The international break?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Was watching thing about Brian Clough few nights ago it was fantastic now I was very young when that guy was in his prime so I didn't know alot about him but what a fantastic manager.

Now I can only speak about us english fans but would we all feel different about england if he had got the job back in days I am sure england would have performed with alot more passion nowa days then they do now.

Not saying players don't try nowa days but he was the type of manager you wanted to play for and england team is crying out for a manager like that nowa days.

We talk about top 10 greatest managers he would have to have been in my top 3 of all time I am sorry I wasn't around to see him in his prime.

I think he seriously tainted his reputation with his remarks about Hillsborough and Liverpool fans ,it took far to long for the man to make an apology  :veryangry

Yeah well no one is perfect he wasn't the nicest fella around but as a manager he knew his stuff and players wanted to play for him its all was saying the manager side of him.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Try putting his name alongside Liverpool fans into Google ,and you may just get a sense of the depth of hatred there is for this man ,it took him 12 years to finally retract his statements ,it will take the people of Liverpool thrice that ,and thats a maybe
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:25 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Try putting his name alongside Liverpool fans into Google ,and you may just get a sense of the depth of hatred there is for this man ,it took him 12 years to finally retract his statements ,it will take the people of Liverpool thrice that ,and thats a maybe

Like I said I was talking about him in a managers sense not a person sense but any yeah I don't agree with what he said of course but he was very brash out spoken person and prob had many regrets in his life like we all do.  :(
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:57 am

Anyone else think there is a major conflict of interest with Guus Hiddink managing a player on Arsenal and Tottenham while he is coaching Russia?  What if those two clubs were battling Chelsea for a champions league spot? What if Guus had performance bonus' on the line for Chelsea?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 am

JoeTerp wrote:Anyone else think there is a major conflict of interest with Guus Hiddink managing a player on Arsenal and Tottenham while he is coaching Russia?  What if those two clubs were battling Chelsea for a champions league spot? What if Guus had performance bonus' on the line for Chelsea?

I think it's a bad idea too. Most of the problems between clubs and F.A. simply occur because each side seeks to defend their interests, which most often than not are incompatible.

BTW I've read in the Spanish press that Capello has been "educating" , "his" players at the England squad, and apparently asked to Rooney something in the lines of "WTF are you doing punching corner flags? you're crazy, sir".  :laugh:

I wonder if the managers of the clubs will like those "educating" remarks to their players.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:06 pm

The thing I hate most about the International break is everything stands still domestically. The top flight don't play for two weeks, the Championship now have so many Internationals they don't play, so you're without any real football for a whole two weeks.

I don't see why the Championship should ALL take the break, if they lose less than four or five players well then that's the risk associated with signing players who are Internationals. If they can't field a sixteen of reasonable quality without the International players then the FA could let them postpone. I've played as lower division clubs on older footy management games and coped without International players called up, even with my star signings missing I've done ok. I know it's a price I pay for signing Internationals, you reap the rewards most of the time and suffer the consequences the rest.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:13 pm

Sabre wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Anyone else think there is a major conflict of interest with Guus Hiddink managing a player on Arsenal and Tottenham while he is coaching Russia?  What if those two clubs were battling Chelsea for a champions league spot? What if Guus had performance bonus' on the line for Chelsea?

I think it's a bad idea too. Most of the problems between clubs and F.A. simply occur because each side seeks to defend their interests, which most often than not are incompatible.

BTW I've read in the Spanish press that Capello has been "educating" , "his" players at the England squad, and apparently asked to Rooney something in the lines of "WTF are you doing punching corner flags? you're crazy, sir".  :laugh:

I wonder if the managers of the clubs will like those "educating" remarks to their players.

What beggars belief is the fiasco with Ledley King. Good defender, not that often fit and often out with injury. If he were a top notch defender, better than anyone else available then fair enough, but he's not head and shoulders better than fitter alternatives. So why pick him?

Then flip it round, take maybe the only quality goalscoring striker England have and he too is injured quite often. BUT he IS much better than alternatives, and even if he doesn't start he is worth risking on the bench. So why doesn't Cappello pick him?

It's not Liverpool bias towards the player, it's the fact that Crouch, Bent, Heskey and most other alternatives are never going to be as good as Owen. Despite being injured quite a lot, Owen still scores when fit which makes you wonder why Cappello would pick a crocked CB in King who's no better than Upson etc, but won't pick a less crocked CF in Owen who's head and shoulders above the rest in goalscoring rather than height.

It's a shame Carra was mucked about so much previously, if the big clubs want to preserve their precious players why don't they persuade them (£££) to 'retire' ? Scholes 'retirement' coincided with his new contract as I recall, not necessarily interrelated but certainly neat timing.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm

King is a far better player than Upson mate, he shouldnt have been selected as he cant train never mind play a couple of games in a week.
But when he plays he is one of the best about, Upson imo is average and only gets selected as he is a left footer.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:14 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:King is a far better player than Upson mate, he shouldnt have been selected as he cant train never mind play a couple of games in a week.
But when he plays he is one of the best about, Upson imo is average and only gets selected as he is a left footer.

I threw in Upson because he seems to be flavour of the month, I don't rate him much either. So maybe bad example, but you get the gist.

Do you think Jagielka is somewhat over-rated? Not just because he's a bitter
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Owzat wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:King is a far better player than Upson mate, he shouldnt have been selected as he cant train never mind play a couple of games in a week.

I threw in Upson because he seems to be flavour of the month, I don't rate him much either. So maybe bad example, but you get the gist.

Do you think Jagielka is somewhat over-rated? Not just because he's a bitter

I have watched Jagielka loads this season for Everton and he has been really good, looked the business.
But when he has stepped in for England he has really struggled.
He also really struggled against some of the bigger sides last season.
I remember him making an awful mistake when Arsenal won at goodison last season and eduardo had a simple goal...just off a long ball over the top it was.

I genuinley dont know if he is good enough.

Back to the international break, i also hate them, tomorrows england friendly is the most annoying as i have no interest in it whatsoever.
At least with the wed game its a qualifier so it carries some importance.

We are all praying that one of our players doesnt suffer an injury, especially Torres with his record of getting injuries for Spain.

What i will say is, with Vidic and Rooney suspended united would also be very worried if they lost either Ferdinand or Ronaldo to injury as Villa at home might not be as easy as we made it look last weekend.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Sammi has had a good game for Finland an Littmanen still oozes class , I loved him then an i still love watching him play now. Genius with the ball
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Littmanen still oozes class - Genius with the ball

:;):

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:23 pm

red37 wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Littmanen still oozes class - Genius with the ball

:;):

Had me drooling Red to think what he could of done for us.

Side note here . im not being nasty like but i hope Skrtel knocks that fat little s.ite rooney out .does him some damage anyway :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Heskey scores , lovely play by stevie . Heskye just got infront of skrtel . Rooney's playing well
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:31 pm

heskey off injured after 14 minutes
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion