THE OPPO: WEST HAM (A)

WEST HAM

League Position   -   18th

Current Home Form   -   D L L W L W

Top Scorers   -   Zamora - 6 goals
                          Mullins - 3 goals
                          Harewood - 3 goals

Recent Encounters between teams
26 Aug 2006 - West Ham (H)  2-1 (Crouch, Agger) (Zamora)
13 May 2006 - West Ham - FA Cup Final - 3-3 (Carra OG,Ashton,Konchesky) (Cisse, Gerrard 2)
26 Apr 2006 West Ham (A)  2-1 (Reo Coker) (Cisse 2)
29 Oct 2005 West Ham (H)  2-0 (Xabi Alonso, Cisse)

Interesting Facts
* Not one West Ham player has played every game for West Ham this year.
*West Ham have not kept a clean sheet for 5 games.
*West ham  started out as Thames Ironworks FC in 1895. They entered the London League in 1896 and were successful in the championship, becoming professional in 1899, moving quickly through the Southern  League Second Division (London) and changed their name to West ham.

Club Honours

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

F.A. CUP WINNERS
1964, 1975, 1980

And now thanks to the guys atwww.westhamforum.co.uk:

-------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, what do you guys make of the deal to bring Tevez and Maschereno to your club? Why has tevez not scored and why isn't Maschereno playing?

WESTHAMMONKEY:Having them come to the club was kind of an affirmation of everything I've always felt about us... that we're cool, talented, worldbeating and the place to find the best players in the world.
I wasn't happy about the way the deal seemed to come together and since they arrived it's pretty much been a nightmare.

Tevez has looked good when he's played and all strikers go thru barren spells, even the likes of fowler and owen... but they come good in the end and once Tevez is fit and playing regularly and gets his first goal... he'll be unstoppable.

The Masch situation is unbelievable and the source of constant pain. He's world class but can't get into our underperforming team... he's wanted by Liverpool but can't figure for us...
something is very wrong there but no one will tell us what the reason is.

Stavvy: Tevez WILL score... as for MAscherano, why this boy is not in the heart of our midfield only god knows... one of the season's  great mysteries

Chas Hanslow: They are a good catch for us, but who knows why Masch has only played something like 8 mins in the pitch. Tevez will score and I think that once he breaks the seal that he will be a difficult man to stop once he gets going.

Tony P: I think the deal was an amazing coup for a club like West Ham although the terms of the transfer are shrouded in mystersy. Tevez has done everything BUT score. Given a run in the side he will score goals. We have no idea why Mascherano is not playing. He is arguably one of the best central midfield players in the world yet cannot get into our side. It seems incredible that Rafa Benitez considers him good enough for Liverpool but both Pardew and Curbishley do not seem to rate him.

Why have West Ham slumped so miserably this season after flying high last year?

WESTHAMMONKEY:As the Americans call it... "sophomore slump". The first season is always easy... trying to replicate that success the second year is always way harder.
We were compounded by an attitude problem from the players and a manger problem in terms of failing to sort it out soon enough and also a bunch of allegations that made Pardew's position untenable.

The Argentinians weren't the cause of it... neither was takeover speculation... it was a whole bunch of things coming together at the wrong time.

Stavvy: We played above ourselves last season, and we were an unknown quantity.. we played every game (home and away) to win, and we took alot of teams by surprise. They are wise to us this year, and many who believed all the hype from last year, now think they merely have to show up to get the win. Add to this, severe loss of form to key players, the injury of our star striker, minimum competition for places and alleged dressing room unrest...

Chas Hanslow: Too much dressing room politics and the bling boys. Basically big heads and little boys brains have restricted the talent coming through.

Tony P: I think that last year ALL of the players played out of their skins. They seem to have think they have "made it" now and have not played to the same levels as they did last year. The defeats have hit confidence levels amongst the younger players and it seems hard to get out of

What are your hopes and aspirations for the rest of the season? Can you beat the drop?

WESTHAMMONKEY:to avoid the drop... anything else is irrelevant at this point in our existence... honestly... nothing else matters...

will we? I hope with every ounce of my being but I get a little less confident with each passing game.

Stavvy: We will still stay up... the last couple of games we've shown some fight... and one or two players are regaining lost form... Survival is my only aspiration..

Chas Hanslow: Staying up is not a consideration, we must. FA Cup would be nice with a score like West Ham 3 - Liverpool 1

Tony P: For this season the No.1 priority is to stay up. Another FA Cup run would be nice too

Everytime we turn on Sky Sports News, West Ham are linked with another player, Young, Upson, Lauren etc. How many and who would you like to bring in before the window shuts?

WESTHAMMONKEY:Don't care so long as they help keep us in the premiership.

we can rebuild and plan for the future in the summer... there's only one job on the table at the moment and that's premiership survival.

Stavvy: We need defenders... we currently have all 3 CBs crocked.. and we need a left back and a right back (since Mears and Pantsil dont look like they'll get a game)

Chas Hanslow: Who cares, as long as they get the job done.

Tony P: The quantity is irrelevant. We need experienced, proven, Premiership players to steady the ship and see us through this season to ensure we stay in the Premier League

Liverpool are on the verge of a takeover like West Ham went through early this season. What do you make of the takeover and was it good for your club?

WESTHAMMONKEY:they seem to have money and seem (thus far) to have football as the main priority. Whether that lasts or not remains to be seen.

Stavvy: Jury still out on this one... its a worry that all these foreign owners with no understanding of club traditions etc come in and start changing things....  i would think that a club like yours, with all its history, would also have misgivings... its nice to have a few bob to spend for a change tho!

Chas Hanslow: The lead up and rumours did nothing for the moral of the club, or our lousy performance this season, but now it's done I hope that we benifit from the investments that the Iceman is makeing in new transfers.

Tony P: Only time will tell. Certainly it seems that we are financially stronger following the takeover. But at West Ham we have certain traditions that need to be upheld whilst at the same time taking the club forward. It is a fine line which the new owners need to tread.

Your winners of the following:

Champions League:
Premiership:
F.A Cup:
Carling Cup:

WESTHAMMONKEY:Champions League: don't know
Premiership: who do I want or who do I think? Pretty much couldn't care less once we're out of the running
F.A Cup: wouldn't mind us winning but not at the expense of premiership survival
Carling Cup: same answer as for the Prem

Stavvy: Champions League: Not Chelsea
Premiership: F.A Cup: US!
Carling Cup: who cares

Chas Hanslow: Champions League: Any one but Cheatski
Premiership: Any one but cheatski (or manure or Arsenal )
F.A Cup:West Ham!
Carling Cup: Who cares

What do you make of the Liverpool squad this season?

WESTHAMMONKEY:to be honest... when I think of Liverpool I think of Keegan, Toshack, Heighway, Hughes, Clemence...
When I see a Liverpool team sheet with names like Sissoko, Alonso, Garcia, etc... I feel kinda sad... like that's not the way football is meant to be.

Don't get me wrong... you have some very talented players at your club... but it just doesn't seem like Liverpool to me any more.

and quite why you bought Peter Crouch I'll never know...

Stavvy: Dont know whats wrong with you lot this year, very inconsistent... you'll get it right..  Kuyt looks quality... and then thee is closet hammer Gerrard...

Chas Hanslow: Do they come with a Spanish phrase book?

Tony P: It seems as strong as ever. Always strong defensively but still struggling to find that 20 goal per season striker that you have not had since Fowler and then Owen. Rafa probably expected more from Bellamy in front of goal. Kuyt looks a quality centre forward who w*rks hard. Crouch has his critics but still produces the goods. In Steven Gerrard you have the best English central midfield player. End of.

Your views on our fans?

Stavvy: your fans are like ours.. cant think of a higher comliment..

Chas Hanslow: Great bunch, had a fantastic time the last time I was there even though we lost 0 - 1

Tony P: I seen the truth day protest and good on you. There are too many unanswered questions from that day. I think it is too easy to blame the fans. The South Yorkshire police have a lot to answer to

Your memories of THAT F.A Cup Final?

WESTHAMMONKEY:We had the game in the bag and were robbed.

As much as I loved the players for their performance and attitude and commitment - I'm kinda fed up with being everyone's favorite losers...

Stavvy: It was ours... we won it... if it wasnt for that pesky Gerrard...  my only beef is that they refer to it as the Gerrard final... gross misrepresentation... Fantastic day, and great for football in general..

Chas Hanslow: Brilliant game all round, sick that we lost, but glad it was the Pool that beat us and not that pile of kak notlob

Tony P: Elation and then total devastation. Being there it seemed like a dream. Going 2-0 up then getting pegged back. Then the board going up for injury time and thinking "just 4 minutes to hold out". Then...........that volley from Gerrard. At the time it didn't seem like the best final of all time. I still haven't watched the DVD. It hurts too much. Both sets of fans were a credit to the game though. Saw lots of Liverpool fans afterwards. All were complimentary to us without being patronising.

And finally can you predict the score for the newkit forum?

WESTHAMMONKEY:if it involves West Ham then I will always go for a West Ham win and I don't care by how many.

Stavvy: 27-0 to the cockney boys....

Chas Hanslow: NO!

Tony P: 27-0

-----------------------------------------------------

Rafa Dodd - I think the 27 -0  thing is a "in the know" joke.

Nice set of fans on the whole. Were :censored: themselves at the Chelsea score!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:15 am

Good read Rafa

but nice joke on the 27-0  :laugh:

Yeh some good sets of fans!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:42 am

We have about nine days before we play this game [which is on the 30th,Tuesday].

It could prove to be a potential banana peel for us. I know we've beaten Chelsea, but we must not underestimate the Hammers like Manure did a couple of months ago.

Curbishley is a good manager, and seems to know how to play against us
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:34 pm

I just worry that this game might be underestimated a bit by our players. It was easy to get motivated for the Chelsea game and it will be easy to get motivated for the Everton game, but this one in between could be taken for granted if we're not very careful. West Ham have shown that at home they are cappable of beating some of the best teams and its important that we keep our winning form going into the Everton and Newcastle games.

I would like to see Rafa go for a similar team and formation to the one he played against Watford. Full out attack with 3 up front 3 in the centre and Finnan and Aurelio on either wing. The last thing we want is to be stuck all game trying to break them down only for them to score on a counter attack like Blackburn did.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Bit worried about all the new players the Hammers seem to be snapping up. Neil, Boa Morte, Upson!?!  There a team just waiting to win at the moment and I hope we are not the fall guys (as per usual)
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 pm

Bit worried about all the new players the Hammers seem to be snapping up. Neil, Boa Morte, Upson!?!  There a team just waiting to win at the moment and I hope we are not the fall guys (as per usual)
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 pm

I hope this thread (the oppo) becomes a regular thread in the forum Rafa, good work.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Sabre wrote:I hope this thread (the oppo) becomes a regular thread in the forum Rafa, good work.

Did you catch the Watford and Chelsea ones Sabre?

I started with Watford and will continue to do one for every game,  quite fun really. Good bunch this west ham lot.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Great thread again Rafa , will be great if you can do it for every game.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 pm

I started with Watford and will continue to do one for every game,  quite fun really. Good bunch this west ham lot.

Yes I did. Sometimes it happens that we start something with strength and then we lose that strength, just encouraging you to keep up the good work. :;):
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zi-Dan Agger » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Quality thread, loving your work! made me realise that last season cisse scored 4 tims against the hammers! we should beat them, just hope neill doesnt come back to haunt us....
Zi-Dan Agger

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Good bunch of fans there!!
I hope they stay up cause they are a passionate bunch of genuine supporters that care for their traditions as much as the present!
Also they have one of the best youth scouting systems and academys in Europe!Its kind of sad that the bring some of the best English talents through the ranks time and time again only to be robbed off them by big money clubs....That would really make my blood boil and frustrate the fu.ck out of me if i supported them!
Good luck for the season ahead W Ham(not against us of course) and good work Raffa D....it must take up a fair bit of time lad to put that together!Just wait to we play the bitters bet they won't be so accomodating! :D
66-1120597113

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:Good bunch of fans there!!
I hope they stay up cause they are a passionate bunch of genuine supporters that care for their traditions as much as the present!
Also they have one of the best youth scouting systems and academys in Europe!Its kind of sad that the bring some of the best English talents through the ranks time and time again only to be robbed off them by big money clubs....That would really make my blood boil and frustrate the fu.ck out of me if i supported them!
Good luck for the season ahead W Ham(not against us of course) and good work Raffa D....it must take up a fair bit of time lad to put that together!Just wait to we play the bitters bet they won't be so accomodating! :D

I also think the fans seem like a decent bunch and it was nice to see that one of them mentioned truth day and agreed with the reasoning behind it.
They do bring some great players through but are not squeaky clean when it comes to pinching players, didnt they steal Jermaine Defoe from Charlton after he had been right through there youth set up ?
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:18 pm

thanks once again rafa-dodd, these oppo threads always make for interesting reading.

like its been said great bunch of fans, honest, polite and passionate. its gonna be a tough game on tues, were gonna have to have our heads screwed on properly for this one to avoid a slip up against a team desperate for a win.
CarlosRocks

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 pm

West Ham were bad today.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion