The plot thickens

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:37 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:We need, (and excuse the terminology as I am not advocating buying World Cup Willie from Charlton) a "fox in the box".

A real goal poacher, some one in the penalty area to sniff out te tap ins and deflections.

Agree, lets buy back Owen!
whylongball?

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 pm

That won't happen.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 pm

Owen scores again for RM, who will now feel more comfortable about releasing Morientes. Price of £8m might be prohibitive for LFC, but if Cisse and Baros continue to fire blanks, we may be willing to pay their price. Not sure it would be a good deal at age 28, we would be lucky to get 2 good seasons out of him.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:46 pm

First of all, Cisse needs the time to bang in the goals. I hate repeating myself so I will say it for the last time. Thierry Henry had hard time getting the job done for Arsenal when he first arrived. He was given time and now he is a class player. Give Cisse that same time.

Baros on the other hand needs to pass once in a while.

The point of all this is that time is needed.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby whylongball? » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:50 pm

Cisse needs to keep cool in front of goal and stop trying to beat opponents on the sprints all the time if he is to score. Speed is not everything i got to say..But agree with u AB, he needs time including time on the bench to watch how others play to learn
whylongball?

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:52 pm

He tried to link up with Baros yesterday but Baros let him down. I don't mind seeing our midfield score as long as we win. Eventualy Cisse will adapt and Baros will get rid of his bad habbit.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby anchor man » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:17 pm

I think we made a mistake in the summer in not cashing in on baros then after his exploits in euro 04.
Maybe he will be sold on in january which will put some money in the coffers to get morientes and mista on a free and we then have 3 strikers and lots of tactical options.
anchor man

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:25 pm

I think we made a mistake in the summer in not cashing in on baros then after his exploits in euro 04.
Maybe he will be sold on in january which will put some money in the coffers to get morientes and mista on a free and we then have 3 strikers and lots of tactical options

If we had sold Baros we would have Cisse and Pongolle. I rather have Baros and Cisse than Pongolle for the time being.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:58 pm

Cisse and Baros need time but there is room for what Leon calls "a fox in the box". Unfortunately both Cisse and Baros like to come deep and I doubt if they'll ever change that.

There were countless times in the Charlton game where Cisse would run into the box only to find Baros standing ten yards behind him, and vice versa.

I think its a given Benitez will eventually sign a box striker in the Ian Rush mould, and there's a decent chance it'll be Mista.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:11 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Cisse and Baros need time but there is room for what Leon calls "a fox in the box". Unfortunately both Cisse and Baros like to come deep and I doubt if they'll ever change that.

There were countless times in the Charlton game where Cisse would run into the box only to find Baros standing ten yards behind him, and vice versa.

I think its a given Benitez will eventually sign a box striker in the Ian Rush mould, and there's a decent chance it'll be Mista.

i hope so  :)  i think once we sign this type of striker we still start to go places as thye rest of the team seem to be functioning quite well
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:28 pm

Quote (A.B. @ Oct. 24 2004,15:46)
First of all, Cisse needs the time to bang in the goals. I hate repeating myself so I will say it for the last time. Thierry Henry had hard time getting the job done for Arsenal when he first arrived. He was given time and now he is a class player. Give Cisse that same time.

Part of the reason henry needed the time to get the job done was that he previously played out wide as a winger and Wenger converted him into a striker, don't ever conveniently overlook this fact about Henry. Henry had always been fast with quick feet and can dribble, he just was not a central striker.

Cisse is a striker, quick but not one who can dribble as well as Henry.

Also, in your later post, you said that Cisse likes to come from deep. He does not like that, he has to do that as this is the way Liverpool plays now. Cisse had been effective is scoring for Auxerre when connecting to crosses, outpacing defenders from through passes or arriving to slot in passes from another player. He is not one to run at defenders with the ball and try to beat them. If we persist to keep playing him this way, he will continue to be a lightweight who gets dispossessed very easily - what we have seen thus far.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:57 pm

One more thing to ponder is not to get too carried away with Morrientes. He won't bang in the goals by the dozen as he is not the type of really prolific striker. His best season was in 2001 when he scored 18 goals in 30-odd games for Madrid.

I think what Rafa sees in him is the striker who has a lot of skills who can link-up with either Baros or Cisse and get them to play off him so that he is more of an assist striker who also happens to have the ability to score. His skills will come in handy when you need a creative player who can score in tight matches to break the deadlock. We don't have this kind of striker. Garcia is not an out-and-out striker but more of an attacking midfielder who can score goals. He can play as striker in certain games when the team is playing certain formations.

He is never going to be the main goal scorer in any team like Owen has been for us or like van Horseface or Henry but his qualities are welcomed when playing in a system preferred by Benithez.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:32 am

Moirentes was excellent in the CL last season but I don't think he got into double figures in domestic French football.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:57 am

JBG, I was watching the delayed Real Madrid-Valencia match and when Morrientes came on for the last 10 minutes or so, the commentator was saying that he got 10 goals for Monaco last season but I can't quite catch if these goals included the CL goals or not or they were his total for the entire French domestic league.

This is my point exactly - he is more of a provider forward rather than a goalscoring striker. Our forum members here tend to get a bit excited when a name is mentioned as a possible transfer target and think that those linked to the club will be a solution to the problems, in the case of Morrientes, if he ever comes to Liverpool, don't expect him to bang in goals like van Horseface because he is not that type of player. He will more like support the main goal scorer - Baros or Cisse - ant it is still up to either of these two to bang in by the bucket loads. A worrying prospect as they are prone to even miss sitters!
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:10 am

Personally i think Mista maybe the better option out of the two mentioned in this thread, although he is the lesser profile player out of the two!
He scored alot of goals for Benitez @ Valencia, so Rafa knows how to work with him and how to get goals from him!
Also it seems as though he is desperate to play for Rafa which is obviously a good thing as he will do an awful lot of work for his manager!
Buisness wise he will be available for a free, demand less wages then Morientes and he is younger.
As people have been saying Morientes is not a prolific scorer of goals so maybe Mista would be the wiser choice!!!!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion