The squad. - How good is it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:25 pm

if we can somehow manage to get rid of Mascherano and bring in an attacking midfielder or a second striker or whatever you want to call it to play 'the gerrard role' for around the same amount of money then i think that would be a good piece of business... would be even better if its a player with alot of creativity but could also play through the middle alongside Alonso... A fabregas, Pirlo, Xavi type of player..

I think the 2 in the middle (Alonso, Mascherano) as a pairing are a part of our attacking problems..

Nothing urgent about what im saying up here but if it doesnt cost us anything then i well and truely think that it could very well improve the look of the side when going forward
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Ace, we cannot AFFORD to lose a quality player like Mascherano when we are competing in so many fronts.

Look how we paid when Torres was injured  and we had not depth in quality to answer that situation.

Imagine Alonso gets broken some toes again, this kind of things happen in football, what do you do? play Plessis? we have to play a lot of games, people expect as much as a league title to set the success or failure, we simply can't think of losing Mascha.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Joe Cole, Schweinsteiger, Cazorla, Maxi Rodriguez. Can we afford any of them?

why not... FACTS state that we'v spent more than most of the other clubs around in world football in recent times... surely if WE cant afford to pay top buck for top player then such players might aswell stick around in their respective clubs for good...

not to sound retetitive or anything but how much was it that we spent already this season ? last season ? the one before ?

yea thats what i thought too... less players, more quality please.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:35 pm

bigmick wrote:Well I think if we spent big ona  Van Persie, yes he might be on the bench a bit. that said, if we wanted to replace Kuyt with Gerrard occasionally (which I must admit I do nearly always to tell the truth), van persie could fill in for Gerrard and Bob's your uncle. Similarly, if Gerrard was injured/supended/rotated he could fill in as second striker/attacking midfielder, and the same with Torres if he was out.

I just think that if we have serious aspirations to be a top team we absolutely have to have at the very least one top class striker in reserve, in case Torres or Gerrard get injured. I know Kuyt annoys the erse off people (me included) but I really don't think that's our most pressing issue. Just my take anyway.

Whatever and wherever, I think after five years of the rafalution there are too many pressing issuea to be totally comfortable. That was the point of the thread starter.

Mick VanPersie would certainly tick a whole lot of boxes for me too.. for starters id start him down the right ahead of Kuyt every day of the week if it came down to a choice of the two... so there ya go problem solved...  :nod
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:37 pm

aCe' wrote:if we can somehow manage to get rid of Mascherano and bring in an attacking midfielder or a second striker or whatever you want to call it to play 'the gerrard role' for around the same amount of money then i think that would be a good piece of business... would be even better if its a player with alot of creativity but could also play through the middle alongside Alonso... A fabregas, Pirlo, Xavi type of player..

I think the 2 in the middle (Alonso, Mascherano) as a pairing are a part of our attacking problems..

Nothing urgent about what im saying up here but if it doesnt cost us anything then i well and truely think that it could very well improve the look of the side when going forward

Diego. Lucho Gonzalez? Aquilani?
JoeTerp

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:39 pm

Sabre wrote:Ace, we cannot AFFORD to lose a quality player like Mascherano when we are competing in so many fronts.

Look how we paid when Torres was injured  and we had not depth in quality to answer that situation.

Imagine Alonso gets broken some toes again, this kind of things happen in football, what do you do? play Plessis? we have to play a lot of games, people expect as much as a league title to set the success or failure, we simply can't think of losing Mascha.

Sabre im not sure if you have read my post or not but my suggestion was to bring in another midfielder to replace him... if not a player in the same position then a player who would play in Gerrard's position with the  latter moving to his favoured central midfield position alongside Alonso...

My problem with the current pairing is that more often than not their contribution to our attacking play seems to be lacking... certainly in terms of goals, assists, even mere presence in dangerous position they both offer pretty much nothing COMBINED.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Yes you can be sure I've read your post. But, if you want another kind of midfielder in the squad, why don't you just simply think of selling Lucas and trying out another midfielder?

I didn't want to lose Alonso over Barry last season, I don't want to lose Mascherano over anybody this season.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:46 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
aCe' wrote:if we can somehow manage to get rid of Mascherano and bring in an attacking midfielder or a second striker or whatever you want to call it to play 'the gerrard role' for around the same amount of money then i think that would be a good piece of business... would be even better if its a player with alot of creativity but could also play through the middle alongside Alonso... A fabregas, Pirlo, Xavi type of player..

Diego. Lucho Gonzalez? Aquilani?

Aquilani is a good shout.. not so sure about Lucho (more of a hard worker than anything if im not wrong) and not a big fan of Diego either (plays this funny role that i think is better suited for sides with many flair players with great movement off the ball)...

But u get where im going at i guess.. Perotta, Scholes, Carrick sort of player...

:idea

got a great shout but not sure its much of a long term thing... read somwhere that Seedorf is interested in playing in England at some point... surely he'd be a great addition and would cost peanuts.... quality quality player
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Replacing masher with pirlo is one move that wouldnt work - pirlo needs lots of space to do his passing - crowd him out and he becaomes totally ineffective - xabi does his role but better . Xavi on the other hand would be perfect but we and any other team would never get him . Your right we do need an attacking midfielder but not a deep lying one - we nee one to play in the gap between gerrard and torres - a silva , diego - someone like that who can unlock defences and play that killer pass .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Perrota is a decent shout - Aquilani seems to flatter to decieve - decent against small teams but on the big tage just seems to fade away  in the background . Lucho is decent but as you say more of a runner and seedorf while great is 32  nearly 33 now .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:54 pm

Sabre wrote:Yes you can be sure I've read your post. But, if you want another kind of midfielder in the squad, why don't you just simply think of selling Lucas and trying out another midfielder?

I didn't want to lose Alonso over Barry last season, I don't want to lose Mascherano over anybody this season.

what would we get for Lucas though ?

Dont get me wrong mate im a big Mascherano fan and i think hes one of the best in the world in what he does... he'd be massive for a side like realmadrid or Barcelona but given the way we play and the players we currently have i dont think we need him in 9 out of every 10 games we play in the league.. He is limited as a player when on the ball and given the way we play i really think that we can do with more players who can actually produce something with the ball at their feet rather than more possession with little to show for when it comes to end product... and again...for all his qualities (vastly overrated if im to be brutally honest here) i think we'd be better off or rather more balanced if we had a slightly better footballer playing in that area of the pitch.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:56 pm

I disagree with getting rid of Masherano and we would be getting someone like Barry not Xavi.

We seldom have a problem in the center of the park. It's always width and always has been width under Rafa. Someone that can play on the right, act as cover for the left and fill in for Gerrard when unavailable. A player who is creative and can cross that is of a much better quality than Benayoun. An Ashavin, Silva or Tevez type would be perfect.

Getting this type of player I think could allow us to sell Babel and Benayoun which I think could net us 15-18m. Combine that with the money spent on Keane and we have enough to find someone of quality, the wage room available and probably even enough to get a decent striker enough striker to sit on the bench as well.
DanAn

Postby GYBS » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:57 pm

Masher has a lot more quality  on the ball than people give him credit for - he is a very good passer and you only have to watch argentina play to see that - everything goes through him and Gago does his clearing for  him. But in our team Xabi and Gerrard are better passing so masher does the donkey work but in the last game against pomper mashers passing was spot on and he switched the play a lot duriing that game
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 pm

Spot on that GYBS.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Do you know what i read somewhere the other day it was in another forum i think an someone asked the question ill go an find it an post back :p
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion