Theo walcott - Please dont slate me for this

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bring_back_biscan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 pm

No, its like fifty cent to Chelsea.
bring_back_biscan

Postby azriahmad » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:25 am

If Chelsea is willing to bid 8 million and fight it out with manure (rumours I have heard), let them have him. The amount for an 16 year old is way too much.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red @ Heart » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:44 am

Damn chelsae got their finger in everyones pie, i think they  buy players just to stop the likes of liverpool and others from getting him. But 8mil for an 16 year old that is very bad, i thought the 28 mil Manu paid for rooney was pathetic he was only 17 or 18 then.
"GERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD what a goal"
Red @ Heart
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:11 am

The money Manure paid for Rooney was the shrewdest piece of business in Fergusons period as manager in my view. They absolutely stole him and had Mourinho been at Chelsea, I feel sure he would have gone to London for maybe 10 million more. A blind man can see Rooneys talent. He is potentially the best player in the World.
In the case of Walcott, I have seen him twice now and there is no question he is a smashing young player who will go on to have a good career barring injuries. My only reservation about the rave reviews he is recieving is that his game is largely based around searing pace it seems to me. He really does look Henri like in the way he burns off the opposing centre-halves but it is worth remembering that he is playing in the Championship. Defenders one level up know a bit more and are a bit quicker and the young fella may not look so fantastic up there.
My own feeling is that if I was the kids Dad, I'd tell him to stay at Southampton for another couple of years. He's get regular football and the space to develop as a footballer in a relatively small town where he no doubt still lives with his family. If I was his agent I'd be looking for a money upfront but he stays where he is for a year deal which has been muted from Chelsea. If I was Rafa, three or four million would be a big gamble for me. Eight million is just silly money IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49 am

Agreed Mick.

Reminds me of the deal we did for 'teenage sensation', 'whizz kid' Wayne Harrison from Oldham in 1985, paid a then record fee for a teenager (£250/300,000?) and all the press surrounding the deal.

Just didn't work. If I remember rightly, he just did not develop into the player he was hyped up to be, plagued by injuries, few reserve games and slowly faded into the abyss, then shipped out.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:07 pm

The rumours down here (i live 15 miles from Southampton) say that the lad favours a move to Liverpool and that he is not keen on a move to Chelsea. Only rumours but a one of the lads i teach is a season-ticket holder at St.Mary's and has a couple of friends who work at the club.

I agree the kid's father would be crazy to let his son move anywhere else at this stage of his development. The most sensible option for any big club would be to buy the lad and let him stay on loan at the Saints for another season or two (as we did with Pongo and ALT)

Must admit he looks like he will be a VERY special player in the future. You can argue 8 mill is crazy money but then he could be one of those who is worth triple that in 2 years time.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:58 pm

How long ago did I have a thread on Theo Walcott? ages ago! Thats the problem, this is a great example that as soon as the media have a player on the backpage, his value rockets!And everyman and his dog will want to buy him!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:01 pm

Sorry, but 8 million for a 16 year old?!  too much of a risk for me
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby craig da Toxteth iron » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:19 pm

The kid should keep it up. Theo is a great talent.
Image Image

craig da Toxteth iron

Postby banana » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:02 pm

I do agree that the kid should stay a bit longer down south. He is getting regular football at a fairly high standard, and he is living in familiar surroundings with his family and friends. Taking that kid away from his family and friends may harm him and we should wait a year or two. But it is obvious that if we want this kid we must act before the other clubs do. Walcott must be grazy if he is going to chelsea. I think the team spirit and the togetherness and tradition of liverpool is what he should think about, and then there should be no doubt. Maybe Crouchy and Jamie Redknapp could talk a bit sense to the boy since they know the club.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:29 pm

I've never seen the lad, but I can tell you this for free:

Rafael Benitez will NOT pay £8m for a 16 year-old. Not a chance. Perhaps a 10th of that.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:26 pm

Rafael Benitez will NOT pay £8m for a 16 year-old. Not a chance. Perhaps a 10th of that.

If he was French......Houllier would have.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 pm

The way chelsea can control the market is an absolute joke. They just flutter the money around and they have clubs singing and danceing to there tune. Still Theo is good on champ :D  isnt that right St. Michael
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:34 pm

maximus wrote:Agreed Mick.

Reminds me of the deal we did for 'teenage sensation', 'whizz kid' Wayne Harrison from Oldham in 1985, paid a then record fee for a teenager (£250/300,000?) and all the press surrounding the deal.

Just didn't work. If I remember rightly, he just did not develop into the player he was hyped up to be, plagued by injuries, few reserve games and slowly faded into the abyss, then shipped out.

Harrison was bought when the lunatics were in charge of the asylum and suffered a serious injury "larking about"  in a hotel  in the Channel Islands on a pre season tour. That would not happen now.
The lad had loads of potential but was never looked after correctly. That incident cost us a few good youngsters who got the blame for poor supervision/management.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:36 am

7_Kewell wrote:

If he was French......Houllier would have.

And Houllier would also have continued to deploy JC as a right-back, played Igor Biscan alongside Sami, had a midfield of Gerrard, Diao, Kewell and Murphy, and used second-rate playground tactics in the heavy defeat to Olympiacos in the final round of the CL group stage last season, thereby getting us knocked out.

Still, on the bright side, we'd still have Owen.  ???

Thank God for Rafa!!!!!!!!!

:bowdown  :)  :grinning:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion