The plot thickens

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:42 pm

Source: Liverpool FC

Reds get the green light for Morientes
  • Liverpool have been the go-ahead to sign Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes after confusion that the player could not move until the end of the season. 

Not only that but we could even sign him, finances permitting, before the transfer window re-opens in January.

Current FIFA regulations stipulate that players can not transfer between countries twice in a year and Morientes was loaned out to Monaco by Real last season. However, FIFA have said that if Real mutually agree with the player to terminate his contract then he could move at any time during the season. FIFA have also said that the loan move to Monaco does not count as a transfer which would enable him to sign for Liverpool in January regardless.

Morientes has two years remaining on his current deal but if Real got shot of him now they'd save an estimated £6million in wages. Real released a "hands-off" statement to Liverpool yesterday but that's just part of their panto and if Liverpool can meet their valuation they're free to sign him. However, reports in Spain claim that the Spanish giants value him at around £8million which could cause a problem.

Rafael Benitez hinted yesterday that his hands could be tied in January when he said: "If we have money, okay, then you can sign ten players. But if you don't you work with the players you have and prepare the team the best you can. Then you work with young players and prepare for the future."

Morientes frustrated with Real
  • Fernando Morientes' agent has revealed his client's frustration with Real Madrid and has hinted that a move to Liverpool during the transfer window could be on the cards, reports LFC Online. 

Morientes's agent, Gines Carvajal was at Anfield on Tuesday night to see the Reds take on Deportivo La Coruna, sparking rumours that the Spaniard was Liverpool bound.

With Morientes falling behind Ronaldo, Raul and Michael Owen in the pecking order at Real the player has become annoyed at his lack of first team action and both he and Carvajal have spoken about a move to Liverpool.

"Morientes is unhappy because he does not play," said Carvajal. "If I were the coach, I would start him in some games. It is easier to give chances to people who come from outside rather than people who are home-bred. These are the consequences of playing in Madrid."

Morientes has also been linked with a move to Monaco where he spent last season on loan.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1098209959 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:54 pm

He hasn't started 1 game this season, I think we could get him if we could agree a fee in January.
67-1098209959

Postby greenred » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:45 pm

So where does that leave the potential Mista transfer?Ive heard he is desparate to join Benitez at Liverpool.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:08 am

I can't find this on the LFC site ???

I hope he move to us in January, how much do you think Real will want? ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:10 am

We need, (and excuse the terminology as I am not advocating buying World Cup Willie from Charlton) a "fox in the box".

A real goal poacher, some one in the penalty area to sniff out te tap ins and deflections.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:28 am

Agreed but who?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:33 am

Owen ? :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:54 am

Is John Aldridge still around :D  no seriously,those type of players are thin on the ground.Id take Owen back tomorrow.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:34 am

So where does that leave the potential Mista transfer?Ive heard he is desparate to join Benitez at Liverpool.

Mista isn't going to sign a contract with Valencia. By the looks of it he will walk out on a bosman in order to join us. We get him for free.

I can't find this on the LFC site

Look under media watch.

We need, (and excuse the terminology as I am not advocating buying World Cup Willie from Charlton) a "fox in the box".

I agree to a certain degree. However Rafa is keen on his midfielders scoring a lot. Morientes and Mista would be fine with me.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:33 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:We need, (and excuse the terminology as I am not advocating buying World Cup Willie from Charlton) a "fox in the box".

That would be morientas.. :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:40 am

maybe we could get some money for the young french craig david looking guy
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:02 am

In   - Morientes and Mista !!
Out - Cisse and Baros !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:48 pm

Thats a bit harsh, Cisse and Baros are good plays but it just depends if they can play together ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:57 pm

Out - Cisse and Baros !!

Please stfu. Give Cisse a bit more time before you say such stupid things. A goal or two will get him going, he has great pace and strength.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1098209959 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:35 pm

I don't think there(Baros and Cisse) partnership is a bad as some make out, but I don't think they will ever hit it off.
67-1098209959

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion