The season: 05/06 - A personal reflection

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:08 pm

How do you top that? How can you better winning the most coveted trophy in club football with one of the most astounding campaigns in history culminating with what has to be the greatest match EVER? Well, the short answer is: You can't. Even if we'd won the premiership this year, I doubt it would have knocked that night off the top spot. But the thing about football is, it's always moving on and just as the world turns, the leagues and cups come round again and again. After 25.05.05, which was almost a year ago (which is a sobering thought for those of us longing for a portrait in our attics), will be forever remembered, but as this season draws to a close, I thought I'd remember the not so distant future and commit it to posterity here.

The summer is lost in the haze created by too many beer drenched BBQs and late, warm nights. Not that summer lasted long for the Mighty Reds who had to ditch their tour of Japan to start qualification proceedings for the next Champion's League campaign due to a dissapointing 5th place in the previous Premiership. Wrexham, Leverkusen and maybe one or two more friendlies surrounded games in the first round against TNS (famous for the line "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions") who provided little more than token opposition for us as we marched univentfully to the groups, while Everton couldn't get past Villareal, which lended a certain edge of gold to our qualification (though images of Tim Cahill on the opening of SSN bulletins still hurt).

But before all of this, we had the usual transfer rubbish which could quite easily occupy a couple of hours and several thousand words, so I'll cut this bit down to size and try to be as concise as possible. Dudek's heroics in against Milan in the European Cup final looked to be his last actions for the club, just as it had for Baros and Smicer who had already sought out pastures new. Jose "Pepe" Reina was introduced and he came with an excellent reputation, as did Momo Sissoko who had been one of Benitez's long-term projects.

We all wanted three things in the summer. A striker, a right sided winger and some cover for Sami and Jamie at the back. Michael Owen was lost and unwanted at Madrid and it seemed certain that he would do a Rush and come home. And he did. For an hour. And then he went to Newcastle. We were left licking our wounds and questioning Rafa's ideas, especially after he had brought in the one man freak show that is Peter Crouch. Crouch cost £7million and it appeared that Rafa was doing a Houllier and spending too much money on strange choice. We would have to wait a while to get a first glimpse of him, though not as long as the wait to see Mark Gonzales who wasn't allowed to play for us, even though he'd signed. Crazy.

A right winger never came due to Rafa's refusal to be conned out of big cash by Benfica over Simao. And the cover for our centre-halves never came, which meant another season with the often donkey-esq Djimi Traore. And thus the season began.

The decision not to sign Michael Owen immediatly looked a poor one, as for several league games, we just couldn't score. We weren't conceding, but we weren't scoring and that meant the difference between 3 points and 1. Not the best start to the season, which was compounded when Chelsea turned up and after trying to rob Gerrard from us in the summer (I think I blanked that whole scenario from my memory. Can you blame me?) they thumped us 4-1 at Anfield. That hurt. But the less I talk about Chelsea, the better I feel.

By this time we had started to win a couple and a draw against Man Utd was adequate. We'd also embarked on another European campaign, drawing Anderlecht, Betis and, much to everyone's annoyance, Chelsea, who we drew with twice and qualified above.

Domestically, things had gone from OK to good and even really good at times. We didn't lose in 17 games, most of which were wins. Crouch had broken his duck and although the strikers weren't firing on all cilinders, Gerrard et al were chipping in and we kept about 9 clean sheets (if memory serves) in a row. We got cheated out of the World Club Championship, having suspiciously won the European Super Cup ourselves and the trip to Japan didn't seem to disturb our flow.

Our league cup didn't go to plan which was probably a blessing in disguise due to the number of games we were having to play and Christmas brought on the usual rush of fixtures.

Despite Alonso scoring one of the goals of the season with a 65ft effort against Luton, the new year brought the inevitable blip after a good January. We recorded a handful of losses, most painful of which for me were the flukey one against Man Utd and a weak performance against Benfica in the Champions League. Our reign was as good as over, and to make matters worse, Momo Sissoko, who was proving to be a diamond in the rough with the potential to become a shining light in the football world, suffered a career threatening eye injury. Our injury bad luck from the previous season seemed to be returning, and thank heaven Momo's injury was not as bad as first thought and I was so releaved to see him return, even if he did look like a bald Edgar Davids.

But January saw some new arrivals too in the forms of Jan Kromkamp, who replaced the largely disappointing Josemi, and Danny Agger who was the bright young star of Danish football. What's more, Rafa's decission not to sign Owen was vindicated when the striker suffered a bad injury against Spurs, though Bolo Zenden was in an even worse situation.

We notched up some good wins and were leaving Arsenal and Tottenham in the dust as we climbed the table. We even knocked Man Utd out of "their cup" which was very sweet after their dodgy win over us in the league.

Since then, not much has really gone on in our league campaign, being secure in the CL spots for so long and all. And we had to sit and watch as Arsenal and the others fought it out over our European crown. But the FA cup has proved to be this years hope, and having knocked out Fergie's boys, Moureen's lot fell in spectacular fashion so that we now await a final showdown with the Hammers.

So, as agreed at the top of this retrospective, nothing other than a treble was ever going to top last year, but how has this year faired? Not bad. Good in fact. Ok, we are still off the pace in the league, but the gap is halved on last season and we have started to win those games that can prove tricky. We need more strike power and a right winger, though as usual Stevie has stepped in and done brilliantly, and Crouch has proved a revelation up top who is crying out for a twenty-a-season man to play alongside. We've kept more clean sheets than everyone else and look completely solid throughout the side, we just NEED a goalscorer who can take itto the top sides.

The FA cup is there to be won and we are favourites (though so were Milan) so we must take care and do the job properly. And though I know I'll be, to say the least, upset if we lose it, but in the grand scheme of things, even without silverware we have got better and this season is an improvement on the last. Rafa's really got a feeling for the English game now and next season is looking bright. Can No.19 be too far away? Things are looking up.

p.s. please excuse spelling error, but i've been gawping at this screen for about 5 days now and I only see in 2D now!         :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:20 pm

Someones got far to much time on there hands.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed May 03, 2006 9:47 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:How do you top that? How can you better winning the most coveted trophy in club football with one of the most astounding campaigns in history culminating with what has to be the greatest match EVER? Well, the short answer is: You can't. Even if we'd won the premiership this year, I doubt it would have knocked that night off the top spot. But the thing about football is, it's always moving on and just as the world turns, the leagues and cups come round again and again. After 25.05.05, which was almost a year ago (which is a sobering thought for those of us longing for a portrait in our attics), will be forever remembered, but as this season draws to a close, I thought I'd remember the not so distant future and commit it to posterity here.

The summer is lost in the haze created by too many beer drenched BBQs and late, warm nights. Not that summer lasted long for the Mighty Reds who had to ditch their tour of Japan to start qualification proceedings for the next Champion's League campaign due to a dissapointing 5th place in the previous Premiership. Wrexham, Leverkusen and maybe one or two more friendlies surrounded games in the first round against TNS (famous for the line "They'll be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions") who provided little more than token opposition for us as we marched univentfully to the groups, while Everton couldn't get past Villareal, which lended a certain edge of gold to our qualification (though images of Tim Cahill on the opening of SSN bulletins still hurt).

But before all of this, we had the usual transfer rubbish which could quite easily occupy a couple of hours and several thousand words, so I'll cut this bit down to size and try to be as concise as possible. Dudek's heroics in against Milan in the European Cup final looked to be his last actions for the club, just as it had for Baros and Smicer who had already sought out pastures new. Jose "Pepe" Reina was introduced and he came with an excellent reputation, as did Momo Sissoko who had been one of Benitez's long-term projects.

We all wanted three things in the summer. A striker, a right sided winger and some cover for Sami and Jamie at the back. Michael Owen was lost and unwanted at Madrid and it seemed certain that he would do a Rush and come home. And he did. For an hour. And then he went to Newcastle. We were left licking our wounds and questioning Rafa's ideas, especially after he had brought in the one man freak show that is Peter Crouch. Crouch cost £7million and it appeared that Rafa was doing a Houllier and spending too much money on strange choice. We would have to wait a while to get a first glimpse of him, though not as long as the wait to see Mark Gonzales who wasn't allowed to play for us, even though he'd signed. Crazy.

A right winger never came due to Rafa's refusal to be conned out of big cash by Benfica over Simao. And the cover for our centre-halves never came, which meant another season with the often donkey-esq Djimi Traore. And thus the season began.

The decision not to sign Michael Owen immediatly looked a poor one, as for several league games, we just couldn't score. We weren't conceding, but we weren't scoring and that meant the difference between 3 points and 1. Not the best start to the season, which was compounded when Chelsea turned up and after trying to rob Gerrard from us in the summer (I think I blanked that whole scenario from my memory. Can you blame me?) they thumped us 4-1 at Anfield. That hurt. But the less I talk about Chelsea, the better I feel.

By this time we had started to win a couple and a draw against Man Utd was adequate. We'd also embarked on another European campaign, drawing Anderlecht, Betis and, much to everyone's annoyance, Chelsea, who we drew with twice and qualified above.

Domestically, things had gone from OK to good and even really good at times. We didn't lose in 17 games, most of which were wins. Crouch had broken his duck and although the strikers weren't firing on all cilinders, Gerrard et al were chipping in and we kept about 9 clean sheets (if memory serves) in a row. We got cheated out of the World Club Championship, having suspiciously won the European Super Cup ourselves and the trip to Japan didn't seem to disturb our flow.

Our league cup didn't go to plan which was probably a blessing in disguise due to the number of games we were having to play and Christmas brought on the usual rush of fixtures.

Despite Alonso scoring one of the goals of the season with a 65ft effort against Luton, the new year brought the inevitable blip after a good January. We recorded a handful of losses, most painful of which for me were the flukey one against Man Utd and a weak performance against Benfica in the Champions League. Our reign was as good as over, and to make matters worse, Momo Sissoko, who was proving to be a diamond in the rough with the potential to become a shining light in the football world, suffered a career threatening eye injury. Our injury bad luck from the previous season seemed to be returning, and thank heaven Momo's injury was not as bad as first thought and I was so releaved to see him return, even if he did look like a bald Edgar Davids.

But January saw some new arrivals too in the forms of Jan Kromkamp, who replaced the largely disappointing Josemi, and Danny Agger who was the bright young star of Danish football. What's more, Rafa's decission not to sign Owen was vindicated when the striker suffered a bad injury against Spurs, though Bolo Zenden was in an even worse situation.

We notched up some good wins and were leaving Arsenal and Tottenham in the dust as we climbed the table. We even knocked Man Utd out of "their cup" which was very sweet after their dodgy win over us in the league.

Since then, not much has really gone on in our league campaign, being secure in the CL spots for so long and all. And we had to sit and watch as Arsenal and the others fought it out over our European crown. But the FA cup has proved to be this years hope, and having knocked out Fergie's boys, Moureen's lot fell in spectacular fashion so that we now await a final showdown with the Hammers.

So, as agreed at the top of this retrospective, nothing other than a treble was ever going to top last year, but how has this year faired? Not bad. Good in fact. Ok, we are still off the pace in the league, but the gap is halved on last season and we have started to win those games that can prove tricky. We need more strike power and a right winger, though as usual Stevie has stepped in and done brilliantly, and Crouch has proved a revelation up top who is crying out for a twenty-a-season man to play alongside. We've kept more clean sheets than everyone else and look completely solid throughout the side, we just NEED a goalscorer who can take itto the top sides.

The FA cup is there to be won and we are favourites (though so were Milan) so we must take care and do the job properly. And though I know I'll be, to say the least, upset if we lose it, but in the grand scheme of things, even without silverware we have got better and this season is an improvement on the last. Rafa's really got a feeling for the English game now and next season is looking bright. Can No.19 be too far away? Things are looking up.

p.s. please excuse spelling error, but i've been gawping at this screen for about 5 days now and I only see in 2D now!         :D

excellent post.

this season, whilst maybe not as dramatic as last, has been a great step forward for all concerned. i never expected a title challenge this season but if we obtain 82 points it will be a remarkable achievement.

cardiff a week on saturday will be the icing on the cake.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GunGod » Wed May 03, 2006 9:59 pm

murphy0151 wrote:Someones got far to much time on there hands.

Geez mate, Ace spent some real good time penning his personal thoughts and inviting discussion (which is what a FORUM is meant for) and that's all you've got to offer?

Ace, totally agree with you on the need for a striker. But whether even winning the championship this season would not beat THAT night...hmm... probably not!   :D
GunGod

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself, GunGod.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Wed May 03, 2006 10:31 pm

Great post, this season may not have come close to the CL win last season but we have shown some terrific progress domestically in securing 3rd, maybe even 2nd and gettin 79 points, possibly 82. last season our domestic run was awful, 5th place and probably over 20 points less accumulated. And we even have an FA cup final to add to that. We've showed a hell of a lot of improvement and with the right players brought in, 2 class strikers, class RW, gonzalez, paletta etc. then i can see us challenging chelsea next year
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Way to step up Ace...this is the kind of thing we need more of on this board (and disregard the wisecracks)...

You've certainly covered the ground nicely on a season that was never going to hit the same dizzying heights of Istanbul but, thankfully, has spared us the terrible lows of Burnley!  Last year's campaign was like one of those rollercoaster rides that you're definitely glad you took in hindsight but aren't in any rush to repeat (Istanbul aside): the fookin' inconsistency from week to week (or half to half) last season simply did my head in.  Not to mention finishing behind the bitters in the league...that stung a bit.  :no

A couple of minor quibbles:

1) No mention of Robbie among the January recruits?  For shame, lad! :D

2) IMO, the trip to Japan did take its toll but not until late January and into February, after the franetic pace of the holiday schedule died down.  I wonder if that trip didn't cost us 2nd place at least (presuming we don't end up in 2nd after this weekend, of course!)

My sense is that Rafa's got things well sorted now and with (say it with me) the last few pieces of the puzzle hopefully falling into place this summer, we've every right to expect a title challenge next season given the CONSISTENCY and potential for excellence we've shown this season.

Which leads to a key question: how will we all react if things don't go according to plan next season?  Rafa is certainly the man at the moment but will fans be quick to turn on him if we don't manage to mount a sustained title challenge next year? 

Many people, I know, have drawn parallels between our present situation and the situation under Houllier just prior to the last World Cup.  In hindsight, the rot started the following season (or that summer if you blame his transfers) and continued until he was sacked. 

Since I only really started supporting Liverpool following that World Cup*, I had no sense of the vibe surrounding the club coming off the Treble and the 2nd-placed finish.  For those who have followed the club longer than I, how would you compare the optimism then to the optimism now?  And, perhaps more importantly, is there any danger of a repeat?

My feeling is that Rafa is far more astute than Houllier was and won't make the same sorts of mistakes.  Having said that, the bar's definitely been raised in the league the past few seasons (given that our current points total has been good enough to win the league in recent memory) and there's very little margin for error.  Should things fail to click next season, I expect to see a number of fans voice their disgruntlement.  I hope it doesn't play out like that but the debates on here will get very interesting if it does.

*Before Mark23 has a go at me for being a allegiance-shifting glory-hunter let me say that I did not support any team prior to the last WC, primarily because football was not widely reported on/televised in Canada back then beyond the major international tournaments (there's more coverage now).  As such, I didn't start following club football until Fall of 2002.  Thankfully, Liverpool games have a decent chance of being shown on the weekly "Soccer Saturday" (ugggh!) broadcasts here so I can still follow the team and then, of course, there's the internet to bone up on club history and gain insights from knowledgeable fans such as you folks!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:07 pm

DAMN IT! I forgot God! I even specifically noted that one. I guess it's been a busier season than it appeared to be on first inspection. That was amazing though. I remember my cousin phoning me and shouting "God's back" but I thought he was taking the p155. When I saw it on SSN, i was so happy.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 pm

Excellent thread lads.

This season has gone beyond my expectations. Rafa and the boys have done a great job. Liverpool are now like the Liverpool of old - a well oiled machine that plays with the confidence that they can beat anyone and everyone. I commented on a previous post that, unlike in previous seasons, I go into every game convinced that we can win it.

For me personally the 2 single most important things to happen in 05/06 (outwith the obvious - CL, 3rd place and maybe 2nd) is Gerrards decision to stay and Robbie returning to Anfield.

Good luck next week lads. That would cap off a great season of progress. :)
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Garymac » Wed May 03, 2006 11:32 pm

Good Stuff Ace.

Like has been said before we have got exactly what i thought we would do and even more, we have closed the gap on chelsea by at least half and treating the FA Cup with a bit more respect and having a good cup run since the last time we won it, Odd thing is, its a long time since we went into a cup final as Favourites, For once it looks on paper as iff the hard work has been done.

In cups we have been better when being the underdogs but this year we have sweeped the top teams away and put the tricky games to bed, Luton Brum and Pompey away are all ties which, in honesty, had me thinking "Shock". But no, there has been edgey moments, which in other seasons probably would have saw us go out, but under Rafa we have an extra steel and edge about us, and we look like a team who just dont know how to lose at the moment.

Gerrard just needs to remind the lads what it was like last season walking off the pitch at Cardiff after getting beat by Chelsea and see if the boys fancy doing that all over again. And that was the league cup, imagine the FA?

read Tomkins before and some of the points he made was astounding, a 43 point swing between us and Arsenal form last season, we have closed the gap on Chelsea by at least 22 points, 79 Points any other premiership season would garentee you 2nd and automatic qualification for the champions league.

So yes, this season has been a resounding success and we got everything and more i think and in my opinion for Summer 2006, look up Summer 2002 and what happened with Houllier, difference this time being rafa has took us 2 years to get us to that position, Houllier took 4, and if Rafa gets the same backing, well great things may just lie ahead......Although the last 24 months aint been to shabby!!!!

P.S My writing is Sh!te and i cant be as$ed checking it!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby GunGod » Wed May 03, 2006 11:48 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I had no sense of the vibe surrounding the club coming off the Treble and the 2nd-placed finish... how would you compare the optimism then to the optimism now?  And, perhaps more importantly, is there any danger of a repeat?

I don't represent everyone but I would say that the optimism then (treble) perhaps equals what we are feeling now. And following the purchase of Kewell it really seemed like the jigsaw's complete. But we all know what happened in the end... a good beginning wasted by Houllier's ambitious buys in the market.

But Rafa spent a fraction of what Houllier did to get to this stage (though he inherited Houllier's squad). Rafa also seems to be more versatile - different line-up/formation for different games; changing form during the game etc - while Houllier was rather dry on ideas.

So I would say that we are not in danger of collapsing anytime soon.
GunGod

Postby Garymac » Wed May 03, 2006 11:55 pm

Bob id go to say it was probably higher because we was a lot closer that season when we finished 2nd, and we didnt have Chelsea then who could spend there trillions whenever they felt. So to honest all the ground work was done, it just needed a little tweaking, but what we got was a £20 Million pouns spanner in the works in the names of Cheyrou, Diao and Diouf.

Houllier messed up bigtime with 3 buys which completly ruined what he had achieved before that summer, everything that happened before was fu*ked cos of it, had he kept Anelka, things probably would have panned out differently, although in that case there is no garentee we would be european champions.

Fact is that now, we have a better team than back then, Only difference is, is the strike force, back then we had Owen and Anelka for a few months, Imagine that now, with Gerrard, Momo, Alonso, Kewell, Gonzlaez and the others who will come in, it is a frightening thought.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu May 04, 2006 12:08 am

I could have been out in the moon all this year, after reading that post I'd be updated. Excellent post.

Which leads to a key question: how will we all react if things don't go according to plan next season?  Rafa is certainly the man at the moment but will fans be quick to turn on him if we don't manage to mount a sustained title challenge next year? 

That's an interesting question. You can better up your squad, you can do work properly, but still don't perform that well in the EPL. Playing the Champions league is very demanding, correct me if I'm wrong but the best runs of won games in the league have matched the periods in which we were not playing that competition...

The point is that might happen, we might had a season like Arsenal this year, and that wouldn't mean we haven't the proper manager. I'm pretty sure the we'll do outstandingly next year, but even if eerthing doesn't come out as expected, I'd still rely on Rafa for the long term.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu May 04, 2006 12:48 am

Really good thread - cracking post from Ace kicking it all off.

Here's what I think should happen next, to really set us up for a title challenge:

1) Offer Robbie a two-year contract prior to the Pompey game
2) Sell or pay off the contracts of all the no-hoper loaners (Cheyrou, Diao etc)
3) Transfer list Traore, Morientes, Cisse and Dudek
4) Sort out the Gonzalez situation once and for all
5) Bring in a sub-£5m signing for right mid (Pennant?)
6) Throw serious money at two prolific strikers (Kuyt? Robbie Keane? Yakubu?)

I've really enjoyed this season, and I'm supremely confident that we're going to be right up there by this time next year.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Rafa D » Thu May 04, 2006 6:18 am

Never ever lose Rafa even if we finish 5th!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion