The academy - Failing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 pm

I've read a lot of posts since the TNS game basically saying that the likes of Potter, Welsh etc are not good enough for LFC and will never make it.

Have we had any big player come through since the acadamy opened? ???? ???? I myself can not think of one that has come through. The last big player to come through was Stevie G which was when the frenchman took over 6 years ago, and he did not come through the new acadamy as it wasnt built. We have had average to decent players come through, mellor, warnock, welsh, potter etc etc.

Whats the problem?? scouting system not good enough??? coaching staff not up to it? ??? just an unlucky era of no real genuine class young players? ??? Are they pampered to much and have it to easy so lose hunger? ???

I would love to know what Rafa's plans are to sort this out. (is our scouting network big enough to take in every liverpool sunday league in???, if not why not? stevie G is on 100grand a week, would pay for 10 scouts a year)

i know rafa is trying to buy young europeans but i dont believe that is the answer. We NEED local lads, because when Stevie G a Carra are gone we have no-one. looks like to me that the days of Fowler, Mcmanaman, Carra, stevie G, Owen etc etc are over!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:08 pm

i think its more of a timing. we were lucky to have owen, fowler, mcmanaman, gerrard, carra, thompson to come out one after another. Now it looks like no-one worthy is coming out. Guess we will have to wait for a few more years.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hotrod » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:15 pm

i understand fully wat u mean but i can t expect brilliant players like stevie and carra and that lot to come out of the academey look at man united they had a good crop of players but now they have nt got any1 near that class unless u count fletcher so i reckon warncock is a class player and wud get into most prem sides and welsh also looks promising but i have always rated potter and so does rafa he seems to be the one who could break into the first team but one player who really impressed me is david raven he has capatined engalnd at various levels and looked good against spurs that tackle was amazing i rekon he will be the guy to make it that was wat stevie highway said before the burnly game which was :censored: tho
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:19 pm

Yes we keep seeing Pottor and Warnock quite often. Especially with all the competitions we will be challanging for, i think the Carling cup will once again be contested by the "future stars" or Liverpool
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:19 pm

Could this be why houllier never used academy players exept owen and gerrard because our academy players not good enough for LFC and will never make it?

To be honest though I really rate potter and welsh and remember potter is 20 and welsh is 21 it's probably a shock to them to actually playing. Another player I like from the academy is warnock reminds me a bit of carra because he never gives up or backs out of a tackle.

Potter, welsh and warnock all had good carling cup campaigns last season and warnock and potter played very well vs TNS. I was impressed by the crossing of potter. Zak Whitbread also impressed me during the carling cup he reminded me of sami in many ways (not just the hair)

I do agree that we need local lads but I can see what rafa is trying to do by buying young europeans. He is doing it so that they can get used to the english game early and have a very bright future in the english game. This may not work out but I have full confidence in Rafa's ability.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:24 pm

I think we will become the next Arsenal, but Spanish not French.
It could be worse.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:29 pm

It could be better. One thing i noticed about much of the TNS game, especially in the first half was the standard of passing. It was very slick and smooth, lots of quick one touches that were used to seeing for Arsenal. If you remember when we played Valenica a few yers ago they passed us around the pitch like we wernt there. I was actually shocked how well we were passing the ball for a minute. I think that with the right amount funding and Rafas ability to spot talent early i think we really can dominate for the next few years. So far so good.....
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:18 pm

:censored: hell how many times? every 3 months or so you post this post.

Give it a bloody chance for :censored: sake.
115-1073096938

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Warnock and Raven with Witbread, I think they will do really well. Potter isnt that bad and its very rare to find players that burst on to the seen aged 17 - 18.

Give it time.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:34 pm

stu_the_red wrote: :censored: hell how many times? every 3 months or so you post this post.

So you just like to moan and groan?

Kinda reminds me to Stu Shepherd in Phone Booth.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:42 pm

Warnock is a decent player and there are a couple of others coming through.  It is a lottery with the youth system...one min you bring out the likes of Gerrard,Owen and Carra....the next Ostembor....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:44 pm

A complain I have about the academy is that it seems they don't feed the players well.  The players can give kate moss a run for her money  :p

I would have no doubt the raven or whitebred could have broke into the 1st team long ago if they were 'buff'. The have the technical ability....but physically....  :down:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:47 pm

A complain I have about the academy is that it seems they don't feed the players well.  The players can give kate moss a run for her money   

I would have no doubt the raven or whitebred could have broke into the 1st team long ago if they were 'buff'. The have the technical ability....but physically....   

Maybe they should get the youth players to hang out with James Beattie?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:43 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:
stu_the_red wrote::censored: hell how many times? every 3 months or so you post this post.

So you just like to moan and groan?

Kinda reminds me to Stu Shepherd in Phone Booth.

Oh stop cryin ya tool. Still bitter after i labbled you a newbie in the same class as Joependo? :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:47 pm

Look at the end of the day, players like Fowler, Carragher, Owen, Gerrard don't come through every week. Every season or in most cases every 10.

Liverpool may not produce anything over the next 5 years. But i would put my house on it that in the next 20, half a team will of superstars will come out of that academy.

Every 3 months you post this... Potter is never going to make it. Warnock is a good player, could become another Carragher, Whitbread... not a cat in hells chance and as for Raven and Welsh... well, its 50/50 as to weather they make the grade, at the minute i'd have to say they won't.

Give the academy time for gods sake. It will produce.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion