The leaving of anfield - ...and the new genesis

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:44 am

I feel its time to open fresh discussion on these matters, now that details are about to start filtering through over the proposals for Liverpool's new home....long gone is the speculation and intrigue. Now before us, stands a period of transition, the scale of which will impact many, many people. Both old and young, not least the memories of the lost souls who's tragic impact were felt upon us all.  A new beginning is about to become reality; a second heralding of this clubs fortunes for generations to come:  I apologise beforehand to those who might dismiss this new thread. I think its gone way beyond that point of no return though, and new blood needs to come into the debate;

Liverpool planning to complete new stadium for 2009-10 season

Oliver Kay - The Times DEC. 14th 2006

As Steven Gerrard joined Rick Parry, the Liverpool chief executive, in singing the praises of the club’s prospective new owners yesterday, it emerged that the captain could be leading out his team at a new 60,000-capacity stadium on Stanley Park within 2½ years.

With Dubai International Capital (DIC), the private- equity investment arm of the Arab state, and its banker, JPMorgan, continuing to scrutinise the club’s accounts as part of the due diligence process, Liverpool are understood to be close to awarding a contract for the construction of the new stadium. It is rumoured that the company in question is Laing O’Rourke plc, which built the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and the City of Manchester Stadium, and the plan is that work on the Stanley Park site, barely quarter of a mile from Anfield, could begin by March, with Liverpool to relocate in time for the start of the 2009-10 season.

The speed of progress has delighted the Liverpool board, which has been unstinting in its commitment to the stadium project. The new stadium is also highly attractive to DIC, which regards the construction as crucial to future revenue streams, although it is not clear whether it will consider selling the name of the stadium, as Parry has hinted the club may be forced to do.

Parry reiterated his confidence in DIC yesterday — adding his belief that David Moores, the club’s chairman, would stay as part of the new regime — while Gerrard expressed similar sentiments after being encouraged by an informal meeting the squad had with Sameer al-Ansari, DIC’s chief executive, as he attended the 4-0 victory over Fulham on Saturday.

“I think the future is bright,” Gerrard said. “There has been a lot of talk in the media about the takeover and I’ve been fortunate enough to meet the people who are going to be taking over. I’m very excited. They assured me and the rest of the players that the club is going to be in safe hands.

“The first thing they said was they were very interested in making sure that the club was going to be very successful on and off the pitch. That’s what we wanted to hear. I think the players share the same feelings as the fans.

“The fans have been reading the same things as I’ve been reading and they’ve got every right to be excited. Having met them, I’m even more excited now because I’ve heard their thoughts face to face.”

Parry, while eager to dispel the notion that DIC would approach its investment as Roman Abramovich has his ownership of Chelsea, was similarly upbeat in an interview with the club magazine. “We always look forward with a focus on the challenges ahead, not least the new stadium and the need to get on with that rapidly,” Parry said. “In that sense it is a proposal not without risk, but we are all very excited about the long-term future of the club and hope we have found an ideal partner.

“We are focused on success, but we want a club that will not be ludicrously profligate. It is not just about throwing money at a challenge — that is not a sound long-term strategy. It is not about being a rich man’s plaything. It is about taking Liverpool FC to the next level and securing the future of the club for the next hundred years.

“The most important aspect of our heritage is success and winning trophies. That is the thing that matters most to everyone who follows Liverpool and that will always remain the focus.”

the countdown is on people.. its with a heavy tinge of insecurity and sadness, when you take on board the full implications of this article and look at it, at face value...like some kind of impending doomsday on the horizon. Its going to happen, nothing will stop the sands of time sweeping in and obliterating the bricks and mortar of this enigmatic, mystical - crumbling old stadium. One thats filled to the brim with the echoes of laughter, tears, joy, sadness, unbridled ecstasy, the colourful characters and so many cherished memories through time immemorial.......How hard, the leaving of the old Anfield will be... Poignantly painful, the sound of the iron Shankly/Paisley gates, clanking shut for the last time on a dynasty of pride and triumphant heritage......its really going to happen folks, here is page one of the blue-print.  In 3 or 4 years time many will share their fondest recollections of old, on the terraces/stands and corporate sponsored ramparts of the new....and children and fathers, their fathers too, will enter an embryonic, bright golden phase in the clubs history, embracing the uncomfortable, shiny surroundings for their own...and in a hundred years..the echoes will still whisper through the wind, The Ghosts of Shanks, with his gritty determined face, of Bob smiling and his old flat cap. Heighway galloping down the line, Souness - all fiery and embattled...King Kenny's wizardry and Clem, with hands like shovels...of Rushie destroying the best laid plans.. of Diggers sublime trickery and Terrymacs header....Beardsley slamming home off the underside of the bar...of Aldo's farewell.

The flowers,scarves and sentimental paraphernalia adorning each and every blade of hallowed turf. The memorial to the fallen, so disregarded by the despicable, bellyaching proletariat, the Media.... They will speak of 'Going back to italy' of St.etienne, of Roma and Ged's mosaic.  Stevies late breathtaking winner... Then Chelsea - all crying and wailing with weak injustice against a Massive wall of sound from the Giant Spion Kop.....singing and pouring their hearts out like warriors on the way to war in the enchanting eastern lands.....The homecoming -The cups... so many flags, banners and happy faces.. And fresh events will happen, new and exciting chapters will unfold to be chronicled and cast in stone....tales to be told over again to young spring-like ears, eager for a flavour of what it means to be told why their Daddy is a Red....They say the darkest hour is before the Dawn. Well. Here's to the Sun rising and illuminating the path to a new era born before us all....its sad to say goodbye, maybe it shouldnt be a true parting of the ways. But a declaration, of a tired looking old phoenix - thats about to usurp all before it again - absorb all the energy from the dying embers of past glory fields, pastures where blood and sweat were generously given...reclaim its wings in flight and go on to, once more  "Dominate the bloody world" - YNWA

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:01 am

It will be sad for LFC to leave such an awesome place, but the last season can be a celebration. Look at what Arsenal did for their last season at Highbury. Retro-kit among many different commerations. LFC will do the same. We have achieved far more than they have. A whole year to salute Anfield and much hope for the future in that amazing new stadium.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:10 am

It will be sad to leave Anfeild, but it's just a building bricks and steal etc.
The thing that makes Anfeild so speacial are the memorys and they will never leave us, we will never forget the goals the emotions the laugher the tears, these things will stay with us as we move on to a new exciting era.
I think things like the stankley gates and statue, the hillsbourgh momorial and the this is anfield sign will take there place in the new stadium ( i hope so away)
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:16 am

They'll take everything from the old stadium that matters.

Gates, signs, memorials, etc...

They are only moving 300 yards after all.

As opposed to Everton, who are moving to Wrexham or something.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:23 am

aswell as the championship :D
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:32 am

Sad, sad day.

Doesn't even bear thinking about. :(

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:47 am

why what happened lando you can talk to me :)
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Red_lass » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:50 am

A bittersweet moment when the time comes. Memories of old will linger but it time to make new ones as well. But before that happen i must step into the old ground before they tore it down.
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 am

Can you imagine how :censored: it must be to be a Wigan or Boro fan and move grounds?

I mean, when LFC move to the new stadium, all those trophies have to be moved.

When a :censored: team moves stadiums, they basically just take the knives and forks.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 am

atleast thats some silverware lol
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 pm

Red_lass wrote:A bittersweet moment when the time comes. Memories of old will linger but it time to make new ones as well. But before that happen i must step into the old ground before they tore it down.

wtf  ???   who's that for the benefit of lass...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Crouchamania » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:56 am

Let's not forget it IS 2 and a half years away. Instead of thinking what the new stadium will be like, let's enjoy Anfield's final 3 season's while we can (and hope we beat them bloomin Mancs there 1 last time in the league).
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion