The health of the forum. - New threads and posts.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:48 am

I was bang busy at work yesterday and couldn't post, so I logged on this morning to find this utter shambles. I know this will probably get deleted but new members and old must surely realise that filling up the forum with one-liners, smileys, repeat threads and ill-thought out tosh just ruins the place as a discussion group. I've never been one to give people a hard time as rule but when you haven't been on for a day or two you log on and just can't be bothered to read through all the threads.
When you do reply, you like to think that you consider what you are going to write and then stick it down. All that then happens is that some toolpiece posts up a reply which is in no way shape or form related to your point and the whole thing gets lost in a sea of nonsense. What we have on here at the moment is either a bunch of retarded individuals who can't see what they're doing, deliberate spammers or a combination of the two. I think it's time to act against them. At the moment it's only the abusive who get banned, I think we should broaden that onto the stupid. One ridulous post or new thread which is a repeat gets a warning, two a yellow then three gets a one month ban.
Someone's got to do something surely?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:23 am

100% agree.And no starting new threads if there is a similar thread on the same page first.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:27 am

Its just hard when we have 12 year olds on the forum, we don't want to dampen their enthusiasm by slating them however you're right it is a bit messy which to a degree I am at fault as well.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 am

i would agree stu_the_red put up a post about yesterdays game allready 1 up makes you wonder do people read what is on the forum ???
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 am

the health of the forum is an issue that comes up on a fairly regular basis, at about the same that there is a wave of rubbish threads, smileys and one liners. there was the time just after the CL final when it was awful, then during our bad-ish run earlier this season, and now that we're good again. basically anytime that we're not plain average there is a surge of tripe all over the forum. but the god times always come rolling back.

and i know what you mean, mick, when you talk about seeing good and thoughtful replies swallowed up in a see of rubbish or the interesting thread hurtling down the page faster than a certain neighboring football club.

its really difficult to say what to do though. many of the one line or repeat threads are, i'm guessing, started by much younger members who are really keen to be involved in discussion. we can't ban them for having the natural inclinations and limitations of a 12 or 13 year old, we need to somehow fuel that enthusiasm. maybe the best way is for us more established members to set the good example.

but herein maybe lies another problem. there is, i feel, a real status issue on this forum. the whole elite member thing - i'm beginning to think - can cause its own problems. many new members seem to try to get to the magical 100 posts mark as soon as they can to get their elite badge. i'd prefer them to look at an example like john craig - countless excellent posts and his name is still in green.

and finally, stu - i understand your issue but when you go spamming the board like that to make your point you're doing more harm than good.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:02 pm

well said andy_g have you read the threads stu_the_red put on the forum last night  ??? he would murder any 1 for that ok for him to put :censored: up tho nobody says any thing 4 :censored: posts :no
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:03 pm

Gotta agree, I didn't post yesterday but every thread I've seen so far has been b0ll0cks :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:36 pm

what i will say they is certain clicks on this forum, no matter what is put up as in a post certain people will defend them even if that thread is total rubbish which last night in the early hours proves what :censored: can be called threads :no
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 pm

all we need to do is ignore the repeats. Those of us with an IQ over 50 will see which ones they are and we just ignore them. Dont even post in them saying they are pointless. send them to coventry. Then we can carry on with the proper threads. only way this can work if u ask me...

oh, and stu, we get the point, starting threads is annoying :laugh:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:47 pm

well said dawson99 :grinning:
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:25 pm

well the ones who enter a post that they consider to be both measured and thought-provoking and something actually to do with the title they've given it....have the luxury of using the advanced debate forum  ???

the answer to that is hardly any of us do.

its little wonder then that before you get to any point of relevance you have to trawl through all the c.rap. and in doing so leaves little inspiration to 'debate' anything substantial.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Poolinc. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:30 pm

I agree about the threads! Too many about the same topic, which is a pain in the butt! "The Liverpool Transfer" thread was a good idea cos it kept all rumours in the one box rather than thread after thread after thread! Having said that, this forum is superb, as forums go! I'm a member of other forums to keep an eye on players from my home town, or who played with my local team ala Kevin Doyle and Stephen Long (Reading), Stephen Ireland (Man City) and of course, various Man U (keane) forums (banned from all these:D ) but this is by far the best forum with the most intelligent, football savvy posters (in general)! Like the team, we just need to tighten things up a small bit to keep it the best!
Poolinc.

Postby Mikz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:11 pm

If another thred is started by mistake then we should all know not to post in it  :) Then the mods can sort it.
I cant complain about the forum-the variety,the humour and scorn lol -its like the team -second to none.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:20 pm

bigmick wrote:I was bang busy at work yesterday and couldn't post, so I logged on this morning to find this utter shambles. I know this will probably get deleted but new members and old must surely realise that filling up the forum with one-liners, smileys, repeat threads and ill-thought out tosh just ruins the place as a discussion group. I've never been one to give people a hard time as rule but when you haven't been on for a day or two you log on and just can't be bothered to read through all the threads.
When you do reply, you like to think that you consider what you are going to write and then stick it down. All that then happens is that some toolpiece posts up a reply which is in no way shape or form related to your point and the whole thing gets lost in a sea of nonsense. What we have on here at the moment is either a bunch of retarded individuals who can't see what they're doing, deliberate spammers or a combination of the two. I think it's time to act against them. At the moment it's only the abusive who get banned, I think we should broaden that onto the stupid. One ridulous post or new thread which is a repeat gets a warning, two a yellow then three gets a one month ban.
Someone's got to do something surely?

well said Mick,
We all like a bit of fun now and again but in the right context.I spend alot of time on here and biggest part of the threads i cannot bother to post in as they have either been repeated or are just a pile of rubbish.It comes to a point when general chat becomes the place that most posts are made because the standard of threads in liverpool discussion are so poor.
I often find myself taking new posters or idiots to hand and giving them what for, not because i'm a mean sob but because of pure frustration and it gets my back up.
So heres to hoping that true Liverpool fc debate continues and people give thought about what they are posting and general chat / fun and games remains where it should be in general chat.
Otherwise i might have to continue being a right :censored: where complete tools are concerned 
:laugh:
and i for one could do without my blood pressure being raised  :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:22 pm

Big Mick for Mod!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion