The fernando torres thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Mayday » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
Mayday wrote:Torres is a good player but he isn't a star.

Maybe with Liverpool shows better football. Many years, reading spanish journalists about the great player he is (10-13 goals/year penalty kick included), but all can resumed in one thing: Sell newspapers.

Good Luck, Torres. You'll need it.

Bitter? Jealous? Well which one is it? Or both?

I prefer other players for Liverpool (better players). That's all.

You can ask whatever you like spanish people about Torres and 90% tell you the same.

Shut up you tart typical WUM trying to be a forigner cant fool the arl ciggy lar.

My point is different. Just respect me.
Mayday

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:00 pm

FERNANDO JOSE TORRES SANZ, you'll never walk alone.
atleticofa

Postby bugsy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:11 pm

i am very happy with the signing and think its a good one. i think he will compliment kuyt and crouch very much and i think we are in for a great season. giddy up liverpool fc.
Gerrard is my King
bugsy

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm very optimistic about this signing, I think he will do well with us, I like him as a player, and he already showed commitment to take a pay cut to join us.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:32 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:34 pm

stmichael wrote:Image

That's classic!!!!    :D  :D  :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I was interested by comments in The Times reporting/suggesting he is taking a pay cut and also that Man City made a late 36m Euro bid for him. I had to laugh at the City bid, that would be like trying to fit a shark in a garden pond among the goldfish!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Owzat wrote:I was interested by comments in The Times reporting/suggesting he is taking a pay cut and also that Man City made a late 36m Euro bid for him. I had to laugh at the City bid, that would be like trying to fit a shark in a garden pond among the goldfish!

I don't understand you very well. I know that Man. United. bid 36 M + Forlan two years ago.
atleticofa

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:22 pm

atleticofa wrote:
Owzat wrote:I was interested by comments in The Times reporting/suggesting he is taking a pay cut and also that Man City made a late 36m Euro bid for him. I had to laugh at the City bid, that would be like trying to fit a shark in a garden pond among the goldfish!

I don't understand you very well. I know that Man. United. bid 36 M + Forlan two years ago.

he is saying manchester city, not manchester united, tried to get Torres, which is laughable!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby f9Torres » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:29 pm

metalhead wrote:
atleticofa wrote:

he is saying manchester city, not manchester united, tried to get Torres, which is laughable!

Yes i feel the same as you when i knew it.
f9Torres

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:31 pm

metalhead wrote:
atleticofa wrote:

Yes, laughable.
Last edited by atleticofa on Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atleticofa

Postby f9Torres » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Mayday wrote:
f9Torres wrote:In his worse season he scores 13. The average in 15. If you want/can, tell me some strikers who have scored at least 13 goals by year since 18 to 23.

2000-01 (2 division)  4 - 1 Goal
2001-02 (2 division) 36 - 6 Goals
2002-03 (1 division) 29 - 13 Goals
2003-04 (1 division) 35 - 19 Goals
2004-05 (1 division) 38 - 16 Goals
2005-06 (1 division) 36 - 13 Goals
2006-07 (1 division) 36 - 14 Goals

Included penalty kicks.

The rest of the message in private.

I repeat, since 18, in primera division, an average of 15 goals, and every year at least 13 goals. Tell me another strikers with this number in his 5 first season in primera woth this age (18-23).
f9Torres

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 pm

metalhead wrote:
atleticofa wrote:

Notice how that thing that underlines words with a pop up link that  it doesn't do it with Manchester City, but does it with Manchester United? Tells you something, doesn't it?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:35 pm

f9Torres wrote:
Mayday wrote:
f9Torres wrote:In his worse season he scores 13. The average in 15. If you want/can, tell me some strikers who have scored at least 13 goals by year since 18 to 23.

2000-01 (2 division)  4 - 1 Goal
2001-02 (2 division) 36 - 6 Goals
2002-03 (1 division) 29 - 13 Goals
2003-04 (1 division) 35 - 19 Goals
2004-05 (1 division) 38 - 16 Goals
2005-06 (1 division) 36 - 13 Goals
2006-07 (1 division) 36 - 14 Goals

Included penalty kicks.

The rest of the message in private.

I repeat, since 18, in primera division, an average of 15 goals, and every year at least 13 goals. Tell me another strikers with this number in his 5 first season in primera woth this age (18-23).

Torres has been surround of bad players.
atleticofa

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:38 pm

'El Nino' to warm up Anfield 

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

By John May 

Torres (right) becomes Benitez's 18th signing from Spain

Fernando Torres and the Premier League are made for each other, according to former Atletico Madrid coach Radomir Antic.

Liverpool will just be hoping the 23-year-old who shoulders the burden of a reported £26.5m price tag and is known as El Nino, can finally bring about a sea-change to their title hopes.

Torres has been touted as the final missing piece in the Anfield jigsaw, the striker who can provide the sort of golden goal touch Liverpool have lacked since the heady days of Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush or Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen in more recent times.

His record of 75 goals in five seasons in the Spanish top flight suggest a natural goalscoring instinct and Spain's national coach Luis Aragones hinted at his range of skills by once saying: "Torres never scores the same goal twice"

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has not been slow to visit the Primera Liga, and Torres becomes the 18th import from Spain to pitch up at Anfield.

Reds' fans may point to the likes of Fernando Morientes among the misses, but Antic - who was Atletico coach while Torres was forging his way through the youth team - is sure Torres will be a hit.

He told BBC Sport: "Liverpool have done a very good job in getting him because Torres is such a good player.

606: DEBATE
Getting Torres will bring us closer to Man Utd and Chelsea, but we need a winger

CM

"I'm surprised Atletico have sold their captain. Since he started to play for them he's been a regular player and important for the team."

Born in the Madrid neighbourhood of Fuenlabrada, Torres first caught the eye of The Mattresses when he scored 55 goals in a season for an under-10 team.

In the Madrid social order, Atletico have always been the horny-handed sons of soil compared to the aristocrats of Real.

But after making his first-team debut in May 2001 and guiding Atletico back to the top flight the follwing season, Torres has been a prince among strikers.

If he was initially a well-kept secret outside of the spotlight that surrounds Real in Madrid, the world at large sat up and took notice when he scored a stunning volley to round off Spain's 4-0 win over Ukraine in last summer's World Cup.

The fresh-faced Torres looks like easy pickings for bully-boy defenders but Antic is also sure he will answer the physical demands set by what is reputed to be the world's most physically demanding league.

Atletico fans were not happy at Torres' departure

"England is a good place for his qualities. He has a strong personality, but he's also quick and strong physically," he said.

Antic also hinted that Torres' qualities could be a sign of Benitez changing Liverpool's style.

He said: "He's also a very skilful player, especially in one-on-one situations, which will be something different for Liverpool up front.

"They have not had a striker who can take the ball and beat opponents.

"In the last few years at Atletico, he was a striker without any support from midfield. Atletico played that way because his movement meant he could run on to forward passes."

But if the move holds out rich promise for Liverpool, Antic also feels it does the same for Torres.

He's one of the best players I have come up against in Spain

Former Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham

The former Atletico boss said: "He needs a new challenge to improve his game, and I think Torres has done a good thing to come to England."

The former Atletico coach is not the only one to sing Torres' praises.

Abraham Garcia, who coached his junior team, said: "He'll probably become world famous.

"Directness, pace, power, excellent in the air and the mindset of a born winner make Fernando an extraordinary player."

Of course, such praise has to be placed in the context. Torres is undoubtedly erratic, a player capable of missing goals almost as spectacularly as he scores them.

And as impressive as his goalscoring record is, it must be remembered he was Atletico's penalty taker during the past few years - which has put a positive sheen on his statistics.

Plus, the pundits could be wrong. Morientes was expected to be a huge star in the Premier League but it did not happen. And it was only 12 months ago that many were salivating over the prospect of Andriy Shevchenko in English football.

Nevertheless, he has the potential to be a star as a certain player from Madrid - who knows a thing or two about stardom - says.

During his time at Real, former England skipper David Beckham said of Torres: "He's one of the best players I have come up against in Spain and one of the best forwards in Europe."

SEE ALSO
Liverpool complete Torres signing
04 Jul 07 |  Europe
Comment: Anfield's missing link?
03 Jul 07 |  Football
Torres gives Arsenal strong hint
12 Nov 05 |  Arsenal
Torres extends Atletico contract
04 Sep 06 |  Europe
Atletico prepared to sell Torres
24 Jan 06 |  Europe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED BBC LINKS:
Football on the BBC
Liverpool fans' views on 606
BBC Where I Live - Liverpool
Liverpool weather
BBC Sport Premier League

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
Liverpool
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext