The fernando torres thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ydde » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Call me a pessimist, but I really hope I'm proved wrong about this signing. I'm not convinced he's the man; his record wouldn't exactly frighten Premiership defences now, would it ? I read here that he's got a lot of time ahead of him.....
Well, Mr Benitez, you have not got 3-4 years for this spend to come good.
When is the last time LFC won a Premiership ? Oh, sorry, we haven't.....
Who's gonna cross from the wings to Torres or Crouch ? Errrr, don't think there are too many options there now, are there ?
What if one or two of the current strikers get injured - what's Plan B ?.....

Don't get me wrong, I wish Torres will prove me wrong, but this ain't the Primera Liga

Well, don't expect him to score truckloads of goals. If he scores anything like his average, I think that would be a good return for the first season.

He got lots of other attributes, like pace, power, dribbling. These attributes could benefit other players as well in creating threatening situations to the opposing goals. In general, this would benefit the team!

So come on, don't be so pessimistic. We were all looking for a top class signing, and now we got one, a young, highly coveted to boot, people starts to be pessimistic before he even kick a ball!
Ydde

Postby Homebooby » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:09 am

Scottbot wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oqCZimGwLwM

This is probabaly the best compo i've seen of Torres and shows off more of his skills than some of the others i have watched. Certainly looks like he can head a ball and he scores a few goals where he fizzes the ball into feet, bombs on, collects the return pass and finishes past the keeper (much like stevie). Hopefully we will see a few goals of this ilk when he's teamed up with Crouchy.

It's a nice compilation and he clearly has good spped, vision, touch and ability to finish under pressure....however, I can't see him waltzing through premiership defences in the way that he is on this clip....some of the defending and goalkeeping is abysmal.

Nice to see everyone up on this though, feeling the buzz and appreciating the good deal that has been done. amazing the difference a week makes......note we have a big big signing in the 1st week of the transfer window.....we got our target. big change right?
Homebooby

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:11 am

A year ago if we would have had the chance to get him im sure 90% of you on here would have snapped at the chance. Now we have him lets give him a chance and shut the :censored: up.

We needed a top striker and considering who was on the market he was the best option.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:20 am

Homebooby wrote:however, I can't see him waltzing through premiership defences in the way that he is on this clip

you'd be surprised. maybe not manu or chelski but a lot of teams in prem wont know what to expect and a level of uncertainty will be in their minds. I think his first season maybe his best but I think maybe every season he has with us will be good enough.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:58 am

£20.2m in real terms a decent price, for a forward with a top reputation and only 23. If he is taking a pay cut, i know 103k or 90k!, but its an indication of good character. Especially when you hear Terry and Lampard are concerned about not being the top earners at Chelski.
Where's everyone who were saying 'whys nothing happening?'  or 'The Americans lied, the're not giving the money'
:p :p
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby jammy2 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 am

Last edited by jammy2 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jammy2

Postby tithead » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 am

Is Rafa doing blue movies on the side now or summat?
tithead

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks for pics. Im crying.. :(
Last edited by atleticofa on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FERNANDO JOSE TORRES SANZ, you'll never walk alone.
atleticofa

Postby Rockthekop » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:16 am

20M quid is not a bad deal for one of Europes top strikers.  Torres is a quality player who we have been crying out for, very talented and as good as Wayne Rooney IMO.  It's absurd to compare him with Morientes, they only thing they have in common is their nationality.  Torres is everything he isn't...we've got a special player, wait and see!  Will he be able to adapt? I certainly think so.  Hope we get Quaresma as too, looks well impressive and very similar to C. Ronaldo
Rockthekop

Postby Elchris » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 am

redtrader74 wrote:£20.2m in real terms a decent price, for a forward with a top reputation and only 23. If he is taking a pay cut, i know 103k or 90k!, but its an indication of good character. Especially when you hear Terry and Lampard are concerned about not being the top earners at Chelski.
Where's everyone who were saying 'whys nothing happening?'  or 'The Americans lied, the're not giving the money'
:p :p

I admit that i was thinking why nothing is happening ? and having thoughts that americans are not going to provide much funds. Very happy with the signing of torres especially when he is signed on 20mp , which is very good. But i hope it doesn't stop here , a top class winger would be fantastic.

-quaresma seems available at 17mp
-mancini
-heinze

If we manage to get these kind of quality , itz will change how we play , the way rafa sorts out his tactics , we'll be on a more attacking side and play entertaining football.
Elchris

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:21 am

bunglemark2 wrote:Who's gonna cross from the wings to Torres or Crouch ? Errrr, don't think there are too many options there now, are there ?

Don't get me wrong, I wish Torres will prove me wrong, but this ain't the Primera Liga

Errrrrr, how do you know there arent going to be any new wingers crossing the ball in ?
Although thats not the only service the lad looks like he thrives off, from what i have seen he can take the ball into feet and seems comfortable running in behind onto through balls.

Some people are never happy  :no

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MLPD » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:24 am

Ydde wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Call me a pessimist, but I really hope I'm proved wrong about this signing. I'm not convinced he's the man; his record wouldn't exactly frighten Premiership defences now, would it ? I read here that he's got a lot of time ahead of him.....
Well, Mr Benitez, you have not got 3-4 years for this spend to come good.
When is the last time LFC won a Premiership ? Oh, sorry, we haven't.....
Who's gonna cross from the wings to Torres or Crouch ? Errrr, don't think there are too many options there now, are there ?

Well, don't expect him to score truckloads of goals. If he scores anything like his average, I think that would be a good return for the first season.

He got lots of other attributes, like pace, power, dribbling. These attributes could benefit other players as well in creating threatening situations to the opposing goals. In general, this would benefit the team!

So come on, don't be so pessimistic. We were all looking for a top class signing, and now we got one, a young, highly coveted to boot, people starts to be pessimistic before he even kick a ball!

sorry to step in this conversation - just arrived in the forum from Madrid (I think I have seen every Torres match since he is in Atleticos first side)
what you can see of Torres in Youtube may be impressing, but this may be the case of many other players. I can understand liverpool fans remain skeptical
However, I think you would appreciate the kind of work he does in the bits not shown in the "best-of-Torres" videos you may find in the web. He never gives up, never refuses responsibility, never hides. He has proven to be much stronger, both phisically and mentally, that most players in the Spanish league: not many are capable of dealing with his burden, even less are capable of doing successfully.
He knows what roots mean, what loyalty to a club and crowd represent. I am really sorry he left, but happy about where he went to.
I may be wrong, but I believe you have just bought a player that will make you guys very very happy ..
MLPD

Postby BillyE » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 am

I understand the fears and worries of supporters about whether he will be a success or not but lets wait and see.  I'm so impressed by what i've seen of him as a person and the reports of taking a wage cut etc to come to Anfield.  This is the sort of player we want, someone who wants to wear the red shirt, someone who has the hunger and desire to be the best that he can be. I think he will connect with supporters and before long he'll be racking in the goals and he'll be a hero. I'm optimistic and with a few more quality additions we'll be there!!!! :buttrock
BillyE

Postby atleticofa » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:16 pm

Last edited by atleticofa on Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FERNANDO JOSE TORRES SANZ, you'll never walk alone.
atleticofa

Postby Mayday » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 pm

f9Torres wrote:In his worse season he scores 13. The average in 15. If you want/can, tell me some strikers who have scored at least 13 goals by year since 18 to 23.

2000-01 (2 division)  4 - 1 Goal
2001-02 (2 division) 36 - 6 Goals
2002-03 (1 division) 29 - 13 Goals
2003-04 (1 division) 35 - 19 Goals
2004-05 (1 division) 38 - 16 Goals
2005-06 (1 division) 36 - 13 Goals
2006-07 (1 division) 36 - 14 Goals

Included penalty kicks.

The rest of the message in private.
Mayday

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion