The final straw...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jedwards » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Good post, and I agree with most of it, especially about the first section of the post, about the manager, who I think is a very negative manager, and as you have point out, how he has dealt with players substitution which was awful, each replacement was cancelling each other, absolutely pointless, he ought to have put Keane in central forward position rather than trying him out on the left wing!!, and should have used El Zahar, Bable, if he really wanted to win the match, but Benitez thinks otherwise. His common method is try and error, just look at how many players he had tried on left wing since had been in charge, Riise, Zenden, Gonzales, Garcia, Leto, Benayoun, Kewell, Bable, Gerrard, and now Keane's turn, he would have loved to try [Barry of Villa if he has managed to buy him] in that sticky position too!!, a top manager does not need to try 9 players in one position in order to solve the width problem of his first team.

Benitez is a master of buying a lot of  average unknown players at top prices, and after little spell, he sells them on the cheap, he is our main problem, and the club in constant decline since the last three seasons, between Benitez and the two cowboys owners, I can not see any glimpse of hope!!!!
jedwards

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:09 pm

maguskwt wrote:I dont' agree with the masch and gerrard pairing comment... I think they ARE a very good pairing. In fact I don't like the alonso mascherano pairing in a 4-4-2 at all... if you're talking about alonso mascherano pairing with Gerrard as an AM then yeah it's good... but in a 4-4-2 masch/gerrard HAS to be our first choice paring... next option would be alonso/gerrard... alonso/masch without gerrard is just plain terrible... as witnessed in our match against villa...

We played our best football last year with Alonso + Masch in central midfield and Stevie supporting Torres.

Fact is, it doesn't matter how you pair them - any combination is not good enough to win the EPL , if we have no creativity on the flanks or don't take the midfield quartet approach that Chelsea have taken.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby burjennio » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:09 pm

hes been on a wind up for about 30mins now. MODS - REMOVE HIM!
burjennio

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:11 pm

He will fade away once the day is over :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Simari wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I dont' agree with the masch and gerrard pairing comment... I think they ARE a very good pairing. In fact I don't like the alonso mascherano pairing in a 4-4-2 at all... if you're talking about alonso mascherano pairing with Gerrard as an AM then yeah it's good... but in a 4-4-2 masch/gerrard HAS to be our first choice paring... next option would be alonso/gerrard... alonso/masch without gerrard is just plain terrible... as witnessed in our match against villa...

We played our best football last year with Alonso + Masch in central midfield and Stevie supporting Torres.

Fact is, it doesn't matter how you pair them - any combination is not good enough to win the EPL , if we have no creativity on the flanks or don't take the midfield quartet approach that Chelsea have taken.

the form we showed since jan until end of season playing in the 4-2-3-1 was title winning form . that was creating on both flanks and through the middle .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Babel would :censored: your sunday league side. He's the new henry lid.

If you believe that then that shows how much you really know about football.

Comparing one of the worst players in our squad to one of the best players ever to play in this country is a joke. I suppose Lucas is the new Scholes aswell and Aggers the new Nesta.

:no

Joke lid.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Only because we had lost the title by then and were hell-bent on holding onto 4th place.

Most of Torres's goals came to him from passes through midfield to his feet. We had no creativity on the flanks. Teams weren't exactly worried or scared of Babel and Kuyt. Torres and Gerrard ticked against teams outside the top 3 with support from Alonso and Masch as the midfielders. We need better players out wide if we are to challenge for the title.

I'll say this again, while we played well to secure 4th - without the wide players, we will not win the EPL. We could ofcourse, opt to sign a creative attacking midfielder and go with a midfield quartet of Gerrard, Alonso, Masch and someone like Deco (obviously not him, but someone like him). We might not need wide players at all then - just better full-backs !!
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Whether Rafa or whoever is in charge the bigger problem lies with who owns us. Until that is resolved nothing will go right.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Simari wrote:Only because we had lost the title by then and were hell-bent on holding onto 4th place.

Most of Torres's goals came to him from passes through midfield to his feet. We had no creativity on the flanks. Teams weren't exactly worried or scared of Babel and Kuyt. Torres and Gerrard ticked against teams outside the top 3 with support from Alonso and Masch as the midfielders. We need better players out wide if we are to challenge for the title.

I'll say this again, while we played well to secure 4th - without the wide players, we will not win the EPL. We could ofcourse, opt to sign a creative attacking midfielder and go with a midfield quartet of Gerrard, Alonso, Masch and someone like Deco (obviously not him, but someone like him). We might not need wide players at all then - just better full-backs !!

how did kuyt manage to come second behind gerrard in assists then ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:Whether Rafa or whoever is in charge the bigger problem lies with who owns us. Until that is resolved nothing will go right.

care to elaborate on that ?
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:53 pm

GYBS wrote:
Simari wrote:Only because we had lost the title by then and were hell-bent on holding onto 4th place.

Did we win the league with Kuyt's assists?

If we win the league with Kuyt's assists from the flanks, I will concede that I was wrong.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Simari wrote:
GYBS wrote:

Did we win the league with Kuyt's assists?

If we win the league with Kuyt's assists from the flanks, I will concede that I was wrong.

if we had played the same formation from jan from the start of the season then maybe we would of done - but the fact kuyt had a decent amount of assists from his wide area means we did have creativity there - just was lacking from the left .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:07 pm

More stats for you GBYS, from last year:

NAME          Started    Sub    Goals   Assists
---------------------------------------------------
Lucas Leiva        12       6         0           5
Dirk Kuyt          24         8        3          6
Riise                22        7        0          4

Surely, Lucas and Riise are good enough also?
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:15 pm

add in the whole season - for years we been talking about having someone in the width who can give us ten goals and ten assists throughout the season - well kuyt did that last year

and yes lucas is good enough for liverpool and riise came to the end of his time.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:16 pm

3 goals and 6 assists for the league is far, far away from 10 goals and 10 assists. We need a better right sided player, so we can use Kuyt where he can deliver the goods - in the box.

For the record, Kuyt did not score or assist Away from Anfield in the league, all of last year.

Lucas being good enough for Liverpool - now you're having a laugh. He is an EPL player for the bottom 10 sides, not for us.

You are just being stubborn now.
Simari
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion