The 'we're not english, we're scouse' stuff - Bit sad really

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:52 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
but I consider myself British, not English

And you've lost your identity straight away.

This thread is now starting to remind me of home.

Why Emerald ?
66-1112520797

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:53 pm

it aint bollox, but you would need to live life as a scouser to fully understand it, its not just about playing for England and it has nothing to do with only scousers supporting Liverpool.

simplest way to explain it would be to say if Liverpool fell off the map tomorrow most of the country wouldnt give a shit.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:55 pm

simplest way to explain it would be to say if Liverpool fell off the map tomorrow most of the country wouldnt give a :censored:.

Thats utter bollox mate.
66-1112520797

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
but I consider myself British, not English

And you've lost your identity straight away.

This thread is now starting to remind me of home.

Why Emerald ?

I won't get into it, seriously. But what you just said there makes a whole lot of sense to some, and is lost on other's here. One of the many reasons why my land has been troubled for a long time.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 pm

I am proud to be English to me there is no superior or better nationality than English. I am not happy with the way the country is heading, such as the social break downs and the loss of traditional mannerisms which have defined us English as being great people.

I look at England and where is the pride which once beamed out of English people? Where is the community spirit and the street carnivals gone? Where has the celebration of all things English gone? It’s disappearing which is a grave shame, but no matter how much damage the government tries to inflict on the characteristics of English people, they will never destroy my faith in the country, they will never take the characteristics which only we English have.

I’m proud to have come from such a great nation which was built on the hands of hard working individuals who shaped this nation into one of the most powerful superpowers of the nineteenth century and I am proud of this country’s illustrious past and when I hang St George out of my window during an International tournament it fills me with great pride and passion, that only being English can produce.

It’s a sad, but an understandable state of affairs when English people from different regional zones decide to segregate themselves from their fellow countrymen. This subject highlights what’s wrong with England, but This is England and I bleed the colour of the St George's flag and it's a shame that not every English person feels this way.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:00 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I am proud to be English to me there is no superior or better nationality than English. I am not happy with the way the country is heading, such as the social break downs and the loss of traditional mannerisms which have defined us English as being great people.

I look at England and where is the pride which once beamed out of English people? Where is the community spirit and the street carnivals gone? Where has the celebration of all things English gone? It’s disappearing which is a grave shame, but no matter how much damage the government tries to destroy the characteristics of English people, they will never destroy my faith in the country, they will never take the characteristics which only we English have.

I’m proud to have come from such a great nation which was built on the hands of hard working individuals who shaped this nation into one of the most powerful superpowers of the nineteenth century and I am proud of this country’s illustrious past and when I hang St George out of my window during an International tournament it fills me with great pride and passion, that only being English can produce.

It’s a sad, but an understandable state of affairs when English people from different regional zones decide to segregate themselves from their fellow countrymen. This subject highlights what’s wrong with England, but This is England and I bleed the colour of the St George's flag and it's damn shame that not every English person feels this way.

Nice post there mate.
66-1112520797

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:11 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I am proud to be English to me there is no superior or better nationality than English. I am not happy with the way the country is heading, such as the social break downs and the loss of traditional mannerisms which have defined us English as being great people.

I look at England and where is the pride which once beamed out of English people? Where is the community spirit and the street carnivals gone? Where has the celebration of all things English gone? It’s disappearing which is a grave shame, but no matter how much damage the government tries to inflict on the characteristics of English people, they will never destroy my faith in the country, they will never take the characteristics which only we English have.

It’s a sad, but an understandable state of affairs when English people from different regional zones decide to segregate themselves from their fellow countrymen. This subject highlights what’s wrong with England, but This is England and I bleed the colour of the St George's flag and it's a shame that not every English person feels this way.

Yeh , good post mate, there's absolutly nothing wrong in being proud of where you come from. It's like being proud to come from liverpool, i think i feel more of an affinity with my fellow scousers than i do with my fellow englishmen . To me it's got feck all to do with footy really , it's to do with where i live and the way i was brought up. That's all really . :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:29 pm

"Patriotism is the virtue of the wicked" - Oscar Wilde
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:34 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:

Yeh , good post mate, there's absolutly nothing wrong in being proud of where you come from. It's like being proud to come from liverpool, i think i feel more of an affinity with my fellow scousers than i do with my fellow englishmen . To me it's got feck all to do with footy really , it's to do with where i live and the way i was brought up. That's all really . :)

In an ideal world, it is this mindset that is the perfect one. It's only when it starts to want to break out and spread that it becomes a monster. I'm talking about nationalism, republicanism, patriotism, facism. communism, etc etc. It all leads to one thing - an empirialistic ideal. No good comes of that, as you always invariably have to p*ss on someone elses cornflakes. Alas, it's the way of the  world as history tells it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:41 pm

After saying what I said earlier, I would just like to point out, that when Liverpool reaches a European cup final or wins the damn thing. There not doing it for England but for Liverpool. I wouldnt expect St.George flags at there matches, and i wouldnt expect any other English team to do it. Liverpool do represent England in Europe, like Manu and Chelsea do, but their not doing it for England, just Liverpool fc and Liverpool fc only.

And the debate about whether Gerrard should play for England under injections is bollox too. Gerrard IMO shouldnt play for England like that, but obviously he's a very proud Englishman and still wants too. But as a Liverpool fan I wouldnt want him too, its not worth the risk as he is our most important player, and one that is paid by LFC.

But the "we're not English Scouse thing" I just cant get my head around, perhaps as I'm not a Scouser I wouldnt know, and I suppose if I grew up there brainwashed by this I'd be on the other side of the fence, but in that sense I'm not and glad I'm not, its the same as the Catholics and protestants in N.Ireland, young kids growing following on from what there parents and there parents parents have done, and lost or couldnt tell you the real meaning behind their differences. Obviously the Scouse thing isnt as big politically but similar in principal. but I wonder what Evertonians thnk. All in all though I do think its bollox the Scouse separatism is bollox and stupid.

I have read many times how Scousers think there not thought of from the rest of the country. As Jon Doe said. I dont know what they want as a city and people from the rest of the land to be fair. Do they want to be singled out from having such a great football team ? Do they want to be put on a pedastal because the beetles cam from there ? Do they want to be recognised as being a great part of the industrial revolution ?
Do they crave the limelight as one of Englands best dockyards of yesteryear ? Do they want to be recognised as the multicultural city the took alot of Irish in during the potatoe famine ? What is it tell me. News flash people, many other cities in the UK have done their bit in the past for one thing or another most have played important roles for various reasons. Yet Scousers still say England couldnt give a f.uck, what is it attention seeking their after, I really dont know. And I also think its the Scousers themselves who make the bigger deal of all this 'special city, special people' etc stuff. Remember its them who have isolated themselves from the "rest" of the land not the other way round, then bitch about supposedly not being in the limelight on the back of the newspaper or whatever.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:48 pm

The "We're Not English, We're Scouse" thing I don't believe relates to seperatism and nationalism.

But rather it's motivated by the feeling that Liverpool FC takes priority above the England national team.

Club before country.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:00 am

Igor Zidane wrote:

and then it becomes, we're Huytonians, better than Toxtethians etc. etc. etc. Its all rather immature, and has no goal, just a self satisfying comment, and imho embarrassing.

I get it that nobody would want to cheer on Neville, but at the same time how can you not want SG to succeed, when every other week you do?

I haven't been behind England properly since 1998, since then the way the names are picked, they way the team is structured around Beckham/ Lampard, is a joke (both very average Players). Its not an anti England thing but more anti the structure.

Ade's point i believe was that it is a divisive 'campaign' and alienating towards newer fans attracted to our Club. It is hardly welcoming, is it?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Lee2k6 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:06 am

well goin from personal experience the majority of English cities out there do tend to show hatred towards scousers.

they brand us all as thieves and believe we all live in slums so is it any wonder why a lot of people on here have lost their patriotism, we don't need the rest of our country turning their noses up at us.

say what you like but i'm Liverpool born and proud... i'm England born and couldn't give two fu.cks.
Lee2k6

Postby redtrader74 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:14 am

Lee2k6 wrote:well goin from personal experience the majority of English cities out there do tend to show hatred towards scousers.

they brand us all as thieves and believe we all live in slums so is it any wonder why a lot of people on here have lost their patriotism, we don't need the rest of our country turning their noses up at us.

say what you like but i'm Liverpool born and proud... i'm England born and couldn't give two fu.cks.

remove the chip mate, all Cities have their fair share of stereotypes, Brummies are thick, Norwich is full of webbed feet as they are inbred, the mancs are....well mancs, Cardiffs full of sheep :censored:, Londoners are all spivs and chavs.

In my experience Scousers are well liked, far more so than other places, it may just be in football circles that you hear the chants about Liverpool, but i doubt you sit there quietly, just think about what you say back...
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:14 am

well goin from personal experience the majority of English cities out there do tend to show hatred towards scousers.

they brand us all as thieves and believe we all live in slums so is it any wonder why a lot of people on here have lost their patriotism, we don't need the rest of our country turning their noses up at us

Rivalrey between Cities is the norm though isnt it mate, we all think Brumies are dumb, Newcastle lass's are fat, Bristol people are carrot crunches, Londoners "southern fairies" and snobs, all thats tongue in cheak really its not hatred atall, we not from my point. Carry on pittying youreslf, you'll get nowhere in life though.

The first part of that is very nice, and I agree you should be proud, as for the second part thats your own chip on the shoulder not mine.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion