The fernando torres thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby atleticofa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:11 pm

Torres's Representative in the spanish Radio:

He said by the radio that Torres was too generous, that the agreement was first between Liverpool and Atleti, and that he leaves ;bored of little that has given the Aletico;
In summary:

- He is indignant of how had treated the subject Torres in the sport press

- That since May, Atleti was been negotiating Liverpool, and the first call to them arrive in June.

- That when Atleti call to them, they have already reached an agreement the clubs. It is then when they negotiate, but always after the clubs has reached an agreement.

- That Fernando Torres has gone away because he fed up. Fed up of that in 5 years the heads bosses have not made anything to improve. (This has been textual)

- That Fernando Torres has forgiven money to Aletico, much money, several million euros.
FERNANDO JOSE TORRES SANZ, you'll never walk alone.
atleticofa

Postby Kopite187 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:16 pm

its finally sinking in that torres was a good buy after all :D
Kopite187

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Atleticofa, the bit you're underlining is nothing more than a great club like Liverpool making the things the proper way. It doesn't really mean anything against the Atletico board.

We're used to the dirty tactics of Real Madrid in which they first contact the player so that the player presses the club. But Liverpool, both in the Alonso deal and in the Torres deal, and for that matter all deals, contact the club FIRST and then the player.

That's the proper way to do things in the world of football, and that's another reason why Liverpool are respected. Real Madrid should learn their ways, even if they did manage to bring great names with their dirty tactics.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:30 pm

Kopite187 wrote:its finally sinking in that torres was a good buy after all :D

Like I said if we had thought a year ago we would have him we all would have said yes.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:49 pm

atleticofa wrote:- That Fernando Torres has gone away because he fed up. Fed up of that in 5 years the heads bosses have not made anything to improve. (This has been textual)

- That Fernando Torres has forgiven money to Aletico, much money, several million euros.

well now they're supposedly improving the squad with the money they got from the torres deal... forlan and garcia in and even now competing with LFC for the signature of quaresmo... back off AM! :p
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:51 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:What a load of old cr*p.

You want to play the stats game, eh? OK then, pal:

Raul Real games/goals: 449/194, or 1 goal every 2.3 games.

He's still in Madrid.

Michael Owen (Who I dislike) career games/goals: 264/138, or 1 goal every 1.9 games.

He was booted out for "not being good enough".

Stats can tell you anything you want to hear.

What a load of old sh*te.

Damn good point
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 pm

How well does Torres operate out wide? not in a midfield role but as like a wide forward if we tried out a formation like:
                                       Mascherano                 
                      Gerrard                               Alonso

Torres                                                        Quaresma/Kewell/Mancini/Yossi
                                         Kuyt/Crouch

Obviously its not his natural position, but I have heard a lot say that he would be a great Second Striker here and that Kuyt should thrive this season.  Does most of his creativity come from the center? how well could he do at crossing from that position? could he still score goals form there?  I am thinking about this a good European away attack, plays to our strength in CM.
JoeTerp

Postby f9Torres » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:31 pm

In Diario As, the man who represent to Torres:

José A. Martín 'Petón'
DOCE AÑOS DE NOES POR AMOR AL ALETI

Tenía 14 años el pecoso, un delantero de esos que llaman espigados cuando hay que decir flacuchos. Ese mismo año fue mejor cadete europeo y llamó Valdano empujado por Paco de Gracia y Ramón Martínez para que se quitara las rayas. Pues no. Sin malevolencia me dijo Jorge: "tú serás responsable de que juegue en el AZ pudiendo estar en el Ajax" (el inexistente AZ ganó la Liga un lustro después). Al principio de la temporada siguiente fue invitado por el Arsenal a conocer el club y sus maravillosas instalaciones durante un largo fin de semana: "no puedo, juega el Aleti en casa". La foto está ahí abajo. El Valencia después por un quítame allá esas letras. Hubo quien aseguró que iba a comer naranjas una temporadita. Perdió las cervezas que aún no ha pagado. El muy despierto Sandro Rosell hubiera evitado un montón de goles en contra de su equipo y unas cuantas derrotas del Barsa si hubiera prosperado su primer deseo al llegar al club: fichar al nueve del Aleti. Antes lo había intentado un candidato a la presidencia del Barcelona como lo intentaron luego en las elecciones del Madrid. Pastizara sobre la mesa. Ni por mil mesas llenas, se han equivocado ustedes. Llama la Juve. "Hay que esperar que el Atle... de Madrid se ponga al paso de su historia". Máximo goleador español una y otra vez. Oferta de un club que crece: Olympique de Lyon. Ofertón del Newcastle; Mil Tottenham rompe la hucha; máximo goleador en la fase de acceso al Mundial y brilla en Alemania. El Inter de Milán abruma: dobla sus ingresos españoles. No. Llama Ferguson, en París se le dice al mítico mánager que tienen que hablar primero con el Atle... de Madrid. Si el Aleti es el Aleti, para qué salir de casa.

Hasta el del Inter, viví en primera persona todos los noes. Para cerrar sus primeros doce años colchoneros deja en el club la más alta cantidad pagada en euros por un jugador español, suficiente para ayudar a hacer un equipazo. Ahora que se va el paraguas que se mojen los valientes y se ahoguen los cobardes.
f9Torres

Postby Rojiblanco1985 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Rojiblanco1985

Postby Rojiblanco1985 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Rojiblanco1985

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:29 pm

JoeTerp wrote:How well does Torres operate out wide? not in a midfield role but as like a wide forward if we tried out a formation like:
                                       Mascherano                 
                      Gerrard                               Alonso

Torres                                                        Quaresma/Kewell/Mancini/Yossi
                                         Kuyt/Crouch

Obviously its not his natural position, but I have heard a lot say that he would be a great Second Striker here and that Kuyt should thrive this season.  Does most of his creativity come from the center? how well could he do at crossing from that position? could he still score goals form there?  I am thinking about this a good European away attack, plays to our strength in CM.

I think the last thing we want to see his Torres playing wide, we have paid our record fee for a top quality striker not for someone who might be able to do a job out wide. Kuyt on the other hand has played as a winger and if he struggles again this season may end up being shunted out wide ala Cisse and Diouf. (God forbid!!!)
account deleted by request

Postby lfcseb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:59 am

great signing
lfcseb

Postby josef_eagle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Super forward fernando
josef_eagle

Postby .:RedKuyt:. » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Ye..he's good!!
.:RedKuyt:.

Postby redmikey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:03 am

Guillem Balague

Fernando Torres was walking his two dogs near his house in Madrid – “two sensitive bulldogs” that he plans to take to Liverpool – when he got a call from a number he did not recognise. He does not normally answer his phone when he does not know who it is, but thinking it may have been a call from England he decided to pick it up in case it was Cesc Fàbregas OR José Manuel Reina.

“I cannot remember if he said, ‘Hi, it’s Rafa’ or, ‘Hi, this is Benítez,’ ” Torres said. The Liverpool manager was on holiday in Portugal a week after the Champions League final, but he was focusing on signing the striker that would help his team to make the definitive jump in quality in the Barclays Premier League. “I was surprised but did not realise the dimension of what I was hearing till I hung up,” Torres said. “Then I thought, ‘Wow, this club that can get anybody in the world has rung me, they want me.’”

A month and a half later, a couple of days ago in fact, he arrived at Mel-wood at 8am for his first Liverpool training session. Nobody was at the training ground yet, so he changed and started having breakfast while waiting for people to arrive. He shook hands with Peter Crouch first, then Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard, and then he gave Reina a hug – he had arrived. At 23 he was finally where everybody predicted he would end up, at one of the big clubs, one that will help him to play for the first time in European competition and one where he is capable of fulfilling his dreams.

Sadly, it could not be with Atlético Madrid, the club that saw him grow. And that became painfully obvious in the last match of the season just finished, a humiliating 6-0 home defeat by Barcelona. “We always raised our game against Barcelona,” Torres said. “It was one of our little victories during a season. We thought that proved that we could be at a higher level if things were done in the right way. But it was all an illusion and I realised it on that day. I had to move on.”
Related Links

* Benítez stakes reputation on Babel

* Fowler in talks over Sydney move

* Liverpool agree fee for Benayoun

When the offer from Liverpool arrived, he asked Atlético to listen to it and if possible accept it, even though Benítez was never going to pay the whole of his buy-out clause – €40 million (about £27 million). The offer was about €25 million increasing to about €30 million depending on targets, plus Luis GarcÍa, valued at €4 million. Then Torres went on holiday to Polynesia and he returned sooner than expected because everything was agreed.

After passing the medical and signing he asked to say goodbye to his fans in Madrid before being unveiled at Anfield. “In one of the trips, at the passport control of the airport, we were there when a plane landed,” he said. “People recognised me and I started signing autographs, but at the same time opening a space so I could keep moving. I quickly realised life was going to be different in Liverpool.”

Torres is talking about the weight of expectation that he has had to carry at Atlético, where, at 19, he became captain and the only person responsible for everything that was good and bad at the club. He was mobbed, criticised, scrutinised. He couldn’t breathe.

People accused him of saying goodbye in a distant way, no tears or anything. When presented with the new Atlético shirt he rejected the opportunity to wear it. When the chairman offered a hug, he gave a hand instead.

“I didn’t think it was convenient to wear Atlético’s new shirt when I belonged already to another club,” he said. But what he means is that it was never again up to him to represent the club he loves. There was no shield for the directors who for eight years had failed to build a team that could qualify for Europe. In the press conference at Anfield, the weight had gone. It was another Fernando Torres and the smile he wore that day has not abandoned him since.

“I don’t care about the weather. My girlfriend, who I will live with, is from Galicia, where it rains constantly,” Torres said. “I know I am in a special club, in a city that has had better times, but that is getting stronger. I have already noticed that in the couple of days we have been here.

“When my friends gave me the arm-band with the ‘we’ll never walk alone’ logo, the one they have tattooed in their arms, I was not thinking of Liverpool as my next destination, but there is a reason why we liked that sentence. At Atlético, in my district, we know what it means.”

But training is different and he is already suffering the consequences of the hard work imposed by Pako Ayes-taran, the Liverpool assistant manager. “They do train here, don’t they?” he said. Torres knows how important the physical side of the game is in England. “I am going to play 20 more matches than at Atlético,” he said. “But I am sure the adaptation is going to be easier partly because I know some of the guys here, but partly because I can already see in training that the team moves like a unit.

“It is a team that is already solid. I was running around trying to follow their moves but I’m still miles away to accomplish that efficiently.”

However, other factors will help his adaptation. “I can see I could be useful when we use the counter-attack, with the long balls of Gerrard or the passes from Xabi [Alonso],” Torres said. “It is up to me to give even more to the team. I have scored more goals when I have been playing as a target man, but I can play off another striker, do his dirty work if you like.

“I will have to get used to the different intensity of the Premier League. I also need to get rid of some of the habits one learns when younger. There will be a price to pay while I learn, a yellow card or two. At least I know from having watched the Premier League that referees allow more to the forward. In Spain if I made a fault it was a yellow card straight away, but here I can be physical.”

Liverpool fans will have to wait until one of the friendlies in Switzerland next week – against Werder Bremen or Auxerre – to see Torres’s debut. His ankle is getting better and he is training normally. The forward played the last two matches of last season’s La Liga while injured to help the failed attempt to get Atlético into Europe despite the fact that he knew there could be moving on.

Now he plans to start improving his basic English and keeps looking at the DVDs the club gave him when he arrived. “They are about the Kop, about the old players and managers,” he said. “I have seen a few of them and will see the rest when we go to China, it is a long trip.” Six years at Liverpool could also be considered a long trip, but Torres can’t wait to start. “How do you say ‘ estoy muy ilusionado’ in English?” he asked before going around Liverpool looking for houses. It is “I’m so made up” – in Scouse.

* Have your say

article from the times, comes across as a really down to earth lad, a good media start anyway

liverpool fans will love him if he works hard and tries his best to become part of the fabric of the club instead of trying of his own glory
redmikey
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion