The game tonight - Why we're still that little bit short

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kindaconfused » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:46 am

Can anyone tell me one player last night that crossed a decent ball?
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:01 am

I thought it was a good game, we had chances but couldn't finish them off.  As for this whole argument of 'we're ****** and mid-table is best possible finish for us' that is being put forward by stu and taff, that argument doesn't even make sense!  The squad is already better and we have looked so much more impressive this season already under Rafa then we did last season with Houllier (when we finished 4th 4th is not mid-table), dont forget that Gerrard is currently injured and his return will certainly strengthen us greatly.  So those things considered how could we finish as low as mid-table, mid-table is about 8-14.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby taff » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Starbridge42 wrote:I thought it was a good game, we had chances but couldn't finish them off.  As for this whole argument of 'we're ****** and mid-table is best possible finish for us' that is being put forward by stu and taff, that argument doesn't even make sense!  The squad is already better and we have looked so much more impressive this season already under Rafa then we did last season with Houllier (when we finished 4th 4th is not mid-table), dont forget that Gerrard is currently injured and his return will certainly strengthen us greatly.  So those things considered how could we finish as low as mid-table, mid-table is about 8-14.

Yo dude read the posts I was optimistic last night
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:51 pm

I reckon we are doing pretty well considering the changes over the summer. We have a brand new setup, new players and change in style. At this moment we can move up to 4th in the league if we win our game in hand, and also sit in joint second place in the champs league with 3 games to play. Our performances have been patchy yet we are in a decent position. We also have our captain to return from injury. Theres much to look forward too this season  :)
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:55 pm

parchpea wrote:I reckon we are doing pretty well considering the changes over the summer. We have a brand new setup, new players and change in style. At this moment we can move up to 4th in the league if we win our game in hand, and also sit in joint second place in the champs league with 3 games to play. Our performances have been patchy yet we are in a decent position. We also have our captain to return from injury. Theres much to look forward too this season  :)

HEAR HEAR
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:06 pm

Starbridge42 wrote:The squad is already better and we have looked so much more impressive this season already under Rafa then we did last season with Houllier

Without getting too carried away, I am not so sure about the above statement.
We are not looking that great when it comes to key games. OK, we looked good against Monaco, but that's it.
The squad is a bit mixed :
Cisse as we speak is no improvement on Heskey.
Dudek and Kirkland have little to choose between them.
Riise looks lost at left midfield.
Baros is busy, but still needs to look up, but probably the best of the forward line.
Garcia, looked good when he arrived, but now appears  more busy than productive.
Josemi, again looked like a good purchase when he arrived, but now looks raw, rather than assured.
Alonso is a positive improvement on Murphy
We are missing both Owen and Gerrard, where will they both be come the summer ?
Rafa, said all the right things when he arrived, looked good and engaged with the players during games, but when it comes to the half term report to take home to mum:
     Results: could be better.
     Squad: still experimenting.
     Post Match Interviews: sounding a bit woolly lately.
     Overall: Has the potential to do better, must improve before the end of autumn term.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby clint » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:29 pm

mid table is definatly not realistic, im sure we will do ALOT better than that, i think a top 4 finish is realistic with the possibility of maybe2nd or 3rd
clint

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:33 pm

why the hell Garcia didn't play the ball to Baros, when they were 2 against the Depor-keeper? It would have been a goal, but Garcia volleys the ball over the bar. This was just poor and egoistically  :angry:
stretfordendconquerer

Postby stretfordendconquerer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:36 pm

let's just hope that we win one of our away games and v olympiakos
stretfordendconquerer

Postby antz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:44 pm

You and redtriber are jokers chat bare rubbish. especially redtriber what a joker.
antz

Postby antz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:45 pm

redrider triber whatever
antz

Postby antz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:48 pm

big up supersub, st mich leon, and johnny and a few others Ab and the rest chat rubbish. You guys change your minds about the team and managemnt weekly. Whats wrong with your memorys, do you forget what you say from week to week. anyway

later
antz

Postby Woollyback » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:07 pm

Are we forgetting one of the obvious points from last night - Deportivo defended magnificently. Molina and Manuel Pablo were simply outstanding and THAT had a bigger effect on the scoreline than any lack of cutting edge on our part. Deportivo played a defensive game and did a damn good job of it, they're not one of La Liga's best sides for nothing.

Baros played very well indeed but needs to improve his team-awareness and finishing. Also a bit disappointed to see him go down so easily although he was geting fouled left, right and centre.

Cisse was average at best.

But what do we expect - everything's new at Anfield and will take time to settle in. Talk of mid-table finishes is pure bilge. We played very well last night and the whole team showed guts and determination which I haven't seen for a while. And all this without Stevie.

The future's bright. The future's RED.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:19 pm

I have to say that when I started this topic I was still frustrated and I realise that I may have been a bit harsh on the lads. One day on, I will try and put my thoughts into perspective.

The result means we now pretty much need to go to Deportivo and win, no easy task, (though were you that convinced by them?)

Before the game I was fairly apprehensive, they've been one of the better Spanish teams in Europe in recent years and with talent such as Valeron and Victor, they were probably the best team we've met at home this season.

We dominated posession, Baros and Cisse showed signs again that they are coming good, Traore for me was great, Sami and Carra were great in the 2nd half, Josemi was rarely caught out (apart from one rash tackle), Garcia showed what he could do in flashes, Alonso (fantastic again), Didi and Riise average, Kirkland was caught in two minds a few times. Kewell showed he is remembering how to play football when he came on..

I thought we'd have a tricky fixture on our hands here tonight, and I expected a stronger fight and to be outclassed technically, yet it was actually the opposite. If they had turned their few chances into goals though I'm sure I would have been delighted with a draw..

Disappointing yes, but we proved that the tactics are working if nothing else, it wasnt a bore draw, but more a frustrating draw, as long as we keep plugging away then I'm positive we will come good and things will start to pay off.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:52 pm

I thought it was a good game, we had chances but couldn't finish them off.  As for this whole argument of 'we're ****** and mid-table is best possible finish for us' that is being put forward by stu and taff, that argument doesn't even make sense!  The squad is already better and we have looked so much more impressive this season already under Rafa then we did last season with Houllier (when we finished 4th 4th is not mid-table), dont forget that Gerrard is currently injured and his return will certainly strengthen us greatly.  So those things considered how could we finish as low as mid-table, mid-table is about 8-14.

Who said anything about mid table ya bell?
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion