The riera effect

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rafa09 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:54 pm

i want to start this post because i think this fella has had a profound effect on our form this season.He has given us so much width,but mainly he,s not afraid to take on the opponents and beat them.Also he can put in really good crosses. What a bargain for 8 million :D
rafa09

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:01 am

rafa09 wrote:i want to start this post because i think this fella has had a profound effect on our form this season.He has given us so much width,but mainly he,s not afraid to take on the opponents and beat them.Also he can put in really good crosses. What a bargain for 8 million :D

he offers balance more than anything... his dribbling is great at times but i think he needs to get a little more involved  higher up the pitch .. crossing from dangerous positions, cutting back from byline, slipping forwards through..etc etc

Think we'r yet to see the best of him ...
imo he'll shine in a 4-4-2 with Torres upfront running at defenders and pulling fullbacks deeper inside..
Seems to relish having space and time on the ball...seems up to taking players on and again.. with enough targets to pick out inside the opposition area i think he'll be chipping in with many assists from the left flank...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rafa09 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 am

good post ACE
rafa09

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:46 am

What worries me about him (and it is the only real worry for me) is his fitness level. Very rarley does he complete 90mins. Im not sure if that is just Rafa tinkering like he does but it looks like he doesnt have much stamina.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:53 am

He loves to get into spaces
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 am

metalhead wrote:He loves to get into spaces

yea especially tight ones...
:lookaround  im just saying...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:58 am

aCe' wrote:

:D  :laugh:

seriously, everytime if there is space available on the pitch that would put him in a dangerous position to recieve a pass he attacks it.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 am

metalhead wrote:
aCe' wrote:

seriously, everytime if there is space available on the pitch that would put him in a dangerous position to recieve a pass he attacks it.

yea hes direct when he needs to be... like that about him...
Besides Gerrard and Torres hes the only player in a red jersey who does that...

Come to think about it Mascherano tries to do it sometimes but .. eh well... i'd rather he ddnt  :D

Pennant does it too down the right but ... eh well.. Rafa doesnt like him..

Babel does it sometimes but... eh well.. he lacks direction and ... a brain would help too

Agger does it sometimes.... dandy..

Point is.. he offers something different... and its not just one different thing, more like a package of different things.. Unlike benayoun, Babel, Pennant, Kuyt..etc etc

hahaha on a side note... MAN ARSENAL SUCKKK !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:54 am

aCe' wrote:
metalhead wrote:
aCe' wrote:

yea hes direct when he needs to be... like that about him...
Besides Gerrard and Torres hes the only player in a red jersey who does that...

Come to think about it Mascherano tries to do it sometimes but .. eh well... i'd rather he ddnt  :D

Pennant does it too down the right but ... eh well.. Rafa doesnt like him..

Babel does it sometimes but... eh well.. he lacks direction and ... a brain would help too

Agger does it sometimes.... dandy..

Point is.. he offers something different... and its not just one different thing, more like a package of different things.. Unlike benayoun, Babel, Pennant, Kuyt..etc etc

hahaha on a side note... MAN ARSENAL SUCKKK !

You talk some :censored:!!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BkogKAZGm_g
Totally Ordinary!! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 am

I wanted to discuss the Riera effect for a while.

In a comment in the rotation thread a fellow red commented a bit joking that this Riera must be very good if he's the reason to explain why we're top of the table (and not lack of rotation) :D

But I don't think Riera is a world class player, I think he's a good player, but I must admit he has adapted astonishingly well to the pressure of a big club, something, that not every good player is able to do.

Even if Riera is not a world class player, sometimes in a machinery that it isn't working, you just need a bit of oil or a tiny piece so that everything starts working. And that is what Riera and Keane in a less evident way have provided IMHO.

In fact, if there's something all newkit agreed in the past is that we needed to sort out that position. We can safely say that we have done so with Riera. Chuffed for the guy and the team.

As a dribbler Riera is simply good, nothing to feel awe about, but the lad tends to choose the right option much more often than anyone we had playing in that position. And as Scottbott quickly noticed, he knows to shield the ball well and it's difficult to steal him the ball without a foul.

Riera  :buttrock
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 am

The lad has been a total revelation in his so far short time at LFC!!Excellent and something we have never had in a very very long time.
Excellent on the ball,intelligent..my biggest appreciation is the fact that he can play it simple when needed or try something a little more daring at times.
He is an excellent and very mature minded simple type of footballer that will seldom do any wrong.Great signing...look at the Riera thread over summer,it highlights not LFC fans as a whole but newkit LFC fans and proves that people on here talk absolute SH'ITE,as does the KUYT thread....for different reasons of course!
People were asked to calm down,give Riera a chance,but NO..He was not what LFC needed,not used to the game,a waste of money...how fuc'king wrong?

Good..very good player with an even better brain that he seems to engage at just the right time on the grass..overall,excellent signing!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:26 am

Number 9 wrote:The lad has been a total revelation in his so far short time at LFC!!Excellent and something we have never had in a very very long time.
Excellent on the ball,intelligent..my biggest appreciation is the fact that he can play it simple when needed or try something a little more daring at times.
He is an excellent and very mature minded simple type of footballer that will seldom do any wrong.Great signing...look at the Riera thread over summer,it highlights not LFC fans as a whole but newkit LFC fans and proves that people on here talk absolute SH'ITE,as does the KUYT thread....for different reasons of course!
People were asked to calm down,give Riera a chance,but NO..He was not what LFC needed,not used to the game,a waste of money...how fuc'king wrong?

Good..very good player with an even better brain that he seems to engage at just the right time on the grass..overall,excellent signing!!

Its a shame because people look at the players of the past and what we have won and say "Hes not good enough!" and yet many of the players we signed in the past were not well known and yet more patience was shown and we reaped the rewards. Jan Molby an example !  More patience needs to be shown with regarding the players we sign present day, the biggest stars are those that emerge and adapt naturally through progression, not the name, as Shevchenko has proved.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:37 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Number 9 wrote:The lad has been a total revelation in his so far short time at LFC!!Excellent and something we have never had in a very very long time.

Its a shame because people look at the players of the past and what we have won and say "Hes not good enough!" and yet many of the players we signed in the past were not well known and yet more patience was shown and we reaped the rewards. Jan Molby an example !  More patience needs to be shown with regarding the players we sign present day, the biggest stars are those that emerge and adapt naturally through progression, not the name, as Shevchenko has proved.

:nod
Riera was "doomed" cause he played a few games for Man City!
Of course all the resident yappy gurning kunts remembered each game he played for them in detail and everything he done wrong..he was shi'te!
Sabre made a few absolutely spot on predictions and basically described him to a tee...no one listened!
I said give him a chance as I knew little about the player in all honesty.

Now the same folk that were giving off about him being"not what we need" etc etc are practically licking his balls!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:49 am

Number 9 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

:nod
Riera was "doomed" cause he played a few games for Man City!
Of course all the resident yappy gurning kunts remembered each game he played for them in detail and everything he done wrong..he was shi'te!
Sabre made a few absolutely spot on predictions and basically described him to a tee...no one listened!
I said give him a chance as I knew little about the player in all honesty.

Now the same folk that were giving off about him being"not what we need" etc etc are practically licking his balls!

u'd know about licking balls...
:shifty ... im just sayin
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:59 am

:laugh:
You are just saying what ya see mate,no bother!Like catch phrase in a way..aye!

Look at what you did to mister chips!
:laugh: :laugh:
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion