The race for FOURTH

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redno7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 am

we are 7 points off 4th now. not 5
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby alwayslfc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am

4th place finish is only a mathematical possibility. TBH, the current thin squad that we have, the inconsistency, only 1 established striker and he is not a no. 9 sort of player, pass, pass, pass and no goals to show for, etc etc we do not deserve nor are not good enough to finish fourth. Clinical strikers and creative midfielders are needed over the next 2 windows to have any chance of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Stevie G has been a loyal stalwart and a legend for us, but age is catching up and he's no longer the player he was 5 or 6 years ago.
alwayslfc

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:28 pm

redno7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am wrote:we are 7 points off 4th now. not 5

I know
2 wins and a draw
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:12 pm

you have to laugh at the hypocrisy of fans though.

after the defeat at west brom on the first day he came out and said "we'll have more days like this throughout the season". fans came out and slaughtered him saying "this is liverpool football club- our football club shouldn't be talking like this". then last week after a decent run of wins he comes out and aims high (a bit tongue in cheek) and everyone has a go at him for that aswell. everything the bloe says is overanalysed to a ridiculous degree. the bloke can't win.

the last week just sums up the fickle nature of football really. people were talking about 4th before the weekend and now all of a sudden we're useless.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 pm

stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm wrote:you have to laugh at the hypocrisy of fans though.

after the defeat at west brom on the first day he came out and said "we'll have more days like this throughout the season". fans came out and slaughtered him saying "this is liverpool football club- our football club shouldn't be talking like this". then last week after a decent run of wins he comes out and aims high (a bit tongue in cheek) and everyone has a go at him for that aswell. everything the bloe says is overanalysed to a ridiculous degree. the bloke can't win.

the last week just sums up the fickle nature of football really. people were talking about 4th before the weekend and now all of a sudden we're useless.

To overly criticise the manager is pathetic and to call for his head is insane.
In these nasty, cynical, pi'ss taking times he might have been best advised not to mention 4th, 3rd or 2nd because it was a nap it was going to come back and bite him on the ar'se, even though like you said it was tongue in cheek. I personally have no objections in him bigging us up and cheering the fans up, but my, what vitriol we have had from some sections of our own supporters.
Moaning cu'nts the lot of them who should lighten up and appreciate that we have progressed and could be in with a shout of a top 4 place, as strange as it seems at this moment in time
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

4th for me was never realistic and the fact that anyone was mentioning it is more indicative of how utterly average the league is this year more than how much we've progressed. chelsea didn't win in 7 league games and stayed 3rd all that time. until yesterday everton were 4th despite having only won 3 in 12. it's a competitive league but aside from the two manchester clubs it's wide open. win 3 on the bounce and you're right in the top 4 mix. we're currently 12th but about 5 points off 5th. unfortunately we're still far too inconsistent to put a run of wins together imo. i can see us beating fulham but after that we're away at stole where i can only see us getting a draw at best.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm

stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm wrote:4th for me was never realistic and the fact that anyone was mentioning it is more indicative of how utterly average the league is this year more than how much we've progressed. chelsea didn't win in 7 league games and stayed 3rd all that time. until yesterday everton were 4th despite having only won 3 in 12. it's a competitive league but aside from the two manchester clubs it's wide open. win 3 on the bounce and you're right in the top 4 mix. we're currently 12th but about 5 points off 5th. unfortunately we're still far too inconsistent to put a run of wins together imo. i can see us beating fulham but after that we're away at stole where i can only see us getting a draw at best.

Thats exactly the point though, all those teams above us bar the top 2 are much of a muchness and neverton will surely lose ground thanks to fellainis thuggery.
I just feel that talk about finishing 4th is not as sacrosanct or crazy as it used to be due to the mediocrity of those above us
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 pm wrote:
stmichael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm wrote:4th for me was never realistic and the fact that anyone was mentioning it is more indicative of how utterly average the league is this year more than how much we've progressed. chelsea didn't win in 7 league games and stayed 3rd all that time. until yesterday everton were 4th despite having only won 3 in 12. it's a competitive league but aside from the two manchester clubs it's wide open. win 3 on the bounce and you're right in the top 4 mix. we're currently 12th but about 5 points off 5th. unfortunately we're still far too inconsistent to put a run of wins together imo. i can see us beating fulham but after that we're away at stole where i can only see us getting a draw at best.

Thats exactly the point though, all those teams above us bar the top 2 are much of a muchness and neverton will surely lose ground thanks to fellainis thuggery.
I just feel that talk about finishing 4th is not as sacrosanct or crazy as it used to be due to the mediocrity of those above us

if chelsea get a striker in january then them and spurs will finish third and fourth imo, purely because of the depth of their squads. they can rotate more than we can.

i still think we'll finish between 6th and 8th.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Boocity » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57 pm wrote:We will remain outside the top 4 unless we stgart winning games against the 'lesser' teams. We can pick ourselves up for games against the better teams but like this game today you had the feeling that the team thought they could just walk on the pitch to win it.

I'm not sure thats fair we seem to be getting better and better at playing poor teams AND picking ourselves up for the big games. All we are really lacking is some more firepower in midfield plus a few strikers, and a new goalie although I think Brad Jones is ready to step up to that task.
I see definite signs of improvement, and I think the Villa game was one of those weird blips where we were maybe a bit too confident and they are finally finding some form, it happens to all teams.
heimdall

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 am

If we can perform the way we performed yesterday there is no reason why we cant get close to fourth. Weve got Man UTD, Man city and Arsenal out the way with. They 3 tough games we have left, Chelsea,Tottenham and Everton are all at home.

I think we will finish above Everton simply because they have Us and every team above them still to play.

Psycologically When we play Swansea Sunday 17th? we would have played one more game then everyone else BUT IF we can win that and the game before WBA home 11th Feb and Everton dont beat UTD we could then go above Everton.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:47 am

We will end up 7th.
Benny The Noon

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 am

If we can just put our heads down and concentrate on winning every match as it comes by the end of the season we will probably be in third. I worry most about Spurs as the last few years they seem to have our number and over confidence with some of the lesser teams. We have every chance of CL football next year but we need to have a great rest of the season to do it. Difficult but not impossible.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 am

Whys that Benny? Have you not seen enough from the team to say were capable of top 4 or 5. Everton are not better than us. We showed that at Goodison park. They have got to come to Anfield and alot of other tough games. As i said our hard games are at home. Weve already played Stoke away which is always a tough game for us. The only tough game we have away is probably Newcastle UTD

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am

We commit too many errors and concede too many goals. Playing well is immaterial unless you are turning that into wins. We will continue to drop points as the season goes along.
Benny The Noon

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:35 am

Have to agree with Benny here.  While I like Rodgers and I can see a big improvement this season, we don't have the mentality to finish fourth.  We concede silly goals and just can't hold onto a lead to save our lives. 
As good as the last 2 performances have been, we've pretty much dropped 4 points.  Its seriously small time if we start celebrating draws that should have been wins.

If we somehow managed to get into 4th spot, we'd sh.it our pants and bottle it.

Rodgers really needs to work on the mental side of the game.  We need to learn how to keep our heads when we're in a leading position.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion