This riise debate - Lets see then.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:47 am

Riise is a good player, nothing more, nothing less. He has good pace, ability to beat a player, he's a strong goal threat and has a very good engine. His defensive qualities aren't bad, but he does have a tendency to get caught out of position and his distribution is average (occasionly he hits a cracking long ball which leads to a goal, but they are few and far between)

We can do better though, he's not an outstanding left back and I feel Aurelio has the qualities to do a better job than Riise given time.
That being said, he's still very capable at either left-back or left-mid and a very useful meber of our first team. I'd only sell him if Chelsea were offering 10 million +.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:03 am

murphy0151 wrote:I dont no were to start with this one but I remmember saying when we signed Fabio Aurelio, thank god we wont be seeing much off Riise now.   As I think hes shittte. 

There were aload off you people who was asking me what planet im from, Riise's one off our best players.  Well lets see how good he is now then.  I told you to watch him closely, did you last night?   He was at best awful, he should off intercepted the pass for there goal.  I lost count off how many times he hit the long ball to no one.  How many times did he actualy pass to a red shirt?  you could count them on one hand.  Maccabi Haffia's right midfielder looked good cause off him.

Im not normally one for slating players but come on people open your eyes Riise isint good enough.  An the sooner Aurlieo or Warnock come into the team the better.

Lets ave a little thing after games.  Lets Name a best player and worst player from every game staring in this thread.  And I bet you Riise will come out the worst more than any other.

Best Player
Pennant

Worst Player
Riise

He's a big player that rises to the occasion. Stevie G has bad games at times, but brings it to another level in others.

Riise is consistant. Dont be stupid and say he's shiiite, because he is fantastic. Everyone is free to have an off day, as long as it didn't count for a loss, Riise will rise to the occasion next game and lift himself and his team mates to glory once again.

I think your comment is shiite!
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 am

well apparently he's off to chavski :laugh:

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_de....t_id=22
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:48 am

stmichael wrote:well apparently he's off to chavski :laugh:

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_de....t_id=22

I dont believe it, but if its true we should get £10million,maybe £12.5million seeing as its Chelsea. More likely just using Riise to put pressure on Arsenal/Cole.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:13 pm

anyone can see that JAR genuinely struggles against tricky wingers who have genuine pace. that's why he's never started a league game against chelsea at left back. yes he played LB in the cup semi last season but maybe that had to do with chelsea scrapping their 4-3-3 system for a diamond in midfield.

i like the guy and think he has a lot to offer but i still see him as a wing back who would be ideal in a 3-5-2 formation. he doesn't have the technical attributes to play regularly in midfield in a 4-4-2.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kopite-Jud » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:29 pm

it would be very hard to replace JAR
Kopite-Jud

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:54 pm

I've said plenty of times in the past on here that we don't see the best of Riise a lot of the time because he's a wing-back, not a full-back or a wide midfielder (although he can do an adequate job in both those positions).  But that's by-the-by as I can't see us playing a wing-back system regularly under Benitez, maybe the odd game.

He's not great defensively, although he has come on leaps and bounds in that department over the last season.  He will always struggle against really tricky wingers though and therefore as far as left back goes, we have some room for improvement.  As far as him playing left mid goes - it's a last resort option imo.  No creativity and not a great first touch mean that as a midfielder he's very limited, but will still get praise on match of the day for his occasional bullet of a goal.

Will Aurelio displace him?  Maybe so, but not necessarily.  Riise has been at the club a long time and has perhaps gone a bit stale.  A new challenger to his LB spot might spur him on again and bring the best out of him - we've seen this with a lot of our current 'old guard':

Carragher:  As a full back he kept new signings like Ziege and then Finnan out of the side through sheer determination.

Finnan:  Rafa's first signing was a right back (Josemi) and with the poor season Finnan had had previously many thought he was on his way out.  But he rose to the challenge to become an integral part of the team.

Hyypia:  A poor run of form the season before last saw Pellegrino signed and Hyypia dropped for a run of league games.  But Hyypia responded by putting in some of his best performances in a red shirt in the latter stages of our CL campaign.

Maybe Riise will respond similarly to how the other members of our back four have in the past, or maybe Aurelio will simply be too good to keep out of the team.  Either way it will be better for LFC anyway and that's what we all want.
Last edited by JC_81 on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:02 pm

If he responds well then we benefit and I hope he does as I have liked the guy but we also have to be clinical with the decisions and if Aurelio pushes him out then team will benefit by being better.  He does need the pressure in his position to be honest.

I dont believe it for one minute but if Chelsea offer loads of money for him then take it
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:07 pm

I wouldn't sell Darren Potter to Chelsea nevermind John Arne Riise. We don't do business with our arch-rivals.  :no
48-1119859832

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm

0asis wrote:I wouldn't sell Darren Potter to Chelsea nevermind John Arne Riise. We don't do business with our arch-rivals.  :no

i'd let them have Diao.  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm

john craig wrote:Will Aurelio displace him?  Maybe so, but not necessarily.  Riise has been at the club a long time and has perhaps gone a bit stale.  A new challenger to his LB spot might spur him on again and bring the best out of him - we've seen this with a lot of our current 'old guard':

Just on that, I don't think Aurelio is necessarily an alternative if you are wanting a defensive LB (he is too attack-minded), so you'd probably have to go for Warnock if you wanted that defensive option.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafa D » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:14 pm

Murph,

When this debate first came up a while ago I thought you were being a bit harsh on JAR, he has scored some important goals for us and I never looked too much into his shortcomings. However after that I thought I would take a look at him this year and the first match he was awful. He never ran at his man all game and his passing was on par with Salif Diao. He made a few mistakes and seemed to never get into the game properly. Sitting there I was actually saying to me mate , that we should look into buying that Mussaudi( their no.10). He was taking the pi$$ out of JAR all game. However there was a worse player on the park in Bolo and I think this contributed to JAR's performance as many times he had two men running at him.

Riise has been a loyal servant to this club and is our fittest member of the squad. He has scored some important goals and has generally Liverpool through and through. I think this added competition will bring the best out of Riise, his form over the past 4 years has been up and down, one good season follows a bad one and last year, he was steady. I hope John knuckles down and  proves to us all what he is all about.

Good Luck John,
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:16 pm

0asis wrote:I wouldn't sell Darren Potter to Chelsea nevermind John Arne Riise. We don't do business with our arch-rivals.  :no

Since when are Chelsea our arch-rivals??

Everton and United are our biggest rivals in that order.  Chelsea just happen to be minding the league trophy for us at the moment.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:18 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

i'd let them have Diao.  :D

chelsea arch-rivals? please.  :glare:

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:20 pm

john craig wrote:

Since when are Chelsea our arch-rivals??

Everton and United are our biggest rivals in that order.  Chelsea just happen to be minding the league trophy for us at the moment.

Liverpool don't like Chelsea, Chelsea don't like Liverpool, Benitez and Mourinho are two young, talented managers, I'd call that a rivalry.
48-1119859832

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion