The oppo:  watford  (a)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I know many of you frequent RAWK and other Liverpool sites and I spotted something most other forums do. They visit other forums of the teams they are playing and get their views on the match and other football issues. RAWK's version is called the "Spyin Kop". Its quite informative and a nice little insight into their views etc.
  I have decided to start it, I don't know how helpful or interesting it will be but at least its a start. This one is not very big as I only had 2 days to do it, but my Chelsea one for next week is coming on very nicely indeed.

Any feedback, much appreciated:

(I could not think of a catchy name so "The Oppo" it is!)

------------------------------------------------------------

Watford FC

League Position:  20th

Current Home Form:   W D L D L W

Top Scorer: A.Young  21 games, 4 goals

Recent encounters between the teams:
2006/2007 Sat 23 Dec Liverpool 2 - 0 Watford PREM
2004/2005 Tue 25 Jan Watford 0-1 Liverpool LGEC
2004/2005 Tue 11 Jan Liverpool 1 - 0 Watford LGEC
1999/2000 Sat 15 Jan Watford 2 - 3 Liverpool PREM
1999/2000 Sat 14 Aug Liverpool 0 - 1 Watford PREM
1987/1988 Sat 13 Feb Watford 1 - 4 Liverpool PREM
1987/1988 Tue 24 Nov Liverpool 4 - 0 Watford PREM

And now thanks to the chaps at www.gloryhorns.co.uk

First Question, 10 points off safety and languishing at the bottom of the Premier League, do you believe Watford can stay up?

Golden Glory: Yes, we have two games in hand which are both winnable games. Against Blackburn and Wigan, both at home. We've signed some strikers so in Hoskins and Ashikodi, with Collins John a very possible signing. Once the goals start banging in, we'll be fine.

Zenon: My heart says no. However, if our strikers can finally find the net and our work rate doesn't drop then who knows BUT it is a BIG ask,

What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one?

Golden Glory: I expected to give fight and stay up and I still feel the same

Zenon:  Not really. I didn't have expectations since i felt we didn't have the squad to stay up. It was a case of seeing what happens and enjoy the BIG matches etc

Who do you think is your most important player(s) so far this year? And also how big of a blow do you think Marlons injury was?

Golden Glory:  So far Bouazza has been our most important player, he's been the best of the bunch, lighting up the wing and showing some attacking promise. He's sure to be a very good Premiership player in the future. Marlon's injury was crippling to us, without him we have no real strikers, or had we've got some now. Some games looked like if we had a decent striker, we'd have won, Tottenham and Reading but to name a few.

Zenon:  Most important is Ben Foster, he's worth a goal agame in my opinion. Losing Marlon was like Liverpool losing Gerrard. Its that simple.

One player signs for Watford in January - who would you like it to be? Or which position should it be for?

Golden Glory:  Steven Gerrard. Realistically though, I'd like to see a decent left-back, either Paul Robinson or someone similar would be very good as we've looked a little shakey there.

Zenon: Any player? If so Ronaldinho from Barcelona. However, more realistically would be Paul Robinson from West Brom as our returning Saviour and new left back.

If you do go down, who would you like to take with you, and will you come straight back up?

Golden Glory:  I'd like to take everyone, especially Ashley Young who may go this month for around £9 million. I think our squad, with the players we currently have would be able to walk the Championship, we have the physical presence, skill and guile along with good striking options in King (when fit), Hoskins and Ashikodi.

Zenon: If we can keep hold of the majority of our young side then i believe we will be there or there abouts next season. However, may take 2 years or so to get promoted again. With Aidy Boothroyd in charge anything is possible.

If we go down then we should try and take Fulham and Charlton with us.

Your winners of the League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League this season are...?

Golden Glory:
League - Man United
FA Cup - Watford
League Cup - Wycombe
Champions League - Barcelona

Zenon:
League - Arsenal
FA Cup - Man United
League Cup - Arsenal
Champions League - Barcelona

Your views on our manager Rafa Benitez?

Golden Glory:  I think he's a decent manager, although I'm not too sure about his rotation system and whether you'd be better off with a first XI, no complaints. Apart from that though you do seem to be on a little bit of a bad run at the moment and he seems to be taking the brunt of the stick. I feel he's made a few very good signings, Alonso in particular is one of the best midfielders in the Premiership in my opinion. And obviously he did well what with the Champions League win.

Zenon:   As an outsider looking in... it used to be an honour to wear a liverpool shirt and you used to have to be special (Pre Souness era) and he needs to bring this back. He needs to play his best 11 every week.

If you could take one Liverpool player on loan till the end of the season - who and why?

Golden Glory:  Gerrard, passion, commitment, skill. World class. Although I do hear Crouch and Fowler aren't getting many games, wouldn't mind either of those two.

Zenon:  Stevie G. The guy is awesome and puts Fat Frank to shame.

If you're a regular matchgoer, what can we expect from the Watford atsmosphere? Noisy? Subdued?

Golden Glory:  It's ok, but may step-up to the 'big-game'. The Rookery is noisy, but a little bit too much 'sticks and face paint' for my liking. It's not an awful atmosphere but nothing special at all.

Zenon:  Noisyish from the Rookery. Happy Clappy type support mostly.

And would you like to predict the score for the newkit forum?

Golden Glory:  Watford 7.... Haha. In all honesty you're in the middle of a bad patch and hopefully we can capitalise on this, so I'm going to be a little cheeky and optimistic and go for:

Watford 1-0 Liverpool

Scorer: Ashley Young

Zenon: Watford 1 - 0 Liverpool
Ashikodi

-------------------------------------

Rafa-Dodd
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Good work Doddy lad, you have a new role I think on this forum.

You going tomorrow ? Any spares . . .
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Good work Doddy lad, you have a new role I think on this forum.

You going tomorrow ? Any spares . . .

Nah mate, can't justify spending it at the moment. Looking to the Barca away tie and the funds are low after Christmas anyway.

I could of gave you my ticket for it, but gone now.

PM us your number I lost my old phone and if I aint going I'll bell you for my ticket.

On "The Oppo" - I find it quite interesting what they have got to say. The Chelsea one is making for interesting reading already.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Good work mate...some much appreciated effort there.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:31 pm

Thats a good article that. Interesting to hear how fans of other clubs feel about us.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Well done Raffa mate!
Good idea that and interesting to read another fans veiw!

Big pat on the back for Raffa D! :D
66-1120597113

Postby Owzat » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:47 pm

We had a cr ap away run with Everton, Man Utd, Chelsea, Bolton and Arsenal in our first six away games which was the cause of much derision, but since then we've won three and drawn one. Watford have won one (home) game all season and I read they've picked up just THREE points since via draws. We should win, however if I see 3 CBs or some bizarre selection/tactics then I will fear a repeat of Blackburn.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:34 pm

very good post raffa-dodd, great idea & hopefully your enthusiasm will inspire a few more people on this forum to act like true & loyal fans instead of moaning all the time etc. a positive response is what is required from the team tommorow, & the fans going to the game aswell of which i"m sure both will be up for it! even a 1-0 win will do me, the result tomorrow is the prioity, & i"m confident we will bounce back tomorrow,as long as the lads play with the passion & belief i know they are caple of then morale will be back on track, as we know with raffa he looks to the "next game" as the most important & i couldn"t agree more! come on you mighty reds.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby timmit » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:38 pm

They have quite a few nice things to say about us which is good to hear, I wonder if you will get the same reaction from Chelsea??

If their predictions for the result come right though, we are in big trouble as NOTHING but 3 points in this game will be acceptable
We are the champions, champions of Europe
timmit

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks Lads - I'll carry it on from now on then. The Chelsea one is a bit spicy but thats what you would expect.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Liverpool - Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Gerrard, Aurelio, Alonso, Bellamy, Crouch, Kuyt. Subs - Dudek, Riise, Fowler, Guthrie, Pennant.

Good team, very attacking
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:07 pm

My money is on us shaping up like this:

Reina

Carragher  Hyypia  Agger
Finnan                                    Aurelio   

Gerrard  Alonso

Kuyt                      Bellamy
                      Crouch

Subs:

Fowler
Pennant
Guthrie
Riise
Dudek

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Fantastic post Rafa D, Nice to read something informative it's rear nowadays :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:09 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:My money is on us shaping up like this:

Reina

Carragher  Hyypia  Agger
Finnan                                    Aurelio   

Gerrard  Alonso

Kuyt                      Bellamy
                      Crouch

Subs:

Fowler
Pennant
Guthrie
Riise
Dudek

I agree with you there CHL.

Very attacking minded for Rafa though. Hoepfully we will bang a few in early here. Watford are a hard team to break down though so should be interesting.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:14 pm

I think we can expect Gerrard to sit deep today so the onus will be on the wing backs to get forward and take a chance once in a while at the back post like Aurelio did against Arsenal when he missed that volley. It will be interesting to see how things go with Crouch being the focal point with both Kuyt and Bellamy buzzing around and providing the movement.

Bench does look a bit week though, if were in trouble not much to call on, it really shows when you have 5 midfielders injured.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion