The nightmare game - What you remember the most.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:50 am

Worst for me was the Arsenal title decider in 89 closely followed by FA Cup Final defeat at the hands of the mancs when Cantona scored.

I guess then its any game against Utd because we so often are on the wrong end of the result and given my extreme dislike of them its shattering  :no
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I think worst game for me was the Arsenal ,Micheal Thomas game broke my heart.

Another one though was against Forest in the European Cup

Shilton that night was magnificent
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:24 pm

A lot of the ones mentioned already in this thread but also a season or 2 back when we were knocked out of the Champions League by Benfica. One nil down from the first leg and we had them at home for the second. To be beat 2-0 and go out considering we were the defending champions really was hard to swallow.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Another game that stuck in my mind was from years ago. Wasnt so much of a nightmare game but a drownded rat one :laugh:
packed house . European game, the Heavans opened. game abandoned , But we all came back the next night for 50 pence, :laugh:
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:45 pm

1- Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 (the Michael Thomas game)
2- Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0 (FA Cup final)
3- Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 4 (FA Cup semi)
4- Liverpool 0 Manchester Utd 1 (FA Cup final)
5- AC Milan 2 Liverpool 1 (Champions League final)
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:43 am

I can't really complain about a game that happened before I was even old enough to fully understand football, so a lot of them were no more than 6 or 7 years old. But I really could not stand losing 3-0 to the Mancs
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 am

SundanceKid wrote:I can't really complain about a game that happened before I was even old enough to fully understand football, so a lot of them were no more than 6 or 7 years old. But I really could not stand losing 3-0 to the Mancs

I remember the famous 3-3 match against them when Nigel Clough scored a couple which got me to thinking for the best matches I remember but went the other way and went for the worst instead ! Chesterfield 4 - 4 Liverpool ! Istvan Kozma the hero ! Grim times indeed, also Spartak Moscow 4 - 2 Liverpool, Grobelaar sent off Staunton in goal, miserable day that one, I had started a work experience doo dah at school were I worked at Halifax Building Society for 2 weeks, I had to wear girls trousers because my trousers were ripped from playing footy on the school tennis court, I didnt have a bloody clue what I was doing being my first day there, it was throwing it down that day and had to walk home. The one saving grace was that the match was on for when I got home.....I probably had nightmares that night also ! Such was the way the day went !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:38 am

Ace Ventura wrote:Obviously like most will say the league decider with Arsenal in 89 was one of them, i was about 10 and cried after that match.

I was 19, Ace and even I bawled by eyeballs out when Thomas scored.... Deffo the worst memory for me.
ConnO'var

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:09 am

1997 Chelsea 4 Liverpool 2 we were 2-0 up and literally flying Fowler and Collymore had put us in front and Stevie Mc could have had at least 3, I remember thinking we should be out of sight by now .
Then hughes was introduced and the glaring ineptitude of Matteo and co,was made all to apparent ,and he and Zola took turns in frightening the life out of our shaky back four .The fact we had been invited up as guests of our Chelsea mad boss was made worse as it was possible we were the only Scousers in the Shed End, and he took great delight watching us shrink into our Peter Storms .4-2 and the start of much gloating from a terribly bubbly Cockney  :(
Last edited by redbeergoggles on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:39 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:1- Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 (the Michael Thomas game)
2- Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0 (FA Cup final)
3- Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 4 (FA Cup semi)
4- Liverpool 0 Manchester Utd 1 (FA Cup final)
5- AC Milan 2 Liverpool 1 (Champions League final)

No.2 still hurts but the wounds are healing after witnessing those seriously bad specs Lawrie Sanchez has been sporting of late . :)
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:00 am

Kharhaz wrote:Now I was going to start a "What is your favourite game" LFC have been involved in but then I started to think of the stinkers LFC have been involved in and thought this would be better.

Euros are almost over and boredom is kicking in so im trying to rekindle horrible memories here !

One of the worst ones for me was when Liverpool lost to Grimsby in a cup match. Being a Liverpool supporter all my life, and living in Grimsby. Normally the "banter" (wee wee taking) ends after a couple of days but nope. This went on for months. Everyday while I was working there were constant micky taking, photos, news articles (especially from the rag to rub it in even more the b*stards) all taped to the wall to remind me !

What is your nightmare game of the mighty reds that still haunts you to this day?

you live in grimsby, no wonder theres a smell of fish  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:18 am

worst game for me was when we beat Palace 9-0. I soooooo much wanted us to reach double figures but we only managed 9. :(  gutted
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:39 am

Lee J wrote:worst game for me was when we beat Palace 9-0. I soooooo much wanted us to reach double figures but we only managed 9. :(  gutted

then we lost to them 4-3 in the fa cup  :(
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:54 am

Losing cup finals, semi finals and losing to Manure 3-0.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 4ORDY » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:36 am

Liverpool 0 Arsenal 2 - For the league.... The 3 - 6 league cup against Arsenal was pretty painful as the first fixture was called off by fog & I drove up from Devon which as you know is a few miles away, but not to be put off I travel up once agian the next wk & was'nt to happy when we were 5 - 1 down at half time.... let alone full

??? :;):
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."
4ORDY

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion