The game tonight - Why we're still that little bit short

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:25 pm

taff wrote:Whats not bollox is the fact the team are getting closer. Last Saturday all the reports were we were not very good but still scored four.

Havent you a small part of optimism forgetting all your arguments so far but a part of you that thinks they are getting better

****** the reports. Who gives a sh!t what they say. All it matters is that our team is improving. Remember the fact that we have a new manager and new players.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:28 pm

The fact you mention Murphy shows how bitter you feel...He's gone,so has Heskey,Owen and Houllier..get over it and put your support behind Rafa and his attempts to rebuild the team.If he is happy to involve Baros,then thats all well and good.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:29 pm

supersub wrote:I've got no worries....we will be top 4 come the end of season and possibly 2 or 3 looking at the rest of the shower.Only Arsenal are streets ahead at the mo.The 6-8 teams below them will take points of each other all season..so we have to make sure we get our fair share.

I totaly agree. Today's game showed me that we are capapable of improving and controlling the game and the game against Fulham has boosted our players confidence. Thats what we needed and things will get better from this point on.

What would worry me if we didn't create any chances or that we didn't control the game against Deportivo but we did the complete opposite.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:33 pm

Me?

I'm full of optimism. I'm full of realism.

The problem is people can't see this. I'm being called a pessemist when last season i was getting the exact opposite. Taff you were here last season, you saw what was being said...

I'm simply a realist, always have been always will be. Theres alot of positive stuff to say but theres alot of realistic stuff to say aswell.

Realistic point of view, Baros is still not good enough to be first choice, Cisse NEEDS time to settle, judging by performances Luis Garcia is no right sided midfielder. Xabi Alonso is a class act, Hamann isn't the player he once was, Hyypia and Carragher have played well all season and look really solid, Riise ISN'T a midfielder and we're still a top class defender and striker away at least and i need a bevvy... bye :)
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:36 pm

Baros is still not good enough to be first choice

You're a joke Stu. Recently you said that you never slated Baros and look what you're doing now.

What if Baros has a hat-trick for us this season will you say that he is still not good enough? What is good enough in your mind? Scoring a goal in every game?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:37 pm

:)

Night
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:40 pm

Deportivo came for a draw and got it . As we found out many times last season when teams defend in depth we find it hard to break them down. Thats FACT not pessimism cos i thought we attacked well tonight especially first half but lacked the killer finish.

With a  little more space away from home and a more adventurous formation on our travels i am positive we will get something from both away legs. A win at home against the greeks should see us through :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zardoz » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:50 pm

Do not write off Olympiakos, they' re a good side and you will struggle to get 3 pts against them at home.
Zardoz

Postby Dalglish » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:56 pm

I'm not writing the Greeks off at all Zardoz but we won't play as bad as we did away against them .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:29 am

Zardoz wrote:Do not write off Olympiakos, they' re a good side and you will struggle to get 3 pts against them at home.

Maybe but by the time that fixture comes about they may need a win at Anfield to get into the next stage themselves IIRC it will be last game of round. And if thats the case then i certainly fancy our chances of getting all 3 points
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:42 am

Dalglish wrote:Deportivo came for a draw and got it . As we found out many times last season when teams defend in depth we find it hard to break them down. Thats FACT not pessimism cos i thought we attacked well tonight especially first half but lacked the killer finish.

With a  little more space away from home and a more adventurous formation on our travels i am positive we will get something from both away legs. A win at home against the greeks should see us through :)

Good post, I agree.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adayinthelife » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:13 am

stu_the_red wrote:Me?

I'm full of optimism. I'm full of realism.

The problem is people can't see this. I'm being called a pessemist when last season i was getting the exact opposite. Taff you were here last season, you saw what was being said...

I'm simply a realist, always have been always will be. Theres alot of positive stuff to say but theres alot of realistic stuff to say aswell.

Realistic point of view, Baros is still not good enough to be first choice, Cisse NEEDS time to settle, judging by performances Luis Garcia is no right sided midfielder. Xabi Alonso is a class act, Hamann isn't the player he once was, Hyypia and Carragher have played well all season and look really solid, Riise ISN'T a midfielder and we're still a top class defender and striker away at least and i need a bevvy... bye :)

We played Deportivo off the park and created numerous chances with Baros at the heart of most of it.

As for Cisse I have no problem giving him time to adapt but yet unlike for example Pires and Reyes who when they came were lacking physically Cisse is naturally big and strong with pace to burn.

What is ****** me off about him is his lack of effort and willingness to impose himself on centre backs. :angry:

Once again Carragher was outstanding as he has been all season but yet Hyypia has looked far from solid on the deck and even in the air where he has been superb for many seasons and is still launching long balls from the back.

Once Gerrard returns Hamann won't get a look in and we still haven't seen Nunez who was bought to play on the right and dare I say it Kewell looked lively when he came on.

Like I said before have you ever asked yourself why after your hero spent over 100m we are left with a squad lacking in quality and depth ???
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:17 am

adayinthelife wrote:Like I said before have you ever asked yourself why after your hero spent over 100m we are left with a squad lacking in quality and depth ???

Must be because the club sold his favourite Murphy, Heskey and Owen and played 'the good for nothing' Baros instead  :D
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfused » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:46 am

It seems to me the two views are opposing, opptomists and realists. the realists consider scoring goals as all part of finishing and the opptomists are content with looking good up front without scoring ???

Its all about goals and we aint scoring (did I say that after Fulham but there was huge amounts of luck in that game). I hope Baros and Cisse get it together and if they do it will be some time yet but Baros has been doing the same stuff for some time, its only the Europeans thats tainting the view!
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:57 am

Who watched the Real game last night? I watched it after the liverpool game.

My assumptions is that STU does not like Baros as he prefers the Owen and Houllier era. But STU is spot on when Baros really could have put in better balls or putting 'em at the back of the net. Its a match that winning was easier than getting a draw.

My assesment, Owen did better than Baros last night only because he scored. Apart from that, I can see Baros is the better player than Owen last night. We did very well as a team against Depor but the finishing was not clinical. I thought Pongolle would have trouble them more if he came on earlier.....

After tonight, I see Benitez will really work hard on his frontline. I will see improvements in our next games.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion