The goalkeeping situation at the club - Because even i'm better than padelli...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Well Red » Sat May 26, 2007 3:58 pm

one thing which hasn't been discussed at all yet is the goalkeeping situation at the club. I don't think there's anyone here who seriously believes that Pepe won't be our first choice number one next season, mainly because he's been brilliant in the second half of the last year and I always feel confident with him between the sticks.

But... now that Dudek is leaving, what if Pepe were to pick up an injury that ruled him out of a couple of games?

If (and I imagine this will be the case) we pull out all the stops and make a couple of big name signings this Summer and are realistic about challenging for the title next season, then having to play Padelli in goal for a few games - who is as laughable as a panto villain - is going to cost us what could prove to be vital points. United have Foster and Van der Sar who will put in top class performances throughout the season whenever given the opportunity, and Chelsea have Cudicini who's top class as well as prepared to sit on the bench week in week out picking up large paychecks. We cannot leave such a crucial position down to only Pepe and hope he goes a whole season injury-free.

Carson would be a brilliant reserve keeper, but I really don't think he'll want to stay as our number two for too long - especially as being a first teamer would put him in serious contention for the number one jersey for England, a position that's far from secure for Robinson. Rumours have been banded about regarding Scottie wanting to go to Charlton and play regularly, and I suppose if he wants to go then there's nothing we can do to stop him. Padelli, however, doesn't look good enough.

So, should we sign an older goalkeeper with experience who's prepared to sit out the majority of games for us this season? Or leave the situation as it is, ensuring Carson stays for at least another year? Loan Padelli out to one of the newly promoted teams?

:upside:
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat May 26, 2007 4:01 pm

No, carson will stay.

He is our backup right now and im sure he will have some games to play next season.

sure Padelli made alot of mistakes and looks very shaky, maybe because he lacks confidence and was very nervous, considering that it was his first game. He just needs to handle the pressure playing for a big club thats all.

Padelli is on loan.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Javier Mascherano_20 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:07 pm

We have Carson but i think that we should load Padelli out to get him some experience and a taste of what it is like playing at the top level is like.
Javier Mascherano_20

Postby metalhead » Sat May 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Javier Mascherano_20 wrote:We have Carson but i think that we should load Padelli out to get him some experience and a taste of what it is like playing at the top level is like.

We didnt buy padelli, he is already loaned to us for 18 months, thats why i read. :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Javier Mascherano_20 wrote:We have Carson but i think that we should load Padelli out to get him some experience and a taste of what it is like playing at the top level is like.

we are currently loaning him!

:laugh:
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat May 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Too harsh on Padelli because he had a bad game recently.

Young keepers needs experience and games. I've seen great keepers being awful in their debut.

But young keepers cannot be sat down forever, they need matches, that's why I understand Carson wants to be on loan.

We need a keeper that can be good enough for this club if Reina is injured, and at the same time is ready to assume this role. It's not as easy at it seems, but I think there are good keepers who could do that job, but those are Spaniards, you probably know english keepers who could do this role too.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Carson won't stay, his too good to be a "back up" keeper. he'll either be sold or loaned out.
Padelli looks like a bit of a liability, but to be fair his only had a couple of games.
give the lad a chance, or hopefully not if reina can stay injury free next season.
:D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby egyptian liverpoolian » Sat May 26, 2007 5:35 pm

carson will leave becouse he will not stay on bench for ever with dudek
my real name is mostafa
i am muslim, arab , egyptian
and i adore liverpool
egyptian liverpoolian

Postby Javier Mascherano_20 » Sat May 26, 2007 5:37 pm

metalhead wrote:

We didnt buy padelli, he is already loaned to us for 18 months, thats why i read. :D

I always thought we bought him !

Why do we have him on loan ?

Hes not doing anything useful send him home Rafa.
Javier Mascherano_20

Postby Penguins » Sat May 26, 2007 7:42 pm

it will probably be Reina and Padelli.

Carson will not be happy with bench duty Padelli will since he is more unproven.
Isn't that good having a 2nd choice that thinks he should be starter. Usually only leads to friction and displeasure in the squad.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat May 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Penguins wrote:it will probably be Reina and Padelli.

Carson will not be happy with bench duty Padelli will since he is more unproven.
Isn't that good having a 2nd choice that thinks he should be starter. Usually only leads to friction and displeasure in the squad.

Yes, only very good professionals know waiting.

Palop, current Sevilla keeper and UEFA champion is one of those. For me one of the best keepers of Spain. Not as strong as Reina in distribution and kick, but awesome under the sticks with great agility. A penalty stopper aswell. But he knew to be the second of Cañizares in Valencia for quite some time, and didn't say anything to press the manager to play, even if IMHO he was as good or better than Cañizares.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 26, 2007 10:11 pm

I don't think we should be too hard on Padelli - he had a poor game the other week, but he came highly recommended, and the early reports on him from reserve games were very good.

It was just a bit early for him, this season. Let's not forget that Kirkland and Carson had some stinkers in goal for us, and I'm sure we'd all take either of them back as 2nd choice.
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 26, 2007 10:34 pm

The problem of getting a good second choice keeper is made much harder for us because Reina is a young keeper. If he was say 34 like Van der Sar at the Mancs a good young keeper would be willing to wait knowing in a short while he will get his chance. With Reina in all likelyhood the keeper will only get a game when Reina is rested or injured for the forseeable future.

What we need is an older decent goalkeeper who is well aware of the situation, and is happy just picking up his paycheck and getting the odd game here and there, allied with a very young keeper who knows its going to be a while before he gets his chance.
account deleted by request

Postby flamingpoe » Sat May 26, 2007 10:44 pm

i agree we need a older goalkeeper, but we should be thankful that reina is a good goalkeeper, we need one older one and a younger one then they could obv, let go of padelli, i would buy either canizares or nikopolodis they will be a good back up keeper, cause they are quite old so that they dont mind be second, yet they r still quite confident and lets face it they would like to end there careers with one of the best teams in the world :p
Last edited by flamingpoe on Sat May 26, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingpoe

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 26, 2007 10:53 pm

One thing that should also be mentioned is how well Dudek handled being second choice. Reina has said that it was Dudek who helped him early in the season when he was struggling for form. Dudek has said that his relationship with Pepe was a special one. I am pretty sure that this is not usually the case as when there is 2 players competing for 1 place someone is usually going to be upset/angry.
account deleted by request

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion