The health of the forum. - New threads and posts.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:19 pm

andy_g wrote:i take your points, rushie and sabre. but i think that newbies will try to achieve the necessary number of posts as quickly as possible by posting whatever comes into their head. i've seen it happen with newbies trying to get their post count up as fast as they can to try and apply for 'elite' status.

in fact, the more i think about it the more i'm inclined to say that the status implied by elite membership and post count may be doing more harm than good...

I see where you're coming from andy but the whole idea would work on the QUALITY of the newbies posts. The mods know what sort of standard the posts on the forum should be upto and if they feel a newbie has just posted a load of bollox just to get to the magic number then they won't be given access to starting threads.
This is all based on whether the mods would have the time and resources to review these things so it might not be workable only they will know.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:27 pm

JBG wrote:In fairness to Stu with regard to Sabre, I do recollect that last week he remarked that Sabre's English was excellent and he was a good poster.

For the record, I'd also like to echo that: Sabre is a top class member. He has an interesting perspective, in that he knows Benitez well from his La Liga days, and also knows Alonso, Josemi, Reina, Pellegrino, Sissoko, Morientes, Nunez, Garcia etc from their Spanish careers. To me, a member what that kind of knowledge is priceless.

As for text speak and over use of block capitals, in other forums the use of these are banned as being bad internet ethiquette.

I actually read that as Sabre is a top class midfielder... :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:38 pm

Sabre wrote:Well Andy, a Premium Member might be more than having a nice liverbird on your posts...

AFAICT the people who give the premium membership do not give it cheaply, so a poster of junk hardly could get the premium membership

A not premium member could only post a reply to an existing thread, and this would encourage them to read the whole thread in order they can add something that still hasn't been raised

In addition to this.I find that many newbies (not directed at anyone in particular) come and do one line posts or do a post containing nothing but a smiley. In this case it means that all people have to do is do 100 smileys and they've got a premium membership.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:46 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
JBG wrote:In fairness to Stu with regard to Sabre, I do recollect that last week he remarked that Sabre's English was excellent and he was a good poster.

For the record, I'd also like to echo that: Sabre is a top class member. He has an interesting perspective, in that he knows Benitez well from his La Liga days, and also knows Alonso, Josemi, Reina, Pellegrino, Sissoko, Morientes, Nunez, Garcia etc from their Spanish careers. To me, a member what that kind of knowledge is priceless.

As for text speak and over use of block capitals, in other forums the use of these are banned as being bad internet ethiquette.

I actually read that as Sabre is a top class midfielder... :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Football on the brain Stu!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:47 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
Sabre wrote:Well Andy, a Premium Member might be more than having a nice liverbird on your posts...

AFAICT the people who give the premium membership do not give it cheaply, so a poster of junk hardly could get the premium membership

A not premium member could only post a reply to an existing thread, and this would encourage them to read the whole thread in order they can add something that still hasn't been raised

In addition to this.I find that many newbies (not directed at anyone in particular) come and do one line posts or do a post containing nothing but a smiley. In this case it means that all people have to do is do 100 smileys and they've got a premium membership.

No, they still have to ask us and the webmaster still has to activate them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't think i agree with that.

I know that a few members on here had decent first posts and i doubt everyone that comes will be a tosser.
115-1073096938

Postby Sabre » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:55 pm

I know that a few members on here had decent first posts and i doubt everyone that comes will be a :censored:.

So what, all that decent members would probably have the patience to post in threads that already exist (and the thing is not raised he can suggest to discuss it in one existing thread).

If you want to put it this way, simply, look at the threads that are candidate for worst thread of the year, and see if the author is premium member or not.

Yes, Judge creates weird threads from time to time, but it's easier to control Judge than lots of young newbies! :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:58 pm

You crack me up. :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:06 pm

drummerphil wrote:
shanks wrote:stu i myself have taken a lot of stick off you, some of it lies but you might not think so,you yourself have made some awfull posts not just last night i am on about in the past, every body is different some people give 1 liners some like to debate in depth like your self which can make some intresting reading, but it dosnt give you the right to slang members off like you do, you are a member like every body else we all make mistakes you and me included, this is what makes a forum freedom of speech the right to comment to post not to be slanged off every time people post, i know you have done this to other members on here you try to stir things up to much,to the point you try to get moderators on your side, i my self just would just like to enjoy this forum for what it is a liverpool fc forum we are all the same liverpool supportors so lets drop this for once and for all, we dont have to agree or like each other it is only dragging this fantastic forum down so please stop slanging me off and stiring up trouble lets just get on with posting ok stu, ps dont pm unless constructive comments and not slander, happy posting stu

hello shanks,dont think we have spoken before........maybe we have  ???
For someone who has been around a week or less you have an awful lot to say regarding postings from "the past" and in particular postings and stick you have had in "stus past" on here...........who are you mate and what were you called before.

so i'm the only one then who thinks it is rather odd how someone who has been here a week can state such things............maybe i'm seeing more than their is then................call me sherlock  :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Piorot! :D
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Gaunt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:29 pm

No i was thinking the same Phil, he seems to have a bit of a vendetta against Stu and an awfully high post count seeing as he is only here a week or so?
Gaunt

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:30 pm

I think it is somewhat unavoidable that in an environment where we positively want opinion and the freedom to express there is going to be a huge range in quality. I am not a prolific poster and while like to stick my two penneth in on occasion I like to read more. I enjoy the vast majority and just tend to ignore the rest.
Is it annoying to have a good thread interupted by garbage? Well I guess so,  but can I live with it so ensuring a varied and interesting forum? Well I guess I have to.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:23 am

stu_the_red wrote:Piorot! :D

that'll be poirot, miss marple :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:31 am

The whole issue of poor posting has mainly come to light since our champions league win. I agree with stu and we have both had our indifferences. That when a post is put up by one of our better posters, it sems to last for only about 8 replies and then it becomes like chinese whispers. The whole discussion turns on its axis and becomes totally irrellevant to the original post.

However, i believe that the rumour thread has been poorly managed. By having just the one thread, all the stories have become jumbled. I believe that we should have a rumour panel for possible transfers and then the kids and welsh can play fantasy football till their hearts are content. Leaving myself, (i believe) a good poster, and the the rest of the good ones to discuss matters that interest us. IE: Sabre's opinions on rafa, ballague etc. Stu's opinions on hyypia's pace, or lack of it which he believes he doesn't need anyway.

All in all, since the 25th may, sadly this forum has become quite boring and tiring for the older posters.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:54 am

It's probably an indication of how much people obviously enjoy and  care about this forum that this thread has been so heavily responded to.

It's ineviatable on what is after all a FREE service that you will get the odd numpty or two but on the whole it's a superb forum and creates the right mix of fact, opinion and a fair few laughs along the way.

We maybe guilty of taking ourselves a bit too seriously if you ask me.

have the guys who run this site ythought about introducinga nannual subscription cost ? Or is that not condusive to good sponsorship when your selling web averts etc....? Interested to know how the site is funded ?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion