This riise debate - Lets see then.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby alxy » Mon May 05, 2008 1:54 pm

His goals (often spectacular) were what rescued him from an early exit at LFC. Now that that part of his game has gone missing, his weaknesses stand out even more.
alxy

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Riise is coming in for all the flack because of this one mistake. Fair enough, he's probably had his day at Anfield. He's no longer what we need. But when people start going over the top because of one mistake, they need to seriously look at themselves.

Did we all want to see Gerrard fuck off when he cost us the carling cup by scoring an own goal? Did we all have pitchforks looking for Hyypia when he scored the own goal against Beskitas and nearly put us out of the european cup alot earlier than Riise's own goal? No we didn't.

Riise has been a loyal servant to this club, never has he come out and said "i want to move". He's been a good player for us over the years. Of late, he's lost his pace and goals but that will come to all players. All players lose the pace they had when they were 20-25. I'd be happy to see Riise leave in the summer because he's not up to our standard anymore, but I won't slag the lad off and I'll be there applauding him when he returns to Anfield. Also I won't blame him for going out to Chelsea, because there was 210 minutes in that match. If Torres took his chances we'd be through. If Mascherano put the ball in row z rather than down the line to a chelsea player we'd be through. If Arebloa, Mascherano and Skrtel defended the ball properly we'd be through. If Hyypia didn't give the penalty away we'd be through. If Reina saved the penalty we'd be through. If Benitez kept his mouth shut and didn't slag Drogba off, we'd be through. There was 210 minutes over the two legs, and one mistake by one player doesn't knock us out. We win and lose as a team. If the team did their job then we'd be through, the fact that they didn't is why we're out. Not because John Arne Riise scored an own goal.

Good loyal servant to this club.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JohnBull » Mon May 05, 2008 2:49 pm

I was in the Lower Centenary at the Annie Rd end yesterday and I had a good look at this youngster Insua.
Make no bones about it this lad is good and I expect him to be next seasons regular LB. The FB duo of Finnan and Insa was the best we've had this season and maybe Finnan is getting on and a new RB is needed but I'm happy to stick with this kid at LB.
Can someone explain why we play Lucas ? bleeding hopless.
All sorts of stories going around about why Crouch has fell out of favour and why Aggers still missing. If there is any truth to them then I can see why Raffa is doing what he is but the look on his (and his kids) face on the lap of honour says that he isn't going anywhere but the absentees will be.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon May 05, 2008 3:06 pm

can't believe i'm saying this, but good post gbjh. the riise bashing is reaching ridiculous proportions here. we all know he's not as good as he used to be, and he's not good enough for us to move forward, but some of the criticism and insults on here are disgraceful.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:12 pm

no room for sentiments i agree but some of your views people are dfisgraceful.. ok so riises best is behind him, but the guy was an absolute giant for us so people on here saying 50p is a good deal should be taken out and shot.

greatest fans in the world?? good thing other people dont read some of the sh!te you guys spew sometimes
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Riise isnt coming in 4 all this flak because of that 1 mistake most people on here have been sayin he cant cut it 4 years

& he scored that own goal because he doesnt have a right foot not because hes lacking in confidence

Vote Insua 4 no.1 spot :blues:
Torres25

Postby Reg » Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

If Smicer scored in the 2005 EC final, Zenden played in the Athens final etc.. and got the royal order of the boot then Rafa wont hesitate to pull the trigger on Riise when he´s ready.

If he hasnt until now, its because he´s not ready.

(Source: Gospel according to Common Sense.)
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Riise is past his sell-by unfortunately.

Still have a few great memories of some of his goals, but there really is no room for sentiment here.

He has gone stale and I think Benitez has lost confidence in him, which is putting him under even more pressure to perform.

Definitely deserves more respect than some on here are showing him, but there is no future for him at Liverpool under Benitez.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Torres25 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm

respect 4 what pickin up his what? 30 thousand plus wages every week 4 the past 2-3 years 4 bein no better then a sunday league player

i have always believed in my ability as a football player but have never had the fitness required & when i c some1 as :censored: riise playing 4 the team i love who has only made it due 2 the fact he has the stanima of a racehorse its like gods stickin 2 fingers up at me

atleast kuyt is a technically good footballer

sorry 2 go off on 1 but thats how :censored: off i am
Torres25

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon May 05, 2008 9:22 pm

so Riise isn't techincally gifted? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This one footed, no technique, 50p worth joke aided us to super cup glory in 2001 (scored) carling cup failure 2005 (scored) european cup glory 2005 (crossed the ball for Gerrard's header) 2006 fa cup glory (scored in shoot-out) 2007 charity shield glory (scored) as well as other successes in Riise's time at the club (2003 league cup) and helping us reach other finals (2007 european cup) He's also rocketed in plenty of goals from left back/left wing. The lad has done well in his time at Anfield. Again he doesn't deserve the stick he's getting on here.

Was he worth 50p when he scored an own goal against Southampton a few years back? Or maybe the one against Luton this year in the FA Cup? Or is he only a joke when it's in europe because that's the big trophy and you're all glory hunting for that success.

Time to go for Riise, but still deserves a massive thank you from every single fan of this club for what he's given us over the years. One thing I'll always defend Riise over is his loyalty to this club. Which is why he deserves as big a thank you as most. He plays through love for this club, not money. You could see he was literally heartbroken when he scored that own goal against Chelsea. Thanks for the memories John, great servant to the club.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:56 pm

john craig wrote:Riise is past his sell-by unfortunately.

Still have a few great memories of some of his goals, but there really is no room for sentiment here.

He has gone stale and I think Benitez has lost confidence in him, which is putting him under even more pressure to perform.

Definitely deserves more respect than some on here are showing him, but there is no future for him at Liverpool under Benitez.

Agreed.
LFC2007

Postby metalhead » Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 pm

many people underrate him as a defender in this forum, he is a good defender.

However, his form has been terrible in the last 2 season, so he is going to go.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue May 06, 2008 2:00 am

metalhead wrote:many people underrate him as a defender in this forum, he is a good defender.

However, his form has been terrible in the last 2 season, so he is going to go.

Yep thanks John and goodbye, can already see him in the barcodes kit.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Tue May 06, 2008 4:30 am

I really would be hurt to see Riise in another team's kit.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby maguskwt » Tue May 06, 2008 5:02 am

Torres25 wrote:respect 4 what pickin up his what? 30 thousand plus wages every week 4 the past 2-3 years 4 bein no better then a sunday league player

i have always believed in my ability as a football player but have never had the fitness required & when i c some1 as :censored: riise playing 4 the team i love who has only made it due 2 the fact he has the stanima of a racehorse its like gods stickin 2 fingers up at me

atleast kuyt is a technically good footballer

sorry 2 go off on 1 but thats how :censored: off i am

a bit bitter now, are we?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion