This riise debate - Lets see then.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Last year we had Kewell there and the balance between the attack and defence was brilliant, we just couldn't score. I know we are experiencing a similar problem this year, but earlier on in the season we were very shaky and the balance was not there, its improved but as we saw against Barca home and away, Riise on the left of midfield makes us look a lot better and a lot stronger.

Where do you see Riise next year?

Spot on about the balance issue, mate.  We've been searching for the proper midfield balance all season, with LM truly the problem position in that respect (both Gerrard and Pennant--to varying degrees and with varying degrees of consistency--can provide what's needed down the right flank).  It wasn't until watching Riise both away and home to Barca did I feel we had the proper fluency on the left side of midfield.  He did a great job in both legs at LM: he helped shackle the likes of Messi on the defensive side but also got forward well and did decent work with his crosses.  Where he really shines, however, is his instinct for popping up in or near the box and getting shots on goal.  Sure, he missed the target a couple of times but the intent was there and he gave Barca problems.  With Garcia out and Gonzales unconvincing, I'd say that Riise is our most reliable and useful LM at the moment.

Having said that, I don't think he has enough in his locker in terms of his ability to beat a man, his crossing and his overall distribution to be first choice LM in a title-challenging side.  Decent right backs are able to neutralize his threat pretty effectively.  For my money, though, he'll still be a vital squad player who can deputize at either LB and LM and who will still get his fair share of starts, regardless of who comes in, due to Rafa's rotation policy.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:20 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Where do you see Riise next year?

I can see more of the same to be honest Doddy. Riise is a classic tweener and that versatility makes him a very valuable member of the squad. He is certainly our best option at left-mid for the time being since little Luis went down. He does get found out by top quality defences when he plays midfield as he is a bit of a one trick pony ie. try and knock the ball past them and beat his man on the outside but you're right when you say he has brought some much needed balance to the left hand side with Aurelio or Arbeloa behind him.

I'm a Riise fan (that should be obvious from my posts in this thread) and while he had a lousy start to the season, he has been one of our most consistent performers since November. He was excellent home and away to Barca in midfield plus it seems to have gone unoticed that he also had a cracking game marking Ronaldo against the mancs at left-back last weekend.

On the subject of Aurelio i agree we have yet to see the best of him and he looks a handy player but i still have doubts on whether he is physical enough to play week-in week-out in this league. As for the Riise bashers, i'm all for replacing a player if there's someone better available but who would we go for? and who could we get?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:27 pm

Good points mate.

I am a Riise fan but this season he has been left looking soft on a few occasions. I believer the LM role is more suited for him.
I know everyone says give Gonzalez a chance but I don't think he has it in him to be honest. You can tell instantly whether a play has enough about him and I have not seen anything in his play to suggest otherwise. He's lightweight and offers no cover to the back line. I will back him but him and Pennant have been let downs for me this year.

I still don't believe we have seen the last of Harry Kewell.... but thats a whole other thread!!
Last edited by Rafa D on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:26 pm

I agree with Scottbot; if we can replace him with a better player (for the left back position) I'm all for it too, as it would then be in the best interest for Liverpool Football Club. But I'm having a hard timing coming up with great left backs out there in the moment. I'm not saying that JAR is one of the best around (though i definitely do rate him), but maybe there's just a shortage of GREAT (not just good) left backs around?
JamCar05

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:45 am

If you want yet another reason to defend Riise as a LM is to look at the LB. Riise is the kind of player who make any LB better and comfortable when he plays on front of him. Put LG or Mark on front of the LB, the left back will have a tougher afternoon, and might end criticised by the forum at the end of the day.

If Rafa sees that we're not having troubles to create chances meanwhile we have the wings locked I can see why he's playing Riise and not Mark at the moment. But don't bury Mark too soon, he's very young and he has his virtues. I know we will see tap in goals of Gonzo because he likes and has the pace to run the counterattacks and he'll be there to finish. I know we'll see his range shot. And I know he'll get more calmness and will give away less balls once he gathers 20 games more in this league.

Different attributes in different players, that's what squad depth is about.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:07 am

Sabre wrote:If you want yet another reason to defend Riise as a LM is to look at the LB. Riise is the kind of player who make any LB better and comfortable when he plays on front of him. Put LG or Mark on front of the LB, the left back will have a tougher afternoon, and might end criticised by the forum at the end of the day.

If Rafa sees that we're not having troubles to create chances meanwhile we have the wings locked I can see why he's playing Riise and not Mark at the moment. But don't bury Mark too soon, he's very young and he has his virtues. I know we will see tap in goals of Gonzo because he likes and has the pace to run the counterattacks and he'll be there to finish. I know we'll see his range shot. And I know he'll get more calmness and will give away less balls once he gathers 20 games more in this league.

Different attributes in different players, that's what squad depth is about.

A very good point well made I think. Risse is a good player at left FB or Left MF, and I would say he is more comfortable playing the left midfield role - He possibly has the hardest shot in the PL which is a bit wasted in deep positions.

He is however limited at the highest level and when Harry is fit and on song there is no comparrison between the two.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm

No doubt he is a better player player as a LM but he is still sh|t, he is absolutely pathetic as a LB.  If we kept on playing players of his quality we will always be the No.4 team in the league.  We need players a lot better than that!
oakton

Postby Rafa D » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 pm

oakton wrote:No doubt he is a better player player as a LM but he is still sh|t, he is absolutely pathetic as a LB.  If we kept on playing players of his quality we will always be the No.4 team in the league.  We need players a lot better than that!

We're actually number 3 team in the league and considering we have won every piece of silverwear bar the Premier League. I think the squad and the staff have done well. I just feel some games we have been let down by Riise lapsing in concentration or being out of position. The season was a write off for us in October but we have to rectify the mistakes for next time round.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:16 pm

oakton wrote:he is still sh|t, he is absolutely pathetic as a LB. 

That's your opinion pal but i think that it is a 'pathetic' post. Are you saying that Carra, Agger, Sami and Finnan are SO GOOD that they can carry a 'pathetic' LB like Riise and still have the best (or thereabouts) defensive record in the league for two seasons running!!! ???
:censored: knows how good we will be if we get a decent left-back in this summer? I wonder if we will even let in a goal next season?

Well well over the top
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:26 pm

I actually agree with sabre on riise playing LM

we should see more aurelio(LB) and riise(LM) partnership, it brings balance.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby murphy0151 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Riis e done well last night again int he left midfield slot but what I want to know it how the :censored: can he afford white boots lol
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:52 pm

This may be hindsight but I thought it at the time anway..... I miss you Warnock! Seriously though Warnock playing consistently at LB and Riise LM for this season would have given us more balance until we get the upgrades for next season.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:35 pm

I really think he will be off at the end of the season this is twice now in the last few games he has been subbed early.
And with Arbeloa, Aurelio, Gonzales, and Kewell nearly fit I really think he is out the door in the summer.
Just have a strange feeling about it.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Ciggy wrote:I really think he will be off at the end of the season this is twice now in the last few games he has been subbed early.
And with Arbeloa, Aurelio, Gonzales, and Kewell nearly fit I really think he is out the door in the summer.
Just have a strange feeling about it.

Leaving us with one left back in Aurelio who has just ruptured his achillies tendon which is a career threatening injury.

Wise words as ever from the logical and thoughtful one.

If Rafa's stupid enough to let Riise go without a replacement I'd be very suprised.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion