THE TAKEOVER THREAD - LIVERPOOL SOLD

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:44 pm

What's everyone's view of Gillet considering selling the naming rights of the stadium?

Glad to finally hear we've had investment, this whole things went on for too long, hopefully it'll be a successful era with these guys  :)
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:48 pm

What does everyone think about Gillett considering selling the naming rights of the new stadium?

Glad to know everything's finally sorted, this saga had went on long enough. Looking forward to what will hopefully be a successful era with the Yanks   :)
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby DAV » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:50 pm

First of all i'm pleased this take over business is resolved and hope it all works out for us.
Time will tell.
I have read all the posts on this subject, if some of you read back, you will see how you contradict everything you said in the past.
I ask you people, do you have your own opinions or just that what is in the newspapers and on TV.
DIC were the bee's on EEE's.the yanks were a no go.
and now that DIC have pulled out of the deal they are suddenley scum. And the Yanks are top blokes.
I to be honest wanted DIC but i wasnt at the meeting where it was discussed. Or with the Yanks. So have not commented on this matter. I also do not no the in's and out's of either offer.
So i ask you, why now are the yanks great and DIC scum.
Were you people at these meetings or somthing?
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:51 pm

It doesn't matter a damn to me. It will be New Anfield for a while and then known as Anfield no matter what the "official" name might be.
account deleted by request

Postby dammahom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan (and I kinda like liverpool too) and I was reading through this entire thread. You guys are basically reacting the same way we did 6 years ago.

Gillett took over here a while ago and he really wasn't welcomed for various reasons:
1-He was American (anti-Americanism is extremely popular in francophone Montreal).
2-He had no proper experience.
3-The Canadiens are the most successful hockey franchise in the world, and the last thing we fans wanted to see was a no-name takeover the club.

However, Gillett has really managed to silence his critics. Over the years he has given direction to a team that has been struggling for over a decade and for the first time in 13 years, the team is beginning to look like a Cup contender (or atleast in the process of becoming one).

He knows to keep his nose out of club affairs (does not meddle "a la Abramovich style"). He makes sure the fans are satisfied with their product (cause after all, we're paying for it). And he has a good habit of surrounding himself with really capable, knowledgeable people.

So give the guy a chance. Maybe, like us, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ps: in response to D-zed who posted last page: Gillet has owned this team for only 6 years. He took over in 2000, and this team was TERRIBLE. Their future looked terrible as well. Gillett took over and brought in the best scouts, medical staff, coaches, managers... And within 6 years, he has managed to get this team back on the right path.

As for Tom Hicks, he owns the Dallas stars which have been EXTREMELY successful in the last decade.

So I don't know where you get the impressions that their respective teams have been doing bad under their ownership.
Last edited by dammahom on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dammahom

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:58 pm

"It doesn't matter a damn to me. It will be New Anfield for a while and then known as Anfield no matter what the "official" name might be."

Love it. I'll second that  :D
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Ciggy wrote:it could all go pear shaped in a few years but if that does happen I am sure there will be a life long red willing to step in if that does happen.

If I win the lottery, I'll come to the rescue. :D

Just got in from work and I'm watching the interviews on LFC.tv now.  Haven't seen a peep all day, I actually work when I'm in work these days unfortunately.

:veryangry

My brother said that they made all of the right noises though.  :buttrock
jonnymac1979

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:08 pm

DZed wrote:I'm also skeptical because I've lived in the States for the last 9 years and the teams they own are looked upon as the Boltons, Tottenhams, Newcastles of their respective leagues.

Yer, great comparisons. :laugh:  Gillett's Montreal Canadiens have won the Stanley Cup 24 times in their history, more than any team in the league.  Just like Bolton, Newcastle or Spurs.  Hicks's Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999 and have been one of the league's best teams for going on a decade.  Definitely the Bolton/Newcastle/Spurs of the NHL, they are! WTF?  ???

(But, you are right about Hicks's Texas Rangers baseball team, though...they do tend to make up the numbers Bolton/Newcastle/Spurs style.  So, 1 out of 3 there lad. :D)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:09 pm

For those that missed the press conference, Hicks said that he had been involved in 30 Stadium projects previously, and that "his designers were already looking at the plans to see what they could do to improve it".....

:)
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 pm

dammahom wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan (and I kinda like liverpool too) and I was reading through this entire thread. You guys are basically reacting the same way we did 6 years ago.

Gillett took over here a while ago and he really wasn't welcomed for various reasons:
1-He was American (anti-Americanism is extremely popular in francophone Montreal).
3-The Canadiens are the most successful hockey franchise in the world, and the last thing we fans wanted to see was a no-name takeover the club.

However, Gillett has really managed to silence his critics. Over the years he has given direction to a team that has been struggling for over a decade and for the first time in 13 years, the team is beginning to look like a Cup contender (or atleast in the process of becoming one).

He knows to keep his nose out of club affairs (does not meddle "a la Abramovich style"). He makes sure the fans are satisfied with their product (cause after all, we're paying for it). And he has a good habit of surrounding himself with really capable, knowledgeable people.

ps: in response to D-zed who posted last page: Gillet has owned this team for only 6 years. He took over in 2000, and this team was TERRIBLE. Their future looked terrible as well. Gillett took over and brought in the best scouts, medical staff, coaches, managers... And within 6 years, he has managed to get this team back on the right path.

As for Tom Hicks, he owns the Dallas stars which have been EXTREMELY successful in the last decade.

So I don't know where you get the impressions that their respective teams have been doing bad under their ownership.

Cheers, fella.  I've been saying the same things on here for the past week but one voice in the wilderness doesn't always resonate.  Thanks for giving us the inside scoop on Gillett from a true Habs fan!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pedro Maradona » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:
ive sent mine in the post today

I hate being negative but i hate those american tw*ts already......they dont give a fiddlers sh!t about LFC.....wait and see I hope the  rot......

I hope you are joking.

Because the last thing this club needs are idiots like you supporting them.

:censored: u and ur stupid jokes u knobead
Pedro Maradona

Postby PabloAimar » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:56 pm

i hope they introduce sexy cheerleeders
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby CarlosRocks » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:58 pm

PabloAimar wrote:i hope they introduce sexy cheerleeders

amen to that....  :bowdown
CarlosRocks

Postby Pedro Maradona » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:59 pm

I love supporting the greatest franchise on earth.....
Pedro Maradona

Postby DZed » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:18 pm

dammahom wrote:Hey guys,

Let me clarify my point. Montreal Canadiens are a lot like Liverpool in respect to thier glorious history and many championships. However, since 1992, the Canadiens have not won the Stanley Cup. This is similar to Liverpool's inability to win the league since 1990. Gillett has been owner of the Canadiens since 2000 yet still they finish 4th and 5th in league standings as they were prior to his ownership. While he may have improved certain things, there is still no Stanley Cup. I certainly do not want to wait 6+ years for our Premiership title. I do want apologize for comparing the Canadiens to such average teams as their past clearly shows they are one of the best, if not the best. But in the past 15 years they have been underachieving in the league, like Liverpool. Their average overall finish of 4th place has relatively been the same since Gillett took over.
DZed

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion