The don't buy the sun blimp - debut this saturday - Massive thanks to all who contributed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Here's what I've just posted on RAOTL.

I haven't posted an update on here in a month or two, but I've had half an eye on the derby for a while. We've had an on/off few weeks with permission etc, but that's all sorted, and with the helium in hand we are now 100% on.

Thanks to everyone from here that contributed - might be shaky going first time out, but I'd like to think this could be a goer for years to come now.

Don't buy The Sun, yeah?

----------
Just had the word from l21leon that the helium is in hand.

We are f*cking on. Any and all volunteers feel free to come along to Venmore Street from 8am on Saturday. Plenty to do, and it'd be great to put some faces to IDs.

This first flight is doubling as us trying to work out what the f*ck we're doing, and checking the velcro-backed banners idea does actually work etc. Assuming all goes well though, we can start thinking about which games we're targeting in future - things like alternative banners, and longer term maybe even kitting it out with lights so we can apply for flights at night matches.

HJC have funded the helium for its debut, which means there is still money in the kitty for helium for 1 more flight. Beyond that though, the well is dry and we will need people to throw in to keep it going up in the air. We definitely, definitely need to think about what we're doing about the April anniversary - going up in the air on the anniversary itself is a must I'd have thought, and I'd say that new Justice-related banners are needed for that time of year. I'll be bending Gerry's ear about this on Saturday, but any and all comments and suggestions very much appreciated.

Have a look at the fixture list and see which games leap out as must-blimp. We've got permission for 14 flights per calendar year on the site in Venmore Street, so there may well be a bit of picking and choosing needed.

For now though, a massive thank you to everybody that threw in for this. The blimp fund raised close to £1500 from reds primarily from this site and also RAWK, OTK, TLW and Newkit. A couple of blues, as well as a barcode and a Manc that live in the city also contributed.

Huge thanks in particular to Alex, Murf, l21Leon and Beaumont (blinding tip on the helium mate). It's been a bit of a faff at times in truth, but these lads have done various bits of legwork along the way that have made it about a million times easier than it could have been. Massive thanks to Annasfield as well for sorting me out with a ticket for the weekend.

Remember, getting it up is just the start - if you're interested in contributing to future running costs like helium and new banners, send money via Paypal to stu@corkyball.co.uk or feel free to PM me for bank transfer details, a mailing address for cheques etc.

Will be a proud day on Saturday, and I can't thank you all enough for helping my little idea literally get off the ground.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reg » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Ivor how does it work mate, how big is the blimp, is it static or manned, do you need permission to fly? How much is the helium for one flight?

What are the rules concerning banning it or shooting it down?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:47 pm

7m-long and static, with 2 of the banners pictured above, 1 either side (they're 4m-long)
Needed to notify the local police
Needed permission from the council and the civil aviation authority

Can only be banned if you're broadcasting offensive or potentially incendiary language. I'd be keen to speak to anyone in the Anfield area that has a problem with this message.

Helium is variably priced, and has actually just gone up this week. The lad that's sorted us out was actually in the Leppings Lane end in 89, and has bent over backwards to help. I've budgeted roughly £200 per flight for the helium (you also have to give between £100-£200 deposit on the canisters) - it's come in under that for the first flight, but in future it'll be basically that.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Where is venmore street ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Paul C » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:Where is venmore street ?

Google Maps  :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

It's going here:

ivor_the_injun

Postby Kopite25 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Just a thought in regards to future flights but I reckon if we got enough ppl to contact them that some of the S*n's (can't bring myself to type that rags name) daily tabloid competitors would be happy to contribute, esp if getting coverage on Televised games!!

Just a thought & surely worth a go :;):
Shankly on boardroom meetings - 'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9349/kkwt.jpg
Kopite25

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Is l21Leon Leonmac from here?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Reg wrote:Ivor how does it work mate, how big is the blimp, is it static or manned, do you need permission to fly? How much is the helium for one flight?

What are the rules concerning banning it or shooting it down?

I think it's around 7m in length and 3m to 4m in width.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Best of luck with this, I hope it goes well for you. If it even stops a few more people from buying that rag then it will have done its job

Good work
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Not that this is directly related to the blimp or anything but a few months ago there was a local MP from somewhere (I think) and he tore up a S*n newspaper on stage. It went something along the lines of - "In Liverpool they learned to do this a long time ago".....

If anyone remembers please let me know as id like to try dig out that video if possible.

Thanks

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 pm

bavlondon wrote:Not that this is directly related to the blimp or anything but a few months ago there was a local MP from somewhere (I think) and he tore up a S*n newspaper on stage. It went something along the lines of - "In Liverpool they learned to do this a long time ago".....

If anyone remembers please let me know as id like to try dig out that video if possible.

Thanks

That was during the Labour party conference when the S*N came out in favour of the Torys. I think it was some union bigwig, must be floating about on youtube somewhere.
heimdall

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Paul C wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:Where is venmore street ?

Google Maps  :;):

i use them everyday for me job as well, just being lazy  :D
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:33 pm

bavlondon wrote:Not that this is directly related to the blimp or anything but a few months ago there was a local MP from somewhere (I think) and he tore up a S*n newspaper on stage. It went something along the lines of - "In Liverpool they learned to do this a long time ago".....

Thanks

think this is what your looking for bav. its around a min and a half in. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg37giLxY80
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Well in Ivor lad , will look boss.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion