The fernando torres thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 am

Now he plans to start improving his basic English and keeps looking at the DVDs the club gave him when he arrived. “They are about the Kop, about the old players and managers,” he said.

Good lad. Get em watched   :nod

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby md49vd » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:08 pm

im not a liverpool fan but made this sig to signify your signing of one of the worlds best players

i would like to know your opinions about it?
md49vd

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:10 am

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is convinced Fernando Torres will shake-up the best Premiership's best defences this season.

"When we sign a striker I look at the defensive pairings of United and Chelsea and ask if we've signed a player who is going to cause them all sorts of problems," said Gerro.

"I did it with Torres and ended up with a smile on my face because I don't think anyone will enjoy playing against him.

"He's a great talent and it's a massive statement to the rest of the division.

"I've liked the way we've done business this summer. Previous years have shown how important it is to sort everything early in the pre-season, as it's not easy for players if they arrive just before the deadline.

"It makes it harder for them to settle. It's important we get off to a good start and that's going to be a lot easier if we have everyone here as soon as possible.

"Hopefully with everyone having had the right amount of rest this summer we'll be able to hit the ground running when the Premiership begins. People say you can't win the league in August but I believe you can certainly lose it in the first month.

"It's fine saying it's a nine-month season and there is plenty of time to recover from a shaky start but it's hard playing catch-up week-in, week-out.

"The last thing you want to do is give teams like Manchester United and Chelsea a head start, making things even more difficult for you than they are already.

"As footballers, we understand you're going to have to put it in during July to get your levels back to where they should be.

"But credit to the Spanish backroom staff, they know how to do it quickly, as painlessly as possible.

"I missed a bit of the last pre-season because of the World Cup. I came back and felt I needed more holiday.

"I was mentally and physically drained at the start of the season but this time I feel I've had a break and we will go into the season brimming with confidence."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Huck » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:59 am

Have a look at this videoclip of one of the current most popular pop bands in Spain and see if you can recognize one of LFC players playing a role in it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHDAcQUA9Qc
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:26 am

I thought it was either Carra's Spanish twin or Aurelio until Torres walked into the room!  :D
LFC2007

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:49 am

Huck wrote:Have a look at this videoclip of one of the current most popular pop bands in Spain and see if you can recognize one of LFC players playing a role in it :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHDAcQUA9Qc

Popular?

Popular for teenagers. That band is something it will last a couple of years. What a heap of cráp` :D

Torres lad, that guy is going to get your girl, wake up!  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Huck » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 am

Yeah, I know it's cráp, I don´t like it at all, but they are popular, we all know their tunes and don't make any effort to do it though, they are everywhere, so, unfortunately, they are popular.

BTW, the inner story of that is: the leader of the band is an Atletico fan and supposedly a close friend of Torres'. Anyway, all the flashes of Torres on TV has been like that, I mean, i don't think he's going to get any Oscar award in the future...unlike Beckham  :D
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby GRIMM599 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:15 pm

just watched it..... what a s1ut!

Fernando, you can do better.......call me!
GRIMM599

Postby lio » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm

* this is interesting reading coming from a man we once adored @ anfield ...

------------------------------------------------------
Why Torres won’t be a twenty-goals-a-season striker
written by Michael Owen on 26/07/2007

“Finally!” Came the cry from the people of Liverpool. “We have a world-class striker!” Yes, we did at last have a world-class, young striker when we completed the signing of Fernando Torres. Of course this wasn’t too much of a surprise with Diego Forlan going to Madrid as replacement and Luis Garcia also going the same way as a sort of bargaining chip.

One the deal was done Liverpool fans were not just relieved that we had finally signed a world-class player but also it proved that our new owners were willing to back the team financially to help us win that long-awaited nineteenth league title. However I do not believe for one minute that Torres will be the solution to our problems in attack. No, I don’t think he will even get twenty goals this season.

I believe that Rafa has come up with a great plan; he has brought in players such as Voronin and Ryan Babel to produce a side which is naturally good at attacking the ball, hence getting lots of goals from all different players. This means there will be less need for Torres to go-for-goal as there will be other players around him happy to take the challenge on, hence meaning there is an even balance of goals scored among our attacking players.

The other thing which I believe will stop Torres scoring twenty goals a season is his competition. If you look at our other strikers it’s not exactly a bad bunch! Even if not all are world class they all can do a job in a certain scenario which others can’t. For example, playing against a team like Man United you always have to be on your toes and putting in an immense amount of effort to even get close to scoring. This is where you need Dirk Kuyt, a player who won’t stop running till the last minute, unlike Crouch who would prefer to lurk around the box in search of a long-ball directly to his feet. Different players, different uses.

Now I’m not in anyway saying Torres was a waste of money, in fact I think he is one of the best signings we have made in my lifetime but I just don’t see him as a twenty goal a season striker at least not for the minute. However what I will expect from him is 0-15 goals with a good number of assists, whilst not playing every game.

So what about next season?...

I expect to see our best season at domestic level in this 2007/08 campaign. However I will wonder if we are going to throw too much at the league, with the pressure of the new money on our shoulders, just because we want to win the league shouldn’t mean that we should lack back in the cup games. For me a sixth European Cup win would fill me with as much joy as if we finally won that nineteenth league title, at least this season.

I think the crucial point of this season, for our title challenge, won’t be the last few games of the season but more the opening of it. In the past few years we have been known to throw away our title hopes early in the season with strings of mediocre performances, hopefully we will not see this next season.

For now all we can do is hope, dream, support and believe. This is one of the most crucial seasons in the history of our famous club and I don’t expect it to be fun, I expect it to be nervous and generally tense for all of us who sit in the stands hoping for a result which could clinch yet another piece of silverware.

...shanklygates
lio

Postby Alonso14 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:56 am

Article on the skysports website:

When Fernando Torres decided to leave Atletico Madrid after another disappointing season, many fans took to the streets and protested against the decision of letting a player depart who had spent all his football life at the club.

"El Niño" had been at the Vicente Calderon since he was 11 and made his debut at 17. His qualities attracted the attention of all Europe's top clubs, but he never wanted to leave until this summer. In the years when he was wearing the famous red and white shirt, Atleti have won just one Segunda Division title in 2001/02, not enough for a "wonder kid".

But after the tears have dried, fans and club were left counting the cash and they realised it was not bad business. They have already signed Simao from Benfica, Luis Garcia from Liverpool, Christian Abbiati from Milan, Raul Garcia from Osasuna and Diego Forlan from Villarreal.

The latest news is that Arsenal's Jose Antonio Reyes will be making the short trip from the Bernabeu, although the fact he scored the two decisive goals to give Real the title will not be easy to forget for Atletico's passionate fans.

Of all the new signings, probably the smartest has been Diego Forlan. Since his arrival in La Liga, the Uruguayan striker has really hit form and in three seasons with the Yellow Submarines he scored 54 goals in 106 games, helping the small team near Valencia to get to a UEFA Champions League semi final.

During last season the ex-Manchester United player, despite his side's slow start, was a constant menace and while Torres netted four penalties (of eight taken) to get to his personal tally of 14, Forlan scored from the spot just once.

His shooting accuracy also was much better while Torres can boast five assist goals against one provided by Forlan. Player

Diego Forlan Fernando Torres

Appearances 36 36
Minutes On Pitch 3,019 3,097
Goal Attempts     
Goals 19 14
Shots On Target 57 45
Shots Off Target 40 45
Shooting Accuracy 59% 50%
Chance Conversion 20% 16%
Passing     
Goal Assists 1 5
Total Passes 842 754
Pass Completion % 75% 65%
Discipline     
Fouls 21 71
Offside 25 30
Yellow Cards 2 4
Red Cards 0 1

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11096_2632459,00.html
Last edited by Alonso14 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby program77 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Hello from Spain. I will talk you about Torres.

He acts like a crack, he has the self-confidence of a crack, he has the speed of a crack, he has an amount of fans like a crack, he worth like a crack, but, my friends, he is not a crack. You will see it early (in fact, you is already seeing).

(excuse me my poor english. Crack = chaps like Ronaldinho, Etoo, Zidane, and so on).
Last edited by program77 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
program77

Postby Elchris » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 pm

program77 wrote:Hello from Spain. I will talk you about Torres.

He acts like a crack, he has the self-confidence of a crack, he has the speed of a crack, he has an amount of fans like a crack, he worth like a crack, but, my friends, he is not a crack. You will see it early (in fact, you is already seeing).

(excuse me my poor english. Crack = chaps like Ronaldinho, Etoo, Zidane, and so on).

But you talk :censored: for sure.... what we've seen are sign of quality and talent , much more to come
Elchris

Postby LegBarnes » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 am

lol a bitter person has joined us dont cry about losing ya torres we will see at end of 2 seasons if he is crack or not and if he is we just sell him on for a profit.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:20 am

LegBarnes wrote:

lol a bitter person has joined us dont cry about losing ya torres we will see at end of 2 seasons if he is crack or not and if he is we just sell him on for a profit.

I'm not sure but I don't think that he's bitter.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the term "crack" is used in Spain in a good way. Positive connotations.

Like our crack troops = our best troops....

I believe that Sabre had clarified this earlier.....
ConnO'var

Postby babu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 am

Hey conno'var. I think he may be bitter. basically he is saying Torres act's world-class, has an attitude of a world class player, has a following like a world-class player, BUT he is not world-class. and we will see it when he plays.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion