THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL - AC MILAN VS LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 8:39 am

peewee wrote:
Sabre wrote:
peewee wrote:
Judge wrote:isnt it true that by bringing mascherano off, that left space for kaka to exploit, that led to inzaghi's second goal ??

yes judge that is the case, mash had the better of kaka all game, removing mash gave kaka more freedom, a substitution had to be made to bring on a forward (made too late in my opinion), i think it would have been better to remove alonso

I'm sure you would.

Under normal circunstances if you want to come back from a goal, Alonso would be the right player to remove. A bit like in the Chelsea home leg, in which we had to take some risk to come back from their goal, and once we scored, Alonso came in.

But bearing in mind that we were going to be outnumbered in midfield with the second striker in the pitch and that would mean risk, and bearing in mind that Mascherano had a yellow card, I can understand Rafa's decission.

And yes, Judge is right, when you take risks to draw a game, you expose your goal more, and we noticed that Mascherano wasn't on the pitch and we had another striker. But we had to do it.

the fact is we were losing and therfore had to take risks, what a strange comment to make, are you suggesting we should have just settled for losing 1-0?

I'm suggesting that when you believe in what you're doing you hardly make changes before min 65, until you really have fitness reasons to make substitutions or you want to look desperately for the draw.

In fact, Milan's favourite escenario is counter attack, and they showed it quickly.

Settling for a 1-0?  ??? who would think that.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 am

I thought the subs a little odd myself, but in fairness Rafa does keep everyone guessing and just because I can't work it out, it doesn't mean he's stupid :D My one gripe would be that around the hour mark I would've really changed things up. Once the fella got booked who was marking Pennant I would've pulled the winger, moved Gerrard wide right and I think they'dve sh!te themselves. Then I'd have pulled Kuyt and brought Bellamy and Crouch on, and given Zenden the old shephards crook and given Kewell a go. Still, that's just me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu May 24, 2007 8:45 am

Sabre wrote:
peewee wrote:
Sabre wrote:
peewee wrote:
Judge wrote:isnt it true that by bringing mascherano off, that left space for kaka to exploit, that led to inzaghi's second goal ??

yes judge that is the case, mash had the better of kaka all game, removing mash gave kaka more freedom, a substitution had to be made to bring on a forward (made too late in my opinion), i think it would have been better to remove alonso

I'm sure you would.

Under normal circunstances if you want to come back from a goal, Alonso would be the right player to remove. A bit like in the Chelsea home leg, in which we had to take some risk to come back from their goal, and once we scored, Alonso came in.

But bearing in mind that we were going to be outnumbered in midfield with the second striker in the pitch and that would mean risk, and bearing in mind that Mascherano had a yellow card, I can understand Rafa's decission.

And yes, Judge is right, when you take risks to draw a game, you expose your goal more, and we noticed that Mascherano wasn't on the pitch and we had another striker. But we had to do it.

the fact is we were losing and therfore had to take risks, what a strange comment to make, are you suggesting we should have just settled for losing 1-0?

I'm suggesting that when you believe in what you're doing you hardly make changes before min 65, until you really have fitness reasons to make substitutions or you want to look desperately for the draw.

In fact, Milan's favourite escenario is counter attack, and they showed it quickly.

Settling for a 1-0?  ??? who would think that.

well it seems that is waht you were suggesting and thats why i mentioned it
112-1077774096

Postby PhiLFC » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

bigmick wrote:Don't know about Alonso or anyone else being shocking. You've got to allow for the fact that they are a very good team and we shaded a pretty tight encounter overall so nobody was shocking.

I know Mick but we all watch games from a different perspective and what I saw was an Alonso that made awful tackles and didn't appear to contribute much to our team...

I thought we lacked a bit of quality up front and maybe Crouch coming on earlier would've been the answer

I don't think I'm gonna watch this game again (don't think I can) so I only have last night's beer induced view of the game... maybe I'm wrong  :down:
PhiLFC

Postby Soul » Thu May 24, 2007 8:59 am

We lost the final but we were winners in the sense that we were Liverpool and acted the right way.

We played a sparkling first half where we could’ve scored 2-3 goals. We wasted our chances and that’s why we lost in the end. Second half was different and Milan woke up after sleeping through the first half. They thought they had killed the match when they scored to 2-0 but they had to realise that Liverpool NEVER gives up.

The Liverpool supporters in Athens and in the rest of the world can say with consolation in their hearts that they gave the best they could. We held up our scarves, we sang and gave the players all the support they would need. And it wasn’t all a waste when you think back of how we played the last 10 minutes.

We have reason to be proud of being in the final again even though we lost it.

We’re ready for next season already and with a few signings we will be fighting for glory again starting next August.

We love you Liverpool!!!

You’ll Never Walk Alone
Jan Mølby: 'Liverpool have a soul'
Soul

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 8:59 am

bigmick wrote:I thought the subs a little odd myself, but in fairness Rafa does keep everyone guessing and just because I can't work it out, it doesn't mean he's stupid :D My one gripe would be that around the hour mark I would've really changed things up. Once the fella got booked who was marking Pennant I would've pulled the winger, moved Gerrard wide right and I think they'dve sh!te themselves. Then I'd have pulled Kuyt and brought Bellamy and Crouch on, and given Zenden the old shephards crook and given Kewell a go. Still, that's just me.

Yes, that would make sense, because Pennant make a great effort physically in the first half, and it was difficult to keep that rythm up in all the second half. Anyhow, what do I know?  :) Just a bloody football supporter.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 24, 2007 9:00 am

Im absolutley gutted. I was dissapointed that we didnt take our chance (Stevie how did you miss that, you were clean through). More so im dissapointed in the manner in which Milan took the lead.

Dont really have much else to say right now. The only posative I can take is that we have a great chance now to beef up the team in the summer. With no football tournament and some money sure to be spent we need to concentrate hard for next year.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu May 24, 2007 9:01 am

They got lucky with the first, a rather careless free-kick to give away but jammy counts nonetheless. I was disappointed we played 4-5-1 which meant we had a lot of possession and controlled the midfield but unfortunately as usual we lacked penetration. Gerrard for me was MOTM and probably should have equalised, Kuyt was offside for his goal and for a lone striker worked hard but really needed to be in the box more.

The subs were odd, I guess Zenden not getting past the last defender and not putting in enough quality crosses was why Kewell came on but he showed why so many on here's call for him to be included were deluded. Crouch came on for Mascherano which I called although I would have gone for Bellamy's pace against an older defence. Crouch's contribution was one good shot, he came on a bit too late for me which is one criticism I would make of Rafa in general. Sometimes we'll be losing and he doesn't even make all three substitutions, you have to try something. Arbeloa coming on was just plain baffling, too late to make a difference and lacking any real logic unless Finnan was injured and at that stage it was too late to make much difference even if he was.

But the truth is our defence made too many mistakes and it cost us both goals, that and a lack of penetration up front. Pennant really annoyed me, he threatened to beat the defender then decided against it and cut back infield all too often. Finally got a corner right, I was surprised Gerrard wasn't taking these but then with so few good headers of the ball in the box to aim for..........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:02 am

anyway some pics

112-1077774096

Postby Owzat » Thu May 24, 2007 9:03 am

And congratulations to AC Milan, that was a way better final than the third placed play off on Saturday (would have been if it had been the final)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu May 24, 2007 9:06 am

One things for sure, you can bet your boll.ocks that Rafa will be getting a lot of players now. We really need quality on the left wing.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu May 24, 2007 9:09 am

peewee wrote:Image

He's thinking Gerrard deserves this trophy more than Milan
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soul » Thu May 24, 2007 9:11 am

bavlondon wrote:One things for sure, you can bet your boll.ocks that Rafa will be getting a lot of players now. We really need quality on the left wing.

Good point. I guess we would've bought players anyway. But still this final will bear a reaction which hopefully will manifest itself in the form of a couple of new faces.
Jan Mølby: 'Liverpool have a soul'
Soul

Postby puroresu » Thu May 24, 2007 9:13 am

bavlondon wrote:One things for sure, you can bet your boll.ocks that Rafa will be getting a lot of players now. We really need quality on the left wing.

Malouda from Lyon would be perfect
puroresu

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu May 24, 2007 9:15 am

I blame Alan fucking Hansen for jixing us. :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion