The reality is, - We've had quite a hard start.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:29 am

I've just read through the "debacle" thread and bearing in mind what your mum always tells you, "if you can't think of anything nice to say then don't say anything at all" thought I'd leave alone and start on a different tack.
The reality is that discarding the Sunderland game, we've had a pretty tasty opening bunch of games. Three out of the four teams we have played are aiming for a top six slot and our next couple of games are against Brum away who beat us twice last season and (I think) Chelski. I would venture that if we can pick up four points from those two games and be sitting on ten points then we haven't done too bad.
There are far easier pickings on offer than that which we have encountered sofar, we have jump started in the Champions League and we generally aint doing too bad. I'm not trying to pretend we are going great guns 'cos we're not, and I'm no bigger fan of 4-5-1 than anybody else but Chelski proved last season that the way to go is always to pick up points when struggling a bit.
Lets be honest, we aint gonna win the Prem this year. Our rivals are Arsenal, Manure and anybody else who has ideas about gatecrashing the top four. Compared to those teams we've made a pretty solid start so cheer up everybody. Sunday was no debacle.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:34 am

Well, I'm not that pesimistic. THere's still a lot of league going on. I know that impresses a lot the 10 points comparing to Chelski, but they're not gonna win everything they play.

I also think that Liverpool will boost in the premiere when the champions league takes it's rest. I trust this Liverpool.

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:02 am

this is what we want a thread that a bit more positive then the rest good stuff!!!

I think where doing well so far the defence looks solid and where making chances, okay where not taking them but its gonna happen hopefully sooner rather then later but you never know we might put four past the Brummies.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:18 am

I'm well impressed with the clean sheets. Would be great if it could continue into the Birmingham game. I'd be happy with a 1-0. :)
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:33 am

welcome back stu. in a funny way i've missed reading your posts recently. :D

good post bigmick. people need to realise that we're actually two points better off than we were at this stage last season. we've improved in that we're completely solid defensively at the moment. all we need to do now is start putting a few chances away and everything will be looking rosy again.

however in january it's essential that we get 1 if not 2 quality wide men in so that we can get in behind teams more and give crouch and morientes some quality supply.

birmingham away next is a great chance to get back on track. they've played 3 and lost 3 at home so far this season. if i was djibril cisse, i'd be knocking the manager's door down asking to play in this one. we're struggling for goals and this game is an ideal chance for our strikers to score a few goals and get some confidence before the chelsea double header.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:37 am

Our game against birmingham will "kick start" our season, we have to remain positive, rafa knows what he is doing have faith. I can see a more positive aproach to sat's game, the brummies wont know whats hit them!.   :)
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:39 am

If i was here a few weeks ago when you were posting :censored: about Sinama-Pongolle playing right wing i'd have jumped down your throat.

Apart from that, thank you for the welcome.
115-1073096938

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:42 am

What is wrong with trying Pongo on the wing ?
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:46 am

Do not get me started on this.

Playing players out of position unless neccerssary is bollox. Thats the end of it.
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:49 am

The thing is, is it neccassary, becuase we havent got a right sided midfielder at the club. Someone is going to have to play out of postion, it just about choseing the most viable.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:51 am

BringBackTiti wrote:this is what we want a thread that a bit more positive then the rest good stuff!!!

I think where doing well so far the defence looks solid and where making chances, okay where not taking them but its gonna happen hopefully sooner rather then later but you never know we might put four past the Brummies.

I agree totally

There are way to many unconstructive posts

Its right that we should discuss shortcomings and debate how they can be solved but we must also reconise all the positives that are on show this season and take heart from them-
To listen to some you would think we were bottom of the prem leaking goals and pointless instead of being unbeaten having not conceded a single prem goal -ok the goals scored leaves a lot to be desired but that will come-

As Bigmick said our early fixtures were far from easy, even the blue noses in work were confident that they would be looking down on us after the first 5 games

I think we have handled a tricky start really well and we will get much stronger as the season progreses

Good solid start in my opinion
teamleader1

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:51 am

Well im not trying to get you started on anything.

But I honestly believe he could do the job for us until Christmas afterall who else have we got,really ?

Thats my opinion sorry to divert away from the original post.

End of..
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:54 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:The thing is, is it neccassary, becuase we havent got a right sided midfielder at the club. Someone is going to have to play out of postion, it just about choseing the most viable.

the thing is, the most viable option is gerrard but as soon as i mentioned that, everybody shot me down with the "you can't take gerrard out the middle argument".

i mean it's not like we're short in central midfield is it? maybe this would give alonso a bit more freedom. at the moment he's playing far too deep for my liking. hell he's virtually a centre half most of the time.

the fact is gerrard actually possesses the ability to go past people in wide areas with his pace and drive. he's also the best crosser of a ball at the club bar none.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby BringBackTiti » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:56 am

I though Pongulle did has done alright againt the mancs and betis
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:57 am

bigmick wrote:I've just read through the "debacle" thread and bearing in mind what your mum always tells you, "if you can't think of anything nice to say then don't say anything at all" thought I'd leave alone and start on a different tack.
The reality is that discarding the Sunderland game, we've had a pretty tasty opening bunch of games. Three out of the four teams we have played are aiming for a top six slot and our next couple of games are against Brum away who beat us twice last season and (I think) Chelski. I would venture that if we can pick up four points from those two games and be sitting on ten points then we haven't done too bad.
There are far easier pickings on offer than that which we have encountered sofar, we have jump started in the Champions League and we generally aint doing too bad. I'm not trying to pretend we are going great guns 'cos we're not, and I'm no bigger fan of 4-5-1 than anybody else but Chelski proved last season that the way to go is always to pick up points when struggling a bit.
Lets be honest, we aint gonna win the Prem this year. Our rivals are Arsenal, Manure and anybody else who has ideas about gatecrashing the top four. Compared to those teams we've made a pretty solid start so cheer up everybody. Sunday was no debacle.

I agree with what most of what you have said Mick, but I persoanly haven't gone anywhere near calling the season so far a "debacle" or anything remotely close.

We have had a tough kind of start to the season, but it could have been worse. It would have been nice to have a few easy games to start with just to get into our stride, but if you look at the facts we have done reasonably well:

- Qualified for the Champions League
- Won the Super Cup
- Kept 4 clean sheets.
- And at have at least matched and in 2 cases bettered last seasons results.

Obviously there is a slight concern over the lack of goals, but that is the only negative this season, we are competing much better than last season, like I said in another thread, I dont think any of the teams we have played can say they were the better side during the game.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion