Theres still two pieces of silverware - To be won

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
The_Rock wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
The_Rock wrote:really hope we do well in the champions league (ie...winning it)..else this season will be a massive write-off.

What about the FA cup ?

We are on the verge of the quarters, we should progress against Barnsley and one of the two main threats will be going out.

Its the champions league or the premier league....thats how LFC should be judged.

Winning the FA cup will be nice though....but i prefer the champions league.

So would i...but if we won the FA cup and finished fourth i wouldnt consider the season a write off at all.

The fa cup would be so much sweeter if we clinched fourth and won the champions league . Fa cup , we should progress in tot he quarter finals easily and then we only have 3 games till the cup
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Bamaga man wrote: :love: Nanny luv, since you've been flirting with S@int and others I've decided to give you the elbow, Cigy is my treacle now. :D

Right back to the football, We'll win the FA cup  :buttrock

:D classic , but does ciggy want u mate??
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:02 pm

Sabre wrote:Lots of things must be improved in all fronts (Owners, Rafa's decissions, Proper backing of Rafa, players giving 110%) if we want to be there again. Of course Liverpool has the potential  the quality and the spirit to sort these things, now we must do it.

Why do you have to keep mentioning the owners ?  :no  Listen...they have patched up stuff with rafa...and rafa is suing NOTW. Thats it. Don't make the owners a convenient excuse........ They have almost tied up mascherano. They have given rafa cash for skertel....What more do you want them to do ? Lets not forget that they also have a stadium to build...

I know you want all of us to support rafa until the end of this season..... and i agree to it as i want the champions league. So lets at the same time forget about the owners until then and concentrate on the field...shall we ........
Last edited by The_Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm

The_Rock wrote:
Sabre wrote:Lots of things must be improved in all fronts (Owners, Rafa's decissions, Proper backing of Rafa, players giving 110%) if we want to be there again. Of course Liverpool has the potential  the quality and the spirit to sort these things, now we must do it.

Why do you have to keep mentioning the owners ?  :no  Listen...they have patched up stuff with rafa...and rafa is suing NOTW. Thats it. Don't make the owners a convenient excuse........ They have almost tied up mascherano. They have given rafa cash for skertel....What more do you want them to do ? Lets not forget that they also have a stadium to build...

I know you want all of us to support rafa until the end of this season..... and i agree to it as i want the champions league. So lets at the same time forget about the owners until then and concentrate on the field...shall we ........

Rock I will more likely have a wild passionate night of sex with Torres, before G & H build us a stadium.

They didnt buy any of them players with their own money the fans will be paying for them new players from bank loans.

Anyway I didnt even want to mention them in here, lets talk about football and fuck the two carpet baggers off.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Ciggy wrote:
The_Rock wrote:

Rock I will more likely have a wild passionate night of sex with Torres, before G & H build us a stadium.

They didnt buy any of them players with their own money the fans will be paying for them new players from bank loans.

Anyway I didnt even want to mention them in here, lets talk about football and fuck the two carpet baggers off.

Well...i want them out of here too....but it is ridiculous if we keep mentioning about them whenever we have a bad performance.

Like you said...lets just don't mention them at all until the end of the season...Who knows this might be the tonic our team needs to win number 6  :buttrock

Then i can finally change my signature......i am getting sick of it :p...

BTW....i am really getting jealous of torres.....  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Ciggy wrote:
The_Rock wrote:

Are u secretly , hoping for that?   :p
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Are u secretly , hoping for that?   :p

Hoping yer to right, but its never gona happen is it  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm not blaming anybody or anything from now on. I've just had a rant about how disappointed I am that we're out of the league race. I couldn't give a toss if we go unbeaten, win both FA Cup and European Cup this season, I want the league title and it's not happening. The league title proves you're best around in your country. Cup runs you can get the odd bit of the luck here and there. Look at the European Cup this season, lose half our league matches, and yet still qualify ??? Think you could get away with picking up 1 point in the opening 19 Premiership games, and still come 2nd in it? Cup runs depend who has the luck of the green and who want it more on the day. League football is all about consitancy and nobody can dispute the fact that you deserve the league title, that's why it's so important to me. Anybody who's happy or content with us fighting for fourth isn't a fan of this club. You're happy with fourth because it means Champions League football next year, well the players, staff, the board and any fan who's happy with that, should be embarrassed of themselves. Fourth place, if the people who built this club into the name it is today, could see this they'd be turning in their graves. My new quote seems to be 1st will always be1st and 2nd will always be nothing. That's 2nd, what the hell is 4th? And you lot are happy with that. Concentrate on fourth, no lets not. Lets concentrate on first, lets go out with the attitude we can still win this league.

Our own skipper has given up. He knows what this club is about (apparently) if he did he'd know we don't give up. But of course he's like the rest of modern fans, up for the big games in Europe, but he'll go through the motions against Boro at Anfield. I'm ashamed of anybody who even thinks we're out of any competition until it's impossible for us to win. But when the players are believing we're out of it, what's the point eh? Why not just concentrate on Europe and ensure we get into the Champions League that way eh? That's all people are interested in. More spotlight for them isn't, more :censored: money for the greedy :censored:. The league is what counts, or it certainly does for me.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:06 pm

You are contradicting yourself in your post. If 2nd is nothing that must mean that everything else is also nothing, meaning there is no difference between 2nd and 4th, so whats the point?  It is quite apparent that we cannot win the league this year, even if we take full points for the rest of the season we still probably wouldn't finish with enough points. Silverware is the only thing that matters, so if you cannot WIN the league, you cannot get any pieces of silverware from the competition. BUT, like the thread said, there are still two pieces which we have a chance at winning, and everyone can agree that silverware is better than no silverware, so it would make sense to focus on those games.

Everyone wanted to win the league this year. Everyone is dissapointed that we are not going to. BUT what is the point in wallowing in our own disapointment when we can still go out there and do something about it and win SOMETHING. YES the league is the number 1 trophy you can win everyone agrees. It is the hardest, but the fact that this season has been bad in the league should not stop us from trying to win other cups, thats why they exist.

And it isn't like we are going out there and throwing away league matches on purpose. We are just in a really bad rough patch of form for the last 5-6 weeks and that is pretty depresssing.  We actually had a pretty good start in the league, best under Rafa, we were right up there with a game in hand, and we had been robbed of two points aginst chelsea and the only thing people were complaining about was Birmingham and Pompey for a long time, then January came.  Nobody wanted this to happen, we just couldn't get it done and the blame should probably be spread somewhat evenly over a few dozen reasons.   And we aren't going to start giving up on winning games in the league, its going to be a dogfight to finish 4th.
JoeTerp

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:I'm not blaming anybody or anything from now on. I've just had a rant about how disappointed I am that we're out of the league race. I couldn't give a toss if we go unbeaten, win both FA Cup and European Cup this season, I want the league title and it's not happening. The league title proves you're best around in your country. Cup runs you can get the odd bit of the luck here and there. Look at the European Cup this season, lose half our league matches, and yet still qualify ??? Think you could get away with picking up 1 point in the opening 19 Premiership games, and still come 2nd in it? Cup runs depend who has the luck of the green and who want it more on the day. League football is all about consitancy and nobody can dispute the fact that you deserve the league title, that's why it's so important to me. Anybody who's happy or content with us fighting for fourth isn't a fan of this club. You're happy with fourth because it means Champions League football next year, well the players, staff, the board and any fan who's happy with that, should be embarrassed of themselves. Fourth place, if the people who built this club into the name it is today, could see this they'd be turning in their graves. My new quote seems to be 1st will always be1st and 2nd will always be nothing. That's 2nd, what the hell is 4th? And you lot are happy with that. Concentrate on fourth, no lets not. Lets concentrate on first, lets go out with the attitude we can still win this league.

Our own skipper has given up. He knows what this club is about (apparently) if he did he'd know we don't give up. But of course he's like the rest of modern fans, up for the big games in Europe, but he'll go through the motions against Boro at Anfield. I'm ashamed of anybody who even thinks we're out of any competition until it's impossible for us to win. But when the players are believing we're out of it, what's the point eh? Why not just concentrate on Europe and ensure we get into the Champions League that way eh? That's all people are interested in. More spotlight for them isn't, more :censored: money for the greedy :censored:. The league is what counts, or it certainly does for me.

You wouldn't care if we win the CL or the FA cup.  You really are hard to please!
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:19 am

JoeTerp wrote:You are contradicting yourself in your post. If 2nd is nothing that must mean that everything else is also nothing, meaning there is no difference between 2nd and 4th, so whats the point?  It is quite apparent that we cannot win the league this year, even if we take full points for the rest of the season we still probably wouldn't finish with enough points. Silverware is the only thing that matters, so if you cannot WIN the league, you cannot get any pieces of silverware from the competition. BUT, like the thread said, there are still two pieces which we have a chance at winning, and everyone can agree that silverware is better than no silverware, so it would make sense to focus on those games.

Everyone wanted to win the league this year. Everyone is dissapointed that we are not going to. BUT what is the point in wallowing in our own disapointment when we can still go out there and do something about it and win SOMETHING. YES the league is the number 1 trophy you can win everyone agrees. It is the hardest, but the fact that this season has been bad in the league should not stop us from trying to win other cups, thats why they exist.

And it isn't like we are going out there and throwing away league matches on purpose. We are just in a really bad rough patch of form for the last 5-6 weeks and that is pretty depresssing.  We actually had a pretty good start in the league, best under Rafa, we were right up there with a game in hand, and we had been robbed of two points aginst chelsea and the only thing people were complaining about was Birmingham and Pompey for a long time, then January came.  Nobody wanted this to happen, we just couldn't get it done and the blame should probably be spread somewhat evenly over a few dozen reasons.   And we aren't going to start giving up on winning games in the league, its going to be a dogfight to finish 4th.

Number one, where's my contradiction? I'm happy with nothing other than first, everything else is a failure. I don't think I I've said anything else have I?

Number two, we were robbed by Chelsea, well these things happen. Opening day we were handed a "generous" free kick which Gerrard stuck in the top corner, and won us the match. So the two points we robbed off Villa were taken back off us against Chelsea. These things usually even themselves out.

The reason people talk about Pompey and Birmingham are for the following reasons. Pomepy Benitez (for whatever reason) played a weakened side against them, when and this must be made crystal clear, when we were still very much in the hunt for the title. Birmingham get's criticised because you don't drop points at home to Birmingham City. Not if you plan on winning the league anyway. My personal favourite was the Reading game, that's the one that lost us the title IMO. Brigning players off who could win you game when you're 3-1 down, great vision and tactics by Benitez. I still believe it's because we had the European Cup game coming up next.

"A dogfight for fourth" do you know how sick to the stomach I was reading that, never mind repeating it. It's like you're proud of it. I am disgusted that we're even in this position. The money spent (if it's not good enough to get ahead of United and Chelsea which is what I'm told) it's more than bloody enough to be miles ahead of Everton, Villa, City, Pompey and Blackburn. Do you think our players know how to fight? If they did they wouldn't of drawn so many games, they'd of grinded those draws into wins. Our players don't have the guts for a fight, which is why I don't see us making fourth.

Lastly for that russian fella, I'm not hard to please, win the league title and I'm as happy as a sandboy on a beach.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:35 am

A dogfight for fourth" do you know how sick to the stomach I was reading that, never mind repeating it. It's like you're proud of it. I am disgusted that we're even in this position. The money spent (if it's not good enough to get ahead of United and Chelsea which is what I'm told) it's more than bloody enough to be miles ahead of Everton, Villa, City, Pompey and Blackburn. Do you think our players know how to fight? If they did they wouldn't of drawn so many games, they'd of grinded those draws into wins. Our players don't have the guts for a fight, which is why I don't see us making fourth.

"Its like your proud of it" thats not the interpretation I got from reading his post, but what he does say is true there is no point in wallowing on about it. It cannot be undone now, enough negative energy has been wasted over the last two months or so. Nobody is happy about scraping for fourth, try not to make out your the only passionate and hard done by fan on this board, it wont wash and quite simply isnt true.

I say we play out the rest of our season, carry on our "dogfight" for fourth, do the best we can in the cup competitions and evaluate ourselves come the summer. As it stands though for me Rafa leaving shoud be a priority, he hasnt taken us any nearer to challenging for the league than Houllier did, he has an abysmal record against the other three big teams, he makes some inexcusable team selections, formations and substitutions. For me he has WAY TOO MANY FLAWS come the domestic aspect of his managing in England, we need to seriously consider other options I feel.

Some people on here will defend him till their blue in the face, IMO nothing short of stupidity, but for any supporter to be happy about fourth is way off the mark, even if he is a Yank ..... I think.
66-1112520797

Postby JoeTerp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:38 pm

thank you Bamaga

And I was WELL familiar with people's complaints on the birmingham and pompey matches, I was just pointing out we didn't know how good we had it then when we only had TWO league matches to complain about, compared to now when we sucked balls for all of January and now well into February, its a terrible run and it pisses me off and is well well well below standard.

And as bamaga understood, i don't get excited about a dogfight for fourth, it pisses me off, but if you look at the table, that is the situation we are in.  Obviously the team needs to focus on winning every game, but as a fan the first teams that I am going to check for the rest of the season are the everton, villa, city and pompey results because that is who we are competing with now.  And if you don;t think 4th matters, than you are crazy, because money DOES make the world go round and we need as much of it as possible to improve the team for next season.

As far as the to sack or not to sack, I would only pull the trigger if I KNEW that there was a manager available that I know would leave who I knew with as close as absolute certainty as possible was going to be better than Rafa in the league and could bring us a title.  Otherwise I would stick with Rafa and see if the team starts to improve with some consistency at the helm
JoeTerp

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:07 pm

"A dogfight for fourth" it still makes me sick to the stomach. A club of this size shouldn't be fighting for fourth. Plus I haven't said fourth doesn't matter, but it's still failure. As is third, as is second. They are failures. 1st is the only success is life and in football.

I couldn't give a toss who we're fighting with, we shouldn't be in that position. I won't accept that Liverpool Football Club is only good enough for fourth, I will however accept that Benitez is only good enough to fight for third or fourth. Therefore he has to be removed from the club, unless he changes his entire management of the club.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:17 pm

1 now :D slides in and out of topic.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion