This riise debate - Lets see then.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:12 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:I dont no were to start with this one but I remmember saying when we signed Fabio Aurelio, thank god we wont be seeing much off Riise now.   As I think hes shittte. 

There were aload off you people who was asking me what planet im from, Riise's one off our best players.  Well lets see how good he is now then.  I told you to watch him closely, did you last night?   He was at best awful, he should off intercepted the pass for there goal.  I lost count off how many times he hit the long ball to no one.  How many times did he actualy pass to a red shirt?  you could count them on one hand.  Maccabi Haffia's right midfielder looked good cause off him.

Im not normally one for slating players but come on people open your eyes Riise isint good enough.  An the sooner Aurlieo or Warnock come into the team the better.

Lets ave a little thing after games.  Lets Name a best player and worst player from every game staring in this thread.  And I bet you Riise will come out the worst more than any other.

Best Player
Pennant

Worst Player
Riise

How much of a d!ck do you feel now?

w.@nker!!

Cause he scored a good goal???

No one including Murph ever said anything personal about Riise!And to say he's a w.anker is wrong.What the original post stated still stands and is factual to anyone that has a reasonable appreciation of football!
Of course we are all grateful to Riise for that goal...but the season has not started yet !

Over the long season ahead,it is a fact that Riise will have more stinkers where he merely goes amiss and is a shadow of the player that scored that goal!
I wish i was wrong but its true!
Unfortunately 2 or 3 wonder goals a season do not compensate for a lack of consistancy and to many poor to mediocre performances!!

All the same thanks Riise...that was a good un!!!!

:)

Bit harsh!

Riise has been used as an attacking full back in recent years, and of course he might not have such a huge impact on games as he might have in the past.

But he has a defensive job to do and he sticks to it, consistantly! To call that mediocre, is very harsh Bazza. Sure that game against Haifa was terrible by everyones standards, but to call the guy shiite is a disgrace and a w.@nker of a comment, and I stick to that!

Im not talking just about the Haifa game or today!!

I mean over the season,his consistancy or lack of it should i say!

Im delighted with his goal today and being honest like every fan i would love him to play great every time he pulls on the shirt!
But watching every game i can over the season i just feel theres too many i say 'where was Riise today' when he's been on the park for 90 mins!!

But then again thats just my opinion!

Barry I may have mis-read the context of your post but surely there must be times when Riise hasn't been that much involved in the game because we have been strong in midfield and not given the opposition too many chances to get at our defence.

Personally I think Riise is one of the better left sided players around. There are times when he gets turned by an attacking player but he does stick to his task and does provide us with a bit of versatility down that left side.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby buxxy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:25 pm

riise goal was well good
buxxy

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:41 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:I dont no were to start with this one but I remmember saying when we signed Fabio Aurelio, thank god we wont be seeing much off Riise now.   As I think hes shittte. 

There were aload off you people who was asking me what planet im from, Riise's one off our best players.  Well lets see how good he is now then.  I told you to watch him closely, did you last night?   He was at best awful, he should off intercepted the pass for there goal.  I lost count off how many times he hit the long ball to no one.  How many times did he actualy pass to a red shirt?  you could count them on one hand.  Maccabi Haffia's right midfielder looked good cause off him.

Im not normally one for slating players but come on people open your eyes Riise isint good enough.  An the sooner Aurlieo or Warnock come into the team the better.

Lets ave a little thing after games.  Lets Name a best player and worst player from every game staring in this thread.  And I bet you Riise will come out the worst more than any other.

Best Player
Pennant

Worst Player
Riise

w.@nker!!

No one including Murph ever said anything personal about Riise!And to say he's a w.anker is wrong.What the original post stated still stands and is factual to anyone that has a reasonable appreciation of football!
Of course we are all grateful to Riise for that goal...but the season has not started yet !

Over the long season ahead,it is a fact that Riise will have more stinkers where he merely goes amiss and is a shadow of the player that scored that goal!
Unfortunately 2 or 3 wonder goals a season do not compensate for a lack of consistancy and to many poor to mediocre performances!!

Bit harsh!

Riise has been used as an attacking full back in recent years, and of course he might not have such a huge impact on games as he might have in the past.

But he has a defensive job to do and he sticks to it, consistantly! To call that mediocre, is very harsh Bazza. Sure that game against Haifa was terrible by everyones standards, but to call the guy shiite is a disgrace and a w.@nker of a comment, and I stick to that!

Im delighted with his goal today and being honest like every fan i would love him to play great every time he pulls on the shirt!
But watching every game i can over the season i just feel theres too many i say 'where was Riise today' when he's been on the park for 90 mins!!

Barry I may have mis-read the context of your post but surely there must be times when Riise hasn't been that much involved in the game because we have been strong in midfield and not given the opposition too many chances to get at our defence.

Personally I think Riise is one of the better left sided players around. There are times when he gets turned by an attacking player but he does stick to his task and does provide us with a bit of versatility down that left side.

OK then mate answer these few questions???

1)Is JAR in your opinion a solid left back,defender?

2)Is JAR a good Left Winger?

3)If so are his crosses good enough?

4)When its obvious that 95% of the time LFC will be playing a 4-4-2 do you feel that JAR is of the calibre and has the ability to fit into this formation?

5)Does the fact that JAR is good to watch at times overcloud the fact that his mediocracy is his most consistant trait?

6) Where or what is his his best position?

7) Do people like him cause he can run at times??

Just a few questions mate...maybe im wrong like.But i can only type what i feel!
66-1120597113

Postby alessandromagno » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:04 pm

There are points for and against Riise. In my opinion, there is no doubt, however, that Rafa should keep him as he is that versatile utility player that every team needs--plus 4 or 5 cracking goals a season like the one he got today is a nice bonus!
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:32 pm

JAR is a cracking left back i hope he keeps his place for many seasons to come.:D :D
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:37 pm

jkop wrote:JAR is a cracking left back i hope he keeps his place for many seasons to come.:D :D

Cracking?
66-1120597113

Postby JC_81 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:50 pm

This thread highlights how fickle some fans can be.

Riise has a bad game against Haifa and in some peoples' eyes he should be sold.

He scores a cracker today and he's now an excellent attacking full back.

The reality is he's somewhere in between - and he's summed up by these 2 games - consistently decent defensively but not watertight, and always capable of the spectacular going forward.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HantsRed » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Like almost all players Riise has some faults but I really can't think of many better all-round left backs in the Premiership. Cole and Heinze maybe.
Even then Riise can play at left-mid better than either of those and he scores more goals.

Some people seem to have become fixated on any little mistake he makes. If you are only looking for negatives, you will only see negatives. I prefer to see the positives JAR brings.
HantsRed

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:33 pm

john craig wrote:This thread highlights how fickle some fans can be.

Riise has a bad game against Haifa and in some peoples' eyes he should be sold.

He scores a cracker today and he's now an excellent attacking full back.

The reality is he's somewhere in between - and he's summed up by these 2 games - consistently decent defensively but not watertight, and always capable of the spectacular going forward.

He's neither John...he's just Riise!!

What i tried to highlight was his lack of consistancy,but eejits cant comprehend that!
Ok he scored a good un..it seems a part time hero makes some happy....a hero is always good,what about the usual 5 games that follow when he does fu.ck all??

Is it Ok then cause he scored a good goal 5 weeks ago?

Aye that is Riise..hot n cold...but he has a good left foot??Fail to mention that technically he's terrible and usually is the link in the team that looses posession...he can go forward and sometimes make a good pass...if the ball comes back to him ???Forget it ...attack over!

Ohy yeah and he can run as well!
66-1120597113

Postby redmikey » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 pm

when he is named in the team i never tut and wish he wasn;t starting , like djimi he is solid with being flashy, finnan is the same imo unremarkable but essential
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:53 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:
el_stinger wrote:

Best Player
Pennant

Worst Player
Riise

w.@nker!!

Bit harsh!

OK then mate answer these few questions???

4)When its obvious that 95% of the time LFC will be playing a 4-4-2 do you feel that JAR is of the calibre and has the ability to fit into this formation?

5)Does the fact that JAR is good to watch at times overcloud the fact that his mediocracy is his most consistant trait?

Just a few questions mate...maybe im wrong like.But i can only type what i feel!

OK mate I now get that you are trying to point out Riise's inconsistencies and i do admit that he does have a tendency to put in the odd below par performance. I'll try to answer your questions below and see what sort of outcome i get.

Admittedly he does have his wobbles defensively and at times he can be left wanting but I do think that there aren't too many other LB's out there that I'd sonner have - whilst waiting to see what Aurelio turns out like.
When you look at JAR as a winger he certainly doesn't have a problem running at defenders and does have the ability to get past them but yes his crossing isn't up to the standard that you'd expect from a winger. Then again I don't believe he is an out and out winger.
I'd have to say that discounting his goals over the past five years since he joined I don't believe that he has done too badly playing in a 4-4-2 for the club. I'd challenge anyone to find a player over that sort of period at the one club that hasn't had a few bad games. The bigger question here though is does Rafa see JAR fitting into that fomation and with the capture of Aurelio some may be saying no. Then again can we be so sure of that? Josemi was brought in to basically give Finnan a good boot up the @rse and it has worked but Aurelio is certainly in a different class to Josemi so maybe Rafa has decided that he wants something different at LB. In my opinion though in the five years he's been at the club he has worked out a lot better than the probable alternative (traore :Oo:  )and had we not signed Aurelio I think we'd still have had a decent LB for our standard 4-4-2 formation.
Labelling JAR as mediocre as pretty harsh IMO. As you've said yourself Barry, he does have an inconsistant streak to his game but it can't that bad for him to have been a regular in an ever improving Liverpool side and at international level. The fact that he is good to watch should be seen as a plus because that is what Rafa is trying to achieve - a winning side that is good to watch.
I've had no complaints about JAR at LB over the past few years and I'm not gonna start now.
I can't really answer for other people as I'm not psychic :p but as we saw today against the rent boys it certainly does have it's advantages.

I just get the feeling that this thread is a case of people for some reason wanting to have a player to have a good whinge about within the Liverpool squad and because most of Houlliers shite has now been shifted the mantel has fallen to JAR. This is by no means a new phenomenon (do-doo,der,doo-doo  ???  ) going back to when I first started watching Liverpool in the eighties people would always be moaning about Gary Ablett for example and in the 90's.......
well there's too many to name from the 90's but you get the idea. I agree that JAR is going to be inconsistent at times but I still think that some are going way over the top on here about him being a weak link.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 pm

riise played a good game ! great goal and an all-round brilliant performance from by the guy.... but lets keep one thing in mind ... Chelsea were playin a fck of a formation out there today ! they had no out and out right winger until SWP was brought in late in the second half, and S. Kalou who was yet and again trying to play on the right wing for chelsea had a terrible terrible game ! Riise was very good and went forward alot because for the most part he was up against a right Chelsea side consisting of a below-par Geremi !
Aurelio came on and that also gave Liverpool extra room in that left flank...
good game overall by riise, but it's his consistency throughout the season that worries me ! I think that if he can work on his form and try to be consistent  (not brilliant) week in week out he can command the LB and as some said is probably one of the best LB's in the league ! Good luck to Riise but if he cant maintain his form, Aurelio is always there to start instead !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:30 pm

i love JAR not in a gay way but of his class , his performances , and his very good sportsman ship JAR YNWA  :bowdown
Kopite-Jud

Postby ALONSO » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:49 am

Just read on ceefax 338 that chelsea are going to bid 15mil for riise, probably a load of rubbish cos it's from the daily star. If it was true I wouldn't want us to sell I don't think he's a great defender he's o.k but as an attacking left back I really rate him and he always seems to put 100% in.
ALONSO

Postby el_stinger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 am

He's not shiite, and thats what I said when I called the topic starter a w@.nker for saying it. He is versatile, ok, maybe not entirely world class, but the boy has fight and love for the shirt, and there aren't too many players like that.

No matter what, he'll give you 110% when he's on that pitch.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion