically means we will have more funds available to us for progressing into the group stages. I think its a better idea to wait after the qualifiers, also wait until we sell baros, then we will have plenty of funds for a RM and CB and possibly even another striker..
oOShrimpyOo

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:07 pm

a think we shud bring in jorge andrade but duno who we can for a right sided midfielder
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:19 pm

If no new defenders are signed before the transfer deadline then we are in a big crisis. well, it's not a crisis really. but it is a premature end to any title challenge. and for me, that is a crisis. i really would like liverpool to challenge this year. but we have no chance whatsoever with the current defenders. hyypia is well past it, finnan is distinctly average but i don't trust josemi, carra is good, riise/traore/warnock should be enough for left.

So what happens if Finnan gets injured. Shift Carra to the right, play Whitbreat and Hyypia or shift Traore in the centre or even Riise. And god forbid, what will happen if Carra gets injured? Shift people all over the place. Play Salif Diao?

We are at least one if not two defenders away from a great team. And all the stupids are messin around gettin wired @p over Owen! F@ck. Yeah f@ck lets blow all the cash on madrid's 6th choice striker and put him in line behind Cisse, Crouch and Morientes in Benitez 4-4-1-1 system (1 Striker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby ALONSO_14 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:42 pm

first thing will be to get a CB or 2 and a RM. Do you know when the transfer window shuts? its not tomorrow, its nearly a month away, its not a crisis, rafa has plenty of time to bring in the players he needs, no rush, who says he isnt going to bring in a CB or RW? of course he is and after that theres no reason why owen shouldnt come if we have the money after getting rid of baros, we do have some transfer money you know we havent go about £2
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:57 pm

banana wrote:If no new defenders are signed before the transfer deadline then we are in a big crisis. well, it's not a crisis really. but it is a premature end to any title challenge. and for me, that is a crisis. i really would like liverpool to challenge this year. but we have no chance whatsoever with the current defenders. hyypia is well past it, finnan is distinctly average but i don't trust josemi, carra is good, riise/traore/warnock should be enough for left.

So what happens if Finnan gets injured. Shift Carra to the right, play Whitbreat and Hyypia or shift Traore in the centre or even Riise. And god forbid, what will happen if Carra gets injured? Shift people all over the place. Play Salif Diao?

We are at least one if not two defenders away from a great team. And all the stupids are messin around gettin wired @p over Owen! F@ck. Yeah f@ck lets blow all the cash on madrid's 6th choice striker and put him in line behind Cisse, Crouch and Morientes in Benitez 4-4-1-1 system (1 Striker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ffs banana i dont think there is one person on here who thinks signing owen is the priority right now. it is the most exciting transfer rumour we have got at the moment but nobody is saying that simply signing owen will be the last piece of the jigsaw. fact is barring a few tenuous links, we have little idea of who our targets are for the other positions, so dont really have much to say about the situation. if we can get the 2 positions we need filled for around 10-15 mill, with the sale of baros and champ league money, we may have enough left to look further than simply making the squad solid, by signing a truely world class former euro player of the year
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Rafa has admited his priorities are finding a defender and a right winger.  He's not Kevin Keegan and prepared to spend the majority of his budget on strikers.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:23 pm

Like I said, rafa comments wasn't so much that he knew two players were arriving end of this week, it was "i told you who i want now hurry up and do some work" to parry, and stop fluffing your hair makoisi-garfunkel.

i'm not a fan of all these CE's (PRers)as you may see, especially that DrEvil-Uncle Fester :censored: at CFC.
109-1093441336

Postby desperado0831 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:27 pm

The tempo had set back after almost all of our target have rule out their move to Anfield. Upson, Milito and Figo will no longer of our potential signings. Right this term i can't even come out with one. Maybe rafa is eyeing some special troopers for us like JOAQUIN.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:38 pm

As mentioned above theres almost a month until the transfer window closes,theres no need to panic just yet!
Im sure Rafa knows better than we do his priority is a CB before a RW!Jorge Andrade's performance and 2 stunning goals in the last few weeks were the last thing we needed,if he was'nt heavely sought after,he surely is now!Hence a few extra million on his price i'd say.its for this reason i don't think we'll sign him,hope i,m wrong though!As for Upson?A good solid player,but for Bruce to talk of prices in the region of 15 million,he's having a laugh!!
So the question remains,will we fill the 2 positions we need to!I'd bet my life on signing a CB,not to convinced he'll fill both though!
But no point in panicking yet,Rafa knows wht he's at!
Lets just hope we dont get another Josemi!!
66-1120597113

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 pm

Alot of the "targets" have fallen through.  Although i'm glad we didn't get Upson.  The players we have got were players that we could of got any year really, in June i was expecting one big name as a reward for our new fame. AC got Gilardino, but those f.uckers lost?
109-1093441336

Postby barnesrush » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:54 pm

AC are also funded by the man who runs italy and pretty much all of the italian media too. bottomless pits are not our speciality
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:13 pm

i think using the "we're poor in comparison" is an excuse.  Giladino was only 2m euros more than Cisse.

Especially from the amount of "mickey come home" threads.
109-1093441336

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:24 pm

it' a shame we miss out on a lot of quality players as Meelan states above!A major factor in this is a lot of players from mainland Europe dont fancy a move to England fullstop even though they all know how great a club we are!
66-1120597113

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion