1. tw@ts
2. city
3. chelsea
4. Liverpool
5. arsenal
6. spurs
Thommo's perm

Postby mkingdom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Had we just got 6 points from the last 2 games, as our performances may have deserved, I would make us favourites for top 4.

I think we'll have a good run in, but ultimately we are too far behind now.  9 points on Spuds means they need to lose three as we win three.  Just can't see it.

I'm not giving up, just giving an opinion on the facts as I see them.  I'd love us to win say 10 of the last 13, and draw the other 3 and see where that gets us, but I don't see Spurs and the rest doing as badly as we need them too.
mkingdom

Postby Entourage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I think the majority of you are spot on.

Being 9 points off Spurs is too much, yes our run in favours us with being at home to Everton, Spurs and Chelsea but I think it will be too much this season, as much as I would love to be proven wrong. Winning games and seeing them out when leading should be our priority at the minute.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby eds » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

mkingdom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 pm wrote:Had we just got 6 points from the last 2 games, as our performances may have deserved, I would make us favourites for top 4.

I think we'll have a good run in, but ultimately we are too far behind now.  9 points on Spuds means they need to lose three as we win three.  Just can't see it.

I'm not giving up, just giving an opinion on the facts as I see them.  I'd love us to win say 10 of the last 13, and draw the other 3 and see where that gets us, but I don't see Spurs and the rest doing as badly as we need them too.

If we can beat Spuds in early March we will know exactly where we are at.

They still have to play the likes of Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea and Man City. Whereas our hardest two games are Cheatski and Neverton both at home.

So 4th place is far from sealed.......
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

normally i`d say it`s over but the way we steamrollered the likes of QPR, fulham, sunderland and norwich in recent weeks suggests that we still have a outside chance of getting 4th.
we have a good run in and where as normally you`d expect us to drop points left right and center against the lesser lights of the division if we can keep the type of form up that we showed over the christmas period then we`ll rack a lot of points up.
we aren`t the favourites to get 4th but we aren`t out of it either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Race for fourth - gone.

With calamity Reina, Skertel at home to Citeh and numerous other times we've conceded stupid goals and thrown games away to the oppo, they'll add up and it's these points that determine whether 4th is viable or not. For me, we've dropped too many and we aren't going to regain that IMO, we needed more than 2pts from the last two fixtures.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Hide yer razor blades, Kenny's been on the pop! The season lost all for 2 points. Bl**dy Reina!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 pm

we are asking too much for 4th imo, had we of beaten city and kept the gap at 7pts then we still had a slim chance. spurs were cack over the last 5 weeks and we still failed to close in on them.
arsenal have gone 5 pts ahead of us and the bitters are 6 with spurs increasing theirs to 9, we need those to lose a few games but unfortunately we will probably lose a few ourselves.
i think the stat is we have taken 5 points from all the teams above us which isnt top 4 material, ok we have a slightly easier run in than most but we cant take games against swansea,spurs,chelsea,everton and newcastle for granted and i doubt we can take 15pts from those and based on the first half of the season 6 pts is more likely.
we also have a few in there that are fighting for their premier lives so they will be well up for it.
4th is just wishful thinking this season im afraid.
we are on course for a higher finish than last season which has to be seen as a positive considering its rodgers first season.
the europa league title would be nice though :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:35 pm

The idea that we could still finish fourth may indeed be "wishful thinking" but it's not an impossibility.

Beat Spurs and their lead over us is cut to 6, beat Everton and their lead is down to just 3, both of those sides are going to drop enough points to give us a chance of catching them, admittedly we've got to go on an almost unbeaten run but with 13 games to go and 39 points up for grabs it's not over yet.

:buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm

I reckon its still on, if we can maintain the form shown ion the last couple of games we have a good chance and its not just about a scap for 4th place as 3rd is there as well cos Chelsea are looking decidedly dodgy at present, so two out of us, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton and Arsenal
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Entourage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm

It is very much wishful thinking.

If you were chasing 1 team for Fourth spot then maybe but when you're chasing three and 6th spot is 5 points ahead of us then I think it's a losing battle. I would love to go on a massive winning run now and can see us winning the majority of our remaining games but I think 4th is a step too far.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Based on our performances against City and Arsenal We ARE a top 4 side. If we have cost ourself earlier in the season then that will be found out However we have alot going for us in the race for fourth. We are playing good football our next two games are at home and the teams we are challenging are playing against eachother so they points will be dropped.

Looking at the sides I think Everton will drop the most points. They have a very very hard run in. The squad is very slim. Tottenham keep grinding out victories but without Bale I think they would be alot weaker. Arsenal have the FA cup and CL to distract them as they want to end their drought of trophies ASAP.

Im not saying it will be easy but if the season started today with the teams everyone has left id tip us to finish above the rest

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Entourage » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:52 pm wrote:It is very much wishful thinking.

If you were chasing 1 team for Fourth spot then maybe but when you're chasing three and 6th spot is 5 points ahead of us then I think it's a losing battle. I would love to go on a massive winning run now and can see us winning the majority of our remaining games but I think 4th is a step too far.

Looking at the next 5 games

Arsenal have got some tricky away fixtures at Sunderland, Spurs and Swansea plus they entertain Everton and relegation battlers Villa at home, wouldn't be surprised if they dropped 5 or 6 points

Everton in additon to travelling to Arsenal they're also away to Man Utd and they have Man City, Norwich and Reading at home. could easily drop 5 or 6 points

Spurs have three London derby's West Ham, Arsenal and Fulham plus a visit to Anfield and Newcastle, lose to us plus they could also drop another 2 or 3 points in at least one of the other fixtures and they could be right in our sights.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Unfortunately, I still think we have an Oldham type performance in us.  We haven't been consistent enough at all.
I also just can't see us beating the likes of Spurs, Chelsea and Everton at Anfield either.  We'll drop at least some points.

We have made progress though and with more new additions in the summer hopefully we can kick on next season.
Too many freak results like West Brom on the opening day and not being able to finish matches when we're leading has ultimately cost us.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:25 pm

One thing playing well and another seeing a game out like a top side and we arent
capable of that yet.

A top team would have picked up 6 points after being 2 up at Arsenal and ahead at
City dominating the match, we got 2 points.

There is a mental side to the game and ensuring you take home the win no matter
how you play and we simply do not have that in our locker.

Doing alright but small steps and I really dont know what to say about the clangers
and Reinas part in some of those.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion