The italian job - Half time

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:13 am

Glorious European Nights figure prominently in Liverpool's history and I've just returned from another fantastic night at the field of dreams.

On an emotional and highly charged game we saw the two sides of LFC or how do you explain how Liverpool played like a European Side in the first half and a premiership side second half.  :Oo:

Liverpool tore Juventus apart in the first 30 minutes snapping away at Juventus's seemingly impregnable defence, winning the first and the second ball.

Players like Le Tellac ran themselves into the ground for the cause and his departure deserved the standing ovation it got.

Players like Baros need to take a long hard look at themselves after a toothless and non committed performance but thankfuly he was the exception !

One wonders whether Hamann instead of Biscan might have steadied the ship in the second half when Juve decided to play and play to their obvious ability.

1-0 might have been preferable over 2-1 but then we would have missed that glorious Garcia Strike and what a goal that was. Worth the entrance fee alone to see that !

LFC are 90 minutes from teh Semi Final and if tonights game proved anything it was surely that we no longer fear anyone in thsi competition   :)

Walk on ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:18 am

agree 100%. if naything we have proven that we can cut it with the big boys and deseve our spot in the last 8.

Are you watching? Are you watching? Are you watching Manchester?
:D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:22 am

ian, once again in envy you for having been there. especially for the garcia goal and the sound of the kop in full flow.

my only real question is over benitez taking off all our strikers. its not the first time he's done it. even though we're winning 2-1 and goals have come from midfield i still belive its imprtant to have at least one real striker on the pitch.

regardless, i'm fookin made up with the performance tonight.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:29 am

Hi Andy. I wasn't surprised that Baros was removed frrom the game as he was ineffective and to be honesta  constanst source of frustration to the fans . In a different way in wasn't surprised when Le Tellac was taken off cos he was dead on his feet after running his ollies off !

Alongside Hyppia , Le Tellac was probably our best player but at 2-1 the need to protect what we had and that seemed to kick in for Benitez as I'm sure he is confidant we can score in Turin :)

Some fans have forgotten this Juve team have conceded 2 goals in the WHOLE of this years tournament so to score twice was no small achievement .......

The first goal in Turin will be crucial. Juve score first and you can be sure they wil shut up shop for the night , Liverpool score first and I believe we will go through .........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:34 am

i take your point. i missed the whole 1st half for various reasons ( :angry:  ) but heard that baros had been working hard and causing probs. i thought he'd been taken off because he stil has a bit of calf strain. and of course le tallec is below full match fitness.

but my own undeveloped managerial instincts would persuade me to leave at least one recognised striker on the field at all times. i believe it would improve the self belief of the team when going forward - knowing there was a 'natural' goalscorer/poacher/whatever waiting to get on the end of balls in the box. it must be hard to play confident attacking football if you know there is no attacker...

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:38 am

Dalglish wrote:The first goal in Turin will be crucial. Juve score first and you can be sure they wil shut up shop for the night , Liverpool score first and I believe we will go through .........

defo.

I think we should take the game to them like we did Today and go for that first goal, if we get it we will go through.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:39 am

amen that!

:)

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:51 am

It is a fantastic result, despite giving away a precious goal, as our weakened and makeshift team faced one fo the best defensive team in top flight European club football.

Whatever happens in the return leg, we should be proud fans as this makeshift Liverpool team has done tremendously well despite all the setbacks - lack of strikers, injured key players, uncommitted "passenger" players etc.

Well done lads, walk on...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:51 am

Probably being a  little harsh on Baros Andy as he did cause Juve some problems in the first half but I suppose like the team as an attacking force faded in the second half.

And your point regarding confidence when leaving a recognized striker on the pitch may have some weight but when you look at the goalscorers in the last 6 or so games its the MIDFIELDERS who are actually finding the net and not the strikers so confidence must be sky high particularly after tonights result :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:53 am

and all this without Morientes, Cisse, Alonso, Hamann, Pongolle and Kewell (no great loss) makes it even more exceptional.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:06 am

with alonso coming back for the next leg we have a real shot at making it to the semi-finals.  :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:10 am

Dalglish wrote:Probably being a  little harsh on Baros Andy as he did cause Juve some problems in the first half but I suppose like the team as an attacking force faded in the second half.

And your point regarding confidence when leaving a recognized striker on the pitch may have some weight but when you look at the goalscorers in the last 6 or so games its the MIDFIELDERS who are actually finding the net and not the strikers so confidence must be sky high particularly after tonights result :)

I agree with you about Baros, he was poor in the second-half, as our only striker he should be scoring more goals. He wanted us to draw Juventus and I was hoping for him to score but he was disapointing despite all the running he did.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:11 am

What a great goal from Garcia world class the boys looking
good and i reckon we will reach the semis

A Great night for all us Liverpool supporters :D
66-1112520797

Postby laza » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:38 am

Was a great result all things considered and really does show that we should be in this competition every season
What ever happens in turin my expectations have certainly been reached and exceeded far more then i expected
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am

LFC #1 wrote:
Dalglish wrote:The first goal in Turin will be crucial. Juve score first and you can be sure they wil shut up shop for the night , Liverpool score first and I believe we will go through .........

defo.

I think we should take the game to them like we did Today and go for that first goal, if we get it we will go through.

That certainly worked for us against Bayer though different and we did have a two goal cushion
Though i cant see us successfully defending for the whole 90 minutes so it will probably be best option
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion